The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

That's quite a stat, that.

Wow, they comfortably stroked the ball around against a Stoke side that offered nothing. I'm glad that a team who are joint top of the Premiership have players that can pass it six yards left or right.

And my point earlier was that, whilst I appreciate how happy a result may make an opposition fan, it makes me laugh how quickly those fans are in here, ahead of the fans of the teams who lose, but also generally focusing a fair bit more on their rivals misfortune than thier own victories.

• Like 1

I'll leap on the misfortune of City all day long. Why exactly would any single United supporter not want them to lose? It's a title race, people aren't exactly going to sit there relaxed.

A few things from tonight:

Passing Stats:

Carrick 129/139/93%

Scholes 113/126/90%

Evans 96/106/91%

200 Premier League games at Old Trafford where United have scored first... 188 wins, 12 draws, 0 defeats.

Carrick proving his worth once again, he's been our best player this season by far. His passing and defensive stats are up there with the best in the league this season.

Wow, they comfortably stroked the ball around against a Stoke side that offered nothing. I'm glad that a team who are joint top of the Premiership have players that can pass it six yards left or right.

And my point earlier was that, whilst I appreciate how happy a result may make an opposition fan, it makes me laugh how quickly those fans are in here, ahead of the fans of the teams who lose, but also generally focusing a fair bit more on their rivals misfortune than thier own victories.

I assume he meant the Old Trafford stat, which is ridiculous. They've only dropped 24 points from a winning position in 200 attempts, obviously a lot of that is down to sheer quality/tactics but you have to question whether they sometimes get too much respect and people think "fuck, we've no chance" once they go down.

I assume he meant the Old Trafford stat, which is ridiculous. They've only dropped 24 points from a winning position in 200 attempts, obviously a lot of that is down to sheer quality/tactics but you have to question whether they sometimes get too much respect and people think "fuck, we've no chance" once they go down.

Haha, to be honest, forgot that stat was even attached >_>

I'll let Liam speak for himself, but for me it's the mockery week-in-week-out. Whilst I don't see it here that much (probably because I'm blind to it rather than it not occurring), it's fucking EVERYWHERE when you go anywhere that hasn't got a general IQ Level above 100 (and I'm being generous here). When I stream matches everyone seems to be in a frenzy to say "OMGZ U BOUGHT THA LEAGUE AND CNT BEET EVTON!" "UNITED DONT BUY ANYFIN!" etc etc. I just focus on my team(s) and hope they win and that any challengers around them don't win, but I dont usually get all "lol your team" about it.

• Like 1

Is it just me that gets annoyed when MOTD show the game that's just been on Sky first? I know they have to assume some people haven't seen it, and its not usually as bad as tonight when it only finished an hour ago, but surely if I were a fan of one of these teams I'd have found somewhere to watch it. Ugh.

I would usually agree, but they have to in order to set up the rest of the show. Because it builds tension for the United and, to an extent, the Spurs game.

Also, I still don't understand how Berba doesn't get more games. The man makes some of his passing look effortless.

Is it just me that gets annoyed when MOTD show the game that's just been on Sky first? I know they have to assume some people haven't seen it, and its not usually as bad as tonight when it only finished an hour ago, but surely if I were a fan of one of these teams I'd have found somewhere to watch it. Ugh.

I've just switched it on (too busy watching deadline day) but it annoys me when they show the top teams first for no real reason, City/Everton sounded dull beyong the guy chaining himself to the goalpost and Scum won via 2 (apparently indisputable) penalties. Mind you, I suppose all the games had the top teams playing in them but still, the Liverpool and Spurs games sounded more appealing than the Manchesters'.

I seldom complain at the match order on MotD. They aren't gonna run their order based off what Sky does, certainly, and they often seem to pick the better games first. The other week Chelsea were rightly on dead last when they drew 0-0 with Norwich, even after Stoke-WBA.

Plus, like Split said it works out better for the rest of the order, to show Man Utd and Spurs attempt to close the gap on the defeated leaders.

On another note of 'football things that have irritated me today', Skys (and the media in general) ignorance of Newcastle continues. When looking at the league table they pointed out that Everton had moved ahead of Norwich, Sunderland and Villa, but Liverpool had just climbed above Arsenal. We could actually be top of the league and they'd still do title odds 2nd through 7th...

I seldom complain at the match order on MotD. They aren't gonna run their order based off what Sky does, certainly, and they often seem to pick the better games first. The other week Chelsea were rightly on dead last when they drew 0-0 with Norwich, even after Stoke-WBA.

Plus, like Split said it works out better for the rest of the order, to show Man Utd and Spurs attempt to close the gap on the defeated leaders.

I've less of an issue with it tonight to be honest, the title race story needs it even if the hour gap is irritating. It's more when a fairly inconsequential game that's been on ESPN at 5 is on first, especially if the big teams play Sunday and they just fancy putting Liverpool on.