Best Sitcoms

contador9

'Allo 'Allo, Teachers, Father Ted and Peep Show (at least the first 4 series of) are all among my real favourites.

Most British folk of my age (30) and a bit younger will tend to remember 'Allo 'Allo for the cheesy, repeated catchphrases - "You stupid woman", "I will say this only once" and "Good moaning". The reliance on these catchphrases stifled the show somewhat over the later series (along with a few cast members dying and being replaced).

However, series 1, 2 and 3 (also series 4 to a lesser extent) are REALLY funny. The plots were fantastically convoluted, the waitresses moonlighting as hookers was clearly presented, the gay connotations and jibes towards Lt Gruber are brilliant and Maria and Hans Geering were still in the show.

Oh, and Keeping Up Appearances.

Rene's been tipped off by the Resistance that a spy will come into his cafe with important information for him. He'll know who it is because he'll ask for a light for his cigarette.

This is the first episode so Rene and Gruber don't know eachother yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-YTxrAz_X8

Utter gold.

After watching GOLD an awful lot lately, I've discovered that a lot of classic sitcoms are shit. Well, I say a lot, I mean Open All Hours.

As for my favourite sitcoms, God, where to start? Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, Black Books, Scrubs, Spaced, Frasier ... I'll stop myself here before I start looking like a loser who watches too much TV.

After watching GOLD an awful lot lately, I've discovered that a lot of classic sitcoms are shit. Well, I say a lot, I mean Open All Hours.

As for my favourite sitcoms, God, where to start? Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, Black Books, Scrubs, Spaced, Frasier ... I'll stop myself here before I start looking like a loser who watches too much TV.

GTFO. Arkwright is brilliant.

Favourite older sitcoms would probably be things like Porridge, Dad's Army and Only Fools and Horses. Being a young whippersnapper, I haven't seen half the older stuff other people suggested though...

As for contemporary- Peep Show, Spaced, The IT Crowd, and I'm going to start watching the one Sean Lock did a while back. I include it because I've never been more certain I'll love something that I've never even seen before.

Dad's Army by quite a long way. There's just a kind of aura about it. For me at least.

I also have Yes, Minister boxset, and I like it very much. Never seen Yes, Prime Minister though.

Haven't really watched many sitcoms recently but they were all enjoyable enough - Peep Show is really good, Inbetweeners is good and IT Crowd is quite good. Tends to help that I don't watch much TV for the hell of it, unless it is a music or history documentary, meaning that I'll only latch on to a TV series if it receives enough acclaim to interest me. This is why I watched the Sopranos for the first time this year. :shifty:

I think you're "supposed" to like Yes, Minister more, but I've always preferred "Yes, Prime Minister" - it's a little more formulaic, and it rehashes a few Yes, Minister jokes a couple of times, but overall I think it's more consistently funny, and Sir Humphrey especially becomes one of the classic sitcom "villains" in the latter series.

Dad's Army is pretty classic too - just good, old-school sitcom writing.

Of more recent stuff, I love The Thick Of It.

Oh damn I forgot Thick Of It. Definitely my favourite new sitcom.

I've been meaning to watch Yes, Prime Minister for ages. I'm just so annoyed that a week after I bought the Yes, Minister boxset, the Minister & Prime Minister collection went on sale. Since then I've just never got round to it.

I fucking LOVED Mind Your Language. Funniest shit I honestly think I've seen. Also, Blackadder is brilliant, and I grew up watching Mr. Bean, so I still think that's awesome.

Er, I love Friends as well, the only comedy series I own that is more than like 7 seasons. Also, love Frasier, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Two Guys, A Girl And A Pizza Place. I have no idea why I love this show.

I must double mention the love for Mind Your Language. That shit is hilarious. As is 3rd Rock From The Sun, must mention that twice too!

Most of my favourite sitcoms are the older ones, such as Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and Horses and Blackadder. I also really enjoyed a few 90s sitcoms, particularly Red Dwarf and Men Behaving Badly. Since the turn of the century, there haven't really been as many comedies that have grabbed my attention, but I did quite like the early series of My Hero, thanks in no small part to Ardal O'Hanlon.