2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

Feel sorry for Jovanovic. A good player in the Belgium league for Standard Liege but it never worked out for him at Liverpool. He'll no doubt go and continue to be a talented player at Anderlecht, much like Voronin did when he left them too, and they'll become success stories again. Of course most English people will scoff, roll their eyes and say "just couldn't hack it in the greatest league in the world, shite players" and on with their days.

In Sunderland news it sounds like our beloved smoking Frenchman Steeeeeeed is going to be out the door soon, apparently off to St. Etienne. Shame he'll probably never return to play against us as he'd have been given a brilliant reception.

Are you on about the article on SSN? If so, it's utter bollocks, as usual SSN reporting false headlines, nothing new there.

SAF was asked by a french reporter a couple of questions after the game last night, one regarding Berbatov, a question he seemingly didn't actually understand. Which led to the response he gave, but it's all been taken out of context and seems to be a complete misunderstanding. Of course that doesn't stop SSN from putting up a false headline that he's apparently dropped a PSG hint :lol:

Feel sorry for Jovanovic. A good player in the Belgium league for Standard Liege but it never worked out for him at Liverpool. He'll no doubt go and continue to be a talented player at Anderlecht, much like Voronin did when he left them too, and they'll become success stories again. Of course most English people will scoff, roll their eyes and say "just couldn't hack it in the greatest league in the world, shite players" and on with their days.

Jovanovic really got a bit of a bum deal I think. I don't think anyone outside of Rafa fancied him at Liverpool.

But Voronin was never that great. Aside from his time at Hertha Berlin, for a striker he seems to have a pretty low goal return in general, he scored 32 goals in 92 games for Bayer Leverkusen and has only scored 9 times for Dinamo Moscow in nearly 50 games. Is that really the record of a top striker?

Ringy put it best when he said that at Bayer Leverkusen, Berbatov would've scored more goals if he hadn't have been playing with Voronin. :shifty:

• Like 1

Seen the odd match online and on ESPN with Dinamo Moscow and Voronin is always dropping back and linking up the play well, and is a large part of their success if you ask me - as they're having a good season.

Further reading, from a suitable East European boffin, is here:

http://www.thefootballramble.com/blog/entry/voronin-earns-himself-a-holiday

I'll admit, he does that reasonably well. He did that a few times for Liverpool. He's a much better link up player/attacking midfield player maybe than a striker though.

I'm not saying either him or Jovanovic are world beaters, but both are good enough footballers where it just didn't work out for them in the Premier League. If anything I just feel a bit sorry for them that people will discuss them as the 'worst players ever' and the like, but both have had good careers aside from the ill-fated Premier League move.

Similar to Forlan in a way, except he's still in the public eye due to playing in a high calibre league and international football. But there's a lot of players who struggle in the Premier League and essentially get laughed out of it again, but manage to regain a foot hold on their career and do well again.

If you want to see an actually shit footballer go hunt out Jeff Whitley and ask him to kick a ball, Jovanovic will look like Messi then. (Beware if you do actually attempt this though, he may try and rob you - he needs to get drug money somehow..) :D

I was actually quite excited when we signed Voronin, mainly for his fairly diverse range of facial expressions. On paper, I don't think he was a bad choice for a second string player given his record at Leverkusen, which is pretty good for a second striker. But yeah, he flopped horribly - just like a lot of signings it's hard to know how a player'll do until you get them on the pitch.

Samba would be good for Spurs, but I don't see why you need him that badly. I suppose you are now one defender light after Woodgate left, but I don't see why you need to fork out on Samba and exchange another player (if its a centre back, its kind of pointless because you're losing and then gaining one). You've got Dawson, Gallas, King, Bassong and Kaboul, and perhaps you could do with a cheap but effective centre back who can provide cover for a few games if there is injuries. I think surely forking out upwards of 5 million for Samba and a player in exchange is a bit much - but hey, you're the Spurs fan, you know more than me and maybe I'm missing something, here.

However, I do think you're in desperate need of a striker. A good one.

Ledley King surely won't be able to carry on much longer, Kaboul might find himself having to step into full back lots because of his versatility and Samba is an improvement on Bassong.

He'll probably score a fair share of goals if they do sign him too cause Spurs have some great midfielders who can exploit Samba's heading prowess, I think he's worth the money.

He'll probably sign Samba as a replacement for Crouch.....

In other news, end of another day, and Fabregas STILL hasn't gone, and we STILL haven't signed the defender we need. I hate transfer windows. Just shut already.

Edited by Gooner27

• Admin

Leicester City have signed St Etienne midfielder Gelson Fernandes on a season-long loan deal, subject to international clearance.

QPR have completed the signing of DJ Campbell from Blackpool.

Leeds have secured the services of Celtic's Darren O'Dea on a season-long loan deal.

Leicester City have signed St Etienne midfielder Gelson Fernandes on a season-long loan deal, subject to international clearance.

QPR have completed the signing of DJ Campbell from Blackpool.

Leeds have secured the services of Celtic's Darren O'Dea on a season-long loan deal.

Not confirmed yet but the fact we've gone public on it suggests that it must be nailed on.