The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

I'll leap on the misfortune of City all day long. Why exactly would any single United supporter not want them to lose? It's a title race, people aren't exactly going to sit there relaxed.

A few things from tonight:

Passing Stats:

Carrick 129/139/93%

Scholes 113/126/90%

Evans 96/106/91%

200 Premier League games at Old Trafford where United have scored first... 188 wins, 12 draws, 0 defeats.

Carrick proving his worth once again, he's been our best player this season by far. His passing and defensive stats are up there with the best in the league this season.

Which is funny, because he gets far too much stick from internet fans.

Carrick's got a lot better recently, but I'd say he deserved his stick. There was a lot of hype around him at one point and he just never lived up to it.

I think alot of the stick over the years has been uncalled for, he's been an almost ever-present in our midfield since he signed and we've won 4 league titles in 5 seasons and been to 3 European finals since. The job he does for us he does to a very high level but because it's such a negative position he plays in and he's such a no frills type of player alot of the time he gets the usual stick from alot of United 'fans'.

I think this season he has stepped up his game even more and because of our lack of quality in midfield at times, people are starting to see the qualities he brings to the table each week and I think that is doing no harm to the lads confidence. I said it a couple weeks back but it wouldn't surprise me if he's back in the England squad when the next friendlies come around.

I've always rated Carrick, think he's a fantastic player and very efficient at his job. He's a no thrills player for the most part which sets him up badly for the current England generation who want beautiful hollywood balls played for 90 minutes.

Xabi Alonso rates him highly, so I think that's praise enough, because while a lot of what Carrick does seems innocuous or inconsequential it's usually something such as moving the ball along or even putting it into that space between the opponents midfield and defence, and Carrick is probably one of those players that you don't realise his worth until he's not there anymore.

For me he would be a shoo-in for starting in the Euro's now, particularly with Wilshere unlikely to feature. Ideally he would be alongside Gerrard and Parker in the midfield, but ultimately he may end up lucky to even get on 'The Plane' and I imagine Barry will start ahead of him.

But it's definitely nice to see Carrick starting to get some of the praise he deserves from others, that said, one misplaced pass in his next match and he'll probably be back to being shite.

• Admin

Carrick was terrific for us.

It was freezing at WHL last night!! But we were never not in control. Wigan are going down for sure this year - the Championship is their level. Only negative things were BAE having an absolute shocker, me forgetting my hat/gloves/scarf on the coldest night of the year, and there being a complete bellend of a chav sat behind us (does he not realize that this is the West Upper stand?!!)

My new favourite chant:

Pays what he wants,

Pays what he wants!

Harry Redknapp, he pays what he wants!!

Did something just think 'enough is enough and its time for a change', leading someone else to base it entirely on Owen Harts 'enough is enough and its time for a change' attire?

Also, boo Kurt Angle predicting a Blackburn win.

It is utterly terrible. Did they honestly think THIS was a good idea? I'm not the greatest advocate of change as it is, but this is just unspeakably awful. Why squash the headlines into one middle column? Why have massive 'scores' taking up half the screen? Its 12:15 on Wednesday, I'm pretty sure I don't wanna be keeping up with the non-existent scores.

For crying out loud.