General Movie Thread

Jimmy

The Wolf of Wall Street Trailer #2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2cA2w0UkZY

Jesus, Christmas is a long ways away. :(

Oh yeah, if anybody's curious the runtime for this will apparently be 2 hours and 45 minutes long.

So, a typical Scorsese picture. :shifty:

I alluded to this in the Comic Book films thread after TKz reminded me I forgot to talk about it earlier but: Joe Cornish is now the frontrunner to helm Star Trek 3.

As a big fan of Attack the Block, this would be tremendous. I've been curious what Cornish would tackle next now that he's probably done prepping Ant-Man with Edgar Wright. And man, talk about an inspiring choice. Say what you will about Hollywood but with studios trying their hardest to avoid paying people, it's opened the doors for some great, up and coming directors to get big gigs like that.

I've actually not yet seen Attack the Block. It looks entertaining, but... and this is a problem that's stupid and will only matter to those that've lived in the UK... the kids sound just like the chavs I see every day being annoying shits. And that's proven to be stupidly hard to get past.

Get past it. The film is immense.

Also, I saw Ender's Game. And it was alright. Dragged a bit. Kind of boring. Haven't read the book, so I didn't know what was going to happen. And I'll admit that I didn't predict the events of the climax at all. So it gets points for that, I guess.

Yeah, I should, it's the sort of thing that I'd laugh at if someone else told me that and get annoyed at them for being stupid. :shifty:

I kind of want to see Enders Game since I've read some reviews that said it was actually kind of fun! But I'm not sure I care much for the kid actors heavy cast when I've heard little good about that aspect.

I've actually not yet seen Attack the Block. It looks entertaining, but... and this is a problem that's stupid and will only matter to those that've lived in the UK... the kids sound just like the chavs I see every day being annoying shits. And that's proven to be stupidly hard to get past.

It is stupid because that's like saying I won't watch a movie because of the stupid southern accents the character are using.:P

But what LL said. And also, keep in mind, that Edgar Wright is a good friend of Cornish's and produced the thing.

It is stupid because that's like saying I won't watch a movie because of the stupid southern accents the character are using. :P

But what LL said. And also, keep in mind, that Edgar Wright is a good friend of Cornish's and produced the thing.

I got very annoyed at Mrs. TKz giving this as a reason not to watch something ages ago.

I mean, I never said I wasn't a hypocrite, though. >_>

I kind of want to see Enders Game since I've read some reviews that said it was actually kind of fun! But I'm not sure I care much for the kid actors heavy cast when I've heard little good about that aspect.

Yeah, I mean, you got kids acting like adults, which is kinda weird. And it's only justified in the film because they're very smart and in a military program. Then you got Harrison Ford whose sole purpose is basically to masturbate over Ender.

The film has some fun aspects, but, ultimately, fell flat for me.

I'd probably have liked Kick-Ass 2 regardless but I was also a huge fan of the first.

But yeah, I realized the other day that the reason I'm able to tolerate and enjoy a lot of mediocre-to-bad movies is because those are the ones that I don't spend my money on and thus, don't get quite as upset about them not being that great.

I don't get upset about spending money on a movie and not liking it. It's a thing I made peace with very long ago. You're always rolling the dice.

I wish I liked Kick-Ass 2 after having loved the first one. But no.

It's not really the money to me; I'd quite happily rent them or buy the DVD's on the cheap, torrents are just easier and I'm reminded of them when they're uploaded. It's that I'm not going to head to the cinema, spend £20 on two tickets and waste three hours between getting there, adverts and driving and then spend money on food for a film that I'm not bothered about. When you cut all that out and I end up watching it on a night in alone as something to do before bed, I end up enjoying these films more than I otherwise would've.

I see pretty much every film I'm interested in enough. I don't really feel bad about pirating like this, because ultimately, if the option wasn't there, I just wouldn't see it in any way. So no one's actually losing any money from me! :P

The other side is stuff like Kings of Summer that I'd never find a cinema that's playing it anywhere near me. I love the cinema, but stuff like this makes me hope digital distribution starts to push harder for earlier releases of films.

Say what you will about Apple or iTunes but kudos to them for finding a way to do that last bit you talked about. It's becoming more and more commonplace for indie movies like Kings of Summer to get released on iTunes around the same time (if not before) they hit theaters. Which is great because I feel like I want to watch a lot more indie films than big blockbusters these days.

I don't see that as a justification for pirating things, but I'm also not chastising you for doing so. That'd make me a hypocrite. Though, these days I don't really pirate anything. I pay for Cable (which provides me with the channels I wanna see and OnDemand episodes of whatever I miss), I pay for Netflix, and I pay for Spotify. I have no need to pirate anything because if I can't see it on any of the mediums that I pay for at that moment, I'll usually wait to see them when they WILL be available on said mediums or see them at the theater.

You also have the advantage of living the US, though. If I didn't pirate TV, for example, I think the only shows I could keep up to date with would be Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. We've gotten better in the last few years, but there's a ton of stuff over here that can take as long as a full year to actually air over here. If you use the internet at all, there's no way you can avoid spoilers for that long.