2011/2012 UEFA Champions League

Starvinho

United were bloody awful last night going forward. It was a boring game from start to finish, and tried to be far too cute in and around the penalty area.

The positives were Rooney in midfield (I honestly think he could play there permanently if we had another attacking option in his place) and Benfica drawing with Basel, meaning we top the group and will win it with victory in the next game.

The match was very boring but it was essentially a second-string Man Utd team in places and they got to the job done. I thought Oletul Galati played with spirit and did well, although by the full time whistle I was glad to get away from the tired cliches from the commentators about Galati, it was somewhere between condesenstion and utterly patronising. As is typical when an English club plays a European minnow.

I would've taken the 3pts however they came, but the performance was still poor.

I mean, you're 1-0 up at home after 8mins, and have Nani and Valencia on the wings, with Hernandez and Berbatov up front, Rooney just behind. I expected more, that's all.

Ray Wilkins was spot-on. Every time we turned up the pace of the game, we ripped them to shreds, but the final ball/effort was severly lacking.

People in work today are talking all about Man City again. A good win, sure, but it was essentially a Villarreal B team. They'll still need to finish above Bayern to avoid the likes of Barca and Real in the last 16, which won't be easy.

• 3 weeks later...

De Gea, Fabio, Jones, Ferdinand, Evra, Nani, Fletcher, Carrick, Valencia, Young and Berbatov

One up top, a little worrying but with Valencia and Nani in, Young may play just behind Berbatov, should be interesting. Rooney out with a slight knock, but great news that Rafael is on the bench.

Pretty big night overall. Also a win for City will take them through, so let's all get behind Napoli tonight (Y)

Personally I'd like to see Ashley Young play right on the last man and allow Berbatov to drop into the hole. Just think that if Young could stretch their back line and push them back towards their own goal, it would give Dimi much more space to work his magic.

• Admin
Manchester United: de Gea, Fabio, Jones, Ferdinand, Evra, Valencia, Carrick, Fletcher, Nani, Young, Berbatov.

Subs: Lindegaard, Giggs, Smalling, Park, Hernandez, Rafael, Gibson.

Benfica: Artur Moraes, Maxi Pereira, Luisao, Garay, Emerson, Witsel, Javi Garcia, Bruno Cesar, Aimar, Rodrigo Moreno, Gaitan.

Subs: Eduardo, Amorim, Cardozo, Nolito, Nelson Oliveira, Matic, Miguel Vitor.

Referee: Cuneyt Cakir (Turkey)

Napoli: De Sanctis, Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Aronica, Maggio, Inler, Gargano, Dossena, Lavezzi, Hamsik, Cavani.

Subs: Rosati, Grava, Mascara, Santana, Dzemaili, Fernandez, Pandev.

Manchester City: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov, Silva, de Jong, Toure Yaya, Milner, Balotelli, Dzeko.

Subs: Pantilimon, Johnson, Savic, Aguero, Barry, Nasri, Clichy.

Referee: Damir Skomina (Slovenia)

Can't even blame me for that one. My moneys on United...

Oh no, it's on them too, don't worry. I've got that one covered. :shifty:

The worst part is when your potential other choices all seem to start coming in. Something to be said for over-analysing.

EDIT: 4-0 Madrid. Ozil now.

Edited by IAceI