2011/12 UEFA Europa League

Lineker

It was another shocking defensive display last night, and if it wasn't for 3 or 4 top-class saves from de Gea, we could be looking at a much bigger deficit going into the 2nd leg.

It sucked to concede the third goal the way we did, and I know the second was offside, but wow... sometimes you just need to blame the defending, not the officiating. The third didn't come as a direct result of Evra losing his boot, it came courtesy of a long ball lumped up the pitch. We conceded one like it against Liverpool too. It was a great save from de Gea from the initial shot, and he was off balance once the save was made, so the blame rests with Rafael. He was so indecisive, and it cost us.

The good thing is, even though Athletic are very strong at home, is that scoring goals next week shouldn't be a problem - parking the bus just isn't their style, so we'll get chances without a doubt, it's just a question of whether we can take the game to them like they did to us.

Full credit to them, it was an entertaining game - and I love, love, love their away shirt. :wub:

Can Dave Woods not pronounce Bilbao or something? Does he have to refer to them as "Athletic" every time? Chris Kamara has it right on Twitter, calling them Athletico Wigan and Athletico Oldham :lol:

Their clubs name is Athletic Club. In the same way Sporting Clube de Portugal - or Sporting to most of us - are referred to Sporting Lisbon. It's pretty much there to inform everyone where they are from, but their actual club name is just Athletic Club in this instance so Dave Woods was actually right in that respect to call them Athletic. But that was one of the few things he and Graham got right - Graham Taylor's 'daylight rule' for the offside makes you wonder if he's even watched football in the past few years.

Yeah I read about it after the game, I wasn't even aware of their "Basque players only" rule which seems a crazy (and somewhat illegal in a way) policy in the modern era but it makes it all the more impressive that they're such a good team.

That offside rubbish from Taylor made me genuinely scared that the man was ever the England manager.

They get around it because they also allow anyone who has parents/grandparents from the Basque region and anyone who was trained in the Basque region for most of their youth career. Or something like that, I'm sure Ace will be able to clarify properly.

The rules are quite relaxed these days to be honest, anyone from elsewhere but raised in the Basque country can play for Athletic, the boundaries are often stretched to include areas perhaps not strictly thought of as Basque and Amorebieta - who didn't play last night due to suspension - was born in Venezuela to but has Basque grandparents and moved over in his childhood, so he can play for Athletic as well. The rules or ideals aren't as strict because they still need to compete, they only have a talent pool of a few million people, so that's part of it.

The reason it's not illegal is because, strictly, they aren't rules. They're unwritten. There's nothing the says Athletic can't sign anyone they like, they just won't - it's agreed upon. In the same sense Zenit St. Petersburg won't sign black players - that's obviously racist, but there's no actual mandate that says they can't sign black player, they just won't, or at least the fans won't allow it, so that's why they don't. It's staggering really. We've been over it plenty of times trying to create teams using only players from the north east and it's tough, the fact Athletic produce player after player of such talent is amazing - most of their team are in their earlier 20's anyways - and they keep coming through the youth ranks anyways. It's phenomenal. It's the fact the players are nurtured through from such a young age and take to the Basque nationality so fervently as to why Llorente hasn't moved on, or Javi Martinez. And why Munian may stay for years to come as well. Joseba Etxeberria came through from Real Sociedad but is an Athletic legend and in fact played out his last year of his contract for free with Athletic, such is the passion for the team from their players.

Right folks, for next week I want 100 lines on.. :shifty:

• Admin

I guess that this belongs here...

Cardiff City and Swansea City could be given the chance to qualify for Europe next season through the Welsh Cup.

Europe's governing body, Uefa, is considering a request from the Football Association of Wales to allow exiled clubs to represent Wales in European competitions.

But to do so, the clubs are likely to be forced to withdraw from the FA Cup and Football League Cup.

FAW chief Jonathan Ford: "There's going to have to be some compromise."

Ford added that the clubs would need make a decision at the start of the season on which route into Europe they choose.

Since 1995, only clubs from the Welsh league system have been eligible to represent Wales in Europe.

Welsh clubs playing in the English league pyramid - Cardiff City, Swansea City, Wrexham, Newport County, Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Tydfil - were barred by the FAW from entering the Welsh Cup 17 years ago after pressure from Uefa.

But The FAW invited the six Welsh clubs playing in the England to participate in this season's Welsh Cup.

Blue Square Bet Premier sides Newport and Wrexham along with Merthyr Town (formerly Merthyr Tydfil) of the Western Football League accepted the FAW's invitation.

Swansea City, Cardiff City and Blue Square Bet North side Colwyn Bay chose not to enter.

Before the ban came into force in 1995, Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Newport and Merthyr Tydfil all represented Wales in the old European Cup Winners' Cup through the Welsh Cup.

Those European ties created some of the most memorable matches in Welsh club football history.

FAW chief executive Ford is keen to see the exiled clubs return to the Welsh Cup but it is the issue of European qualification that has needed clarification.

Ford hopes a definite decision will be made son after Uefa's executive committee meets in Istanbul on 20 and 21 March.

Previous attempts by the FAW have failed, with Uefa stating teams could only take part in Europe through the competitions of one national association.

"I've had several meeting with Uefa on this," added Ford. "We have been working very hard with Uefa to find solutions here.

"It's something we've been debating for quite a while and something's that's going to their executive committee meeting in a couple of weeks from now.

"Last year we invited the exiles back in but of course their route into Europe was always going to be complicated.

"Uefa rulings state that you can't participate in two competitions in two different countries and a successful route in one or the other through to Europe.

"If the decision goes through it will mean those clubs that are in exile at the moment that play in the Welsh Cup, should they choose, ultimately would have a guaranteed route in to Europe.

"[it would be] a fantastic opportunity for Newport, Colwyn Bay even Swansea and Cardiff. Let's hope they may play in the Welsh Cup soon as well.

"Ultimately they would have choices to make. I don't think they would be allowed to play in both competitions. I think they may have to make a decision.

"But if they came back into the Welsh Cup they would have a guaranteed place should they win the competition."

Meanwhile, Ford revealed that had Cardiff won the Carling Cup they would have been eligible to compete in next season's Europa Cup as the English league's representatives.

If the option is Welsh Cup or F.A./Carling Cup, then this is totally pointless. Cardiff and Swansea are not going to forego the money from those big competitions just so they can thrash Rhyl and Bangor City. The players won't want to play for a club not in the big Cup competitions either.

I clearly don't really get the finances, but what do the FAW gain from it? Do Cardiff and Swansea pay them anything, or would they if they competed in Europe as a Welsh club? And would this allow Wales to increase their European coefficients and get more than that 50% chance through the league, therefore Swansea and Cardiff increasing the odds of Airbus UK playing in Europe? In fact, how many European places do Wales get currently?

So confused, other than I presume they aren't dancing on the streets of Total Network Solutions today after this news.

Edited by Colly

And watch has attendances decline rapidly and Cardiff get in even more financial trouble? No thanks.

And to Colly, I think what the FAW gets from this is that increases the profile of Welsh football or some such corporate-sounding bs.

One of the very few clubs I wouldn't be bothered about going out of business. Horrible club.