The Carling Cup 2011/12 Thread

Starvinho

After Palace were drawn as a home team, the last three left in the pot were Southampton, Chelsea and Everton. There was a 2 in 3 chance of making two interesting PL v Championship ties, but no.

Stupid Matt Le Tissier. :angry:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin
Aldershot: Worner, Herd, Jones, Morris, Straker, McGlashan, Vincenti, Guttridge, Rodman, Hylton, Rankine.

Subs: Young, Aaron Brown, Collins, Bubb, Pulis, Smith, Panther.

Manchester United: Amos, Jones, Vidic, Fryers, Fabio, Valencia, Cleverley, Park, Diouf, Owen, Berbatov.

Subs: de Gea, Vermijl, Michael Keane, Pogba, William Keane, Morrison, Cole.

Referee: Lee Probert (Wiltshire)

Great to see Cleverley back. But come on Aldershot!

It saddens me to see Berbatov stuck playing Carling Cup football and not getting a look in for any of the other games we play. How he went from top scorer to 4th choice striker so quickly is just amazing. I'm surprised Fergie never took the rumoured £15m bid from PSG when he had the chance. He's doing great today (granted it's Aldershot) so hopefully some first team starts are around the corner for him.

It saddens me to see Berbatov stuck playing Carling Cup football and not getting a look in for any of the other games we play. How he went from top scorer to 4th choice striker so quickly is just amazing. I'm surprised Fergie never took the rumoured £15m bid from PSG when he had the chance. He's doing great today (granted it's Aldershot) so hopefully some first team starts are around the corner for him.

Pretty please...

Berbatov_375683a.jpg

• Admin

Now corrected, the BBC live text briefly read...

2133: Aldershit threaten again and it's that man Gutteridge who has a free-kick from the edge of the area saved by Manchester United keeper Ben Amos. They're doing their best to take at least one fond memory away from this game.

2142: With regard to a now corrected earlier entry, AlderSHOT I'm sorry. I'm so, so, so, so, so, so sorry. Sorry. That's sorry. Once for good measure; sorry.

2146: I think it's fair to say the last few minutes haven't been my finest work. Thank goodness not many people noticed. Just to check that's the case I'll have a quick check on Twitter... oh. Oh dear. As an American sports journalist similarly skilled to myself once said, boom goes the dynamite.

:lmao:

Anyway, Man Utd, Arsenal, Crystal Palace and Cardiff all through.

Good result last night and some decent performances too. Berbatov might have played himself into a start against Everton and I liked Cleverley and Park's creativity in midfield. Good to see Pogba and Morrison get some more game time too, I'm hoping those two can break into the first-team over the next 12 months. As for the next round I don't mind who we get, I wouldn't mind City or Liverpool if they get through. Arsenal would be a nice tie I think or maybe Cardiff away?

Urghhhh another away game at Stoke with our current run of creating loads of chances and not finishing them, this should be a stressful match tonight :(

Hopefully we get through and get a home tie so I can actually get a home game this season after we changed our ticket system to the most retarded thing ever.

Can't see Chelsea progressing if Everton even put out even a half-decent team. We struggle at Goodison anyway, let alone with the kind of line-up we're going to have:

Unlikely to be involved: Raul Meireles (cup-tied), Ramires (injured), Didier Drogba (suspension), Jose Bosingwa (suspension), Ashley Cole (suspension), John Terry (on 4 yellows), Frank Lampard (on 4 yellows), Fernando Torres (not risked for Arsenal at the weekend now that Didier won't be available).

I'd say it'll probably be:

Cech

Ferreira - Ivanovic - Alex - Bertrand

McEachran - Romeu - Malouda

Anelka - Lukaku - Kalou

Could be any of the three goalkeepers though. I only suggest Cech because he could be made captain again in Terry/Lampard/Drogba's absence. Otherwise I would expect Turnbull.

Very real possibility of getting beat by Blackburn tonight, especially if Steve Kean plays a strong side to try to get a result (not that I imagine there'll be a lot of home fans to see it). Hoping for the best and a home tie in the next round, we've had something like 3 home games in our last 16 cup games, last one was Arsenal in the CC last season.