Euro 2012

Lineker

Italy aren't meant to be as much of a defensive team anymore. Their back four is probably the weakest area of the team compared to the midfield and the attack and they are supposedly more attacking then defensive.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the game is boring because I'm unsure if Italy are still as defensive as they are normally but playing against Spain who'll just look to keep the ball and probably have about 60/70% possession. I'm going with Spain 1-0 in that game.

They're solid defensively, Chiellini is one of the best defenders in the tournament. It'll all come down to how Prandelli decides to set up against Spain. It's expected to be a 3-5-2 with De Rossi slotting in at the back alongside Chiellini and Bonucci (Him and Chiellini were one of the best defensive partnerships throughout all of the top leagues in Europe for Juve). You then have the two wing backs in Balzaretti and Maggio (Spain's lack of width could play into their hands).

No doubt though their man strength right now is the midfield, with Pirlo, Marchiso and Montolivo all likely to start in there today. One of the best midfields around right now. It'll e very interesting to see who he starts up top, talk that it'll be Cassano and Balotelli so far, though I'd rather have seen Di Natale in there ahead of Balloteli.

Overall they look likely to set up similar to how Juve did throughout Serie A, which of course played a big part in them going unbeaten all season. This is a different stage all together though, so we'll see. I'd be surprised if Prandelli set up to go all out defence from start to finish, that's really not what he came in to do. Of course Spain are a massive attacking force though, so I also wouldn't expect him to set them up to go completely toe to toe. He'll likely look for a fine balance, hopefully he can pull it off today. I wouldn't judge them too much based on today though, as quite a few of the teams that go up against Spain will likely spend a good portion of the game defending against their possession game.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Italy aren't meant to be as much of a defensive team anymore. Their back four is probably the weakest area of the team compared to the midfield and the attack and they are supposedly more attacking then defensive.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the game is boring because I'm unsure if Italy are still as defensive as they are normally but playing against Spain who'll just look to keep the ball and probably have about 60/70% possession. I'm going with Spain 1-0 in that game.

They're solid defensively, Chiellini is one of the best defenders in the tournament. It'll all come down to how Prandelli decides to set up against Spain. It's expected to be a 3-5-2 with De Rossi slotting in at the back alongside Chiellini and Bonucci (Him and Chiellini were one of the best defensive partnerships throughout all of the top leagues in Europe for Juve). You then have the two wing backs in Balzaretti and Maggio (Spain's lack of width could play into their hands).

No doubt though their man strength right now is the midfield, with Pirlo, Marchiso and Montolivo all likely to start in there today. One of the best midfields around right now. It'll e very interesting to see who he starts up top, talk that it'll be Cassano and Balotelli so far, though I'd rather have seen Di Natale in there ahead of Balloteli.

Bolded part A: The Italian league really isn't that good anymore, so it doesn't prove as much 'being the best in Italy' as it used to.

Bolded part B: A good midfield, sure.....but not one of the best. Look at the other big international sides.

I'll probably be proved wrong, but Italy aren't that good, definitely aren't as good as JP (constantly) thinks they are, and I legitimately think they'll struggle to get out of the group.

• Like 1

Bolded part A: The Italian league really isn't that good anymore, so it doesn't prove as much 'being the best in Italy' as it used to.

Bolded part B: A good midfield, sure.....but not one of the best. Look at the other big international sides.

I'll probably be proved wrong, but Italy aren't that good, definitely aren't as good as JP (constantly) thinks they are, and I legitimately think they'll struggle to get out of the group.

Serie A just had a fantastic season (If you look outside of the recent scandal), though even if it wasn't that great of a league, that still doesn't mean they cant produce a great defensive partnership.

I'm also talking one of the top ones in the Euro's, which they do have. Pirlo is still up there with the best, Montolivo is great when on form and Marchiso is a fantastic midfielder with a whole lot in his locker.

Really Italy could go crashing out at the group stages, anything is possible and it's still yet to be seen whether or not Prandelli has stamped his mark properly on this squad and whether or not there's enough unity and partnerships within the side (attacking wise the main one). That said, the idea that they're still a defensive unit with no real flare or willingness to attack is wrong. They're capable of competing with the best on their day, but as you said, we'll see what happens.

Serie A just had a fantastic season (If you look outside of the recent scandal), though even if it wasn't that great of a league, that still doesn't mean they cant produce a great defensive partnership.

I'm also talking one of the top ones in the Euro's, which they do have. Pirlo is still up there with the best, Montolivo is great when on form and Marchiso is a fantastic midfielder with a whole lot in his locker.

Really Italy could go crashing out at the group stages, anything is possible and it's still yet to be seen whether or not Prandelli has stamped his mark properly on this squad and whether or not there's enough unity and partnerships within the side (attacking wise the main one). That said, the idea that they're still a defensive unit with no real flare or willingness to attack is wrong. They're capable of competing with the best on their day, but as you said, we'll see what happens.

1 Italian side got to the QFs of the Champions League, none to the QFs of the Europe League. Whether the season was good or not, doesn't necessarily suggest much about the quality of the sides overall.

And when the midfield is clearly behind midfields like Spain, Germany and arguably two or three others, it is hard to try and label them 'one of the best', considering there could be four or five sat ahead of them.

Spain: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Jordi Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta.

Subs: Valdes, Albiol, Javi Martinez, Juanfran, Pedro, Torres, Negredo, Mata, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, Jesus Navas, Reina.

Italy: Buffon, Chiellini, De Rossi, Bonucci, Giaccherni, Marchisio, Pirlo, Thiago Motta, Maggio, Cassano, Balotelli.

Subs: Sirigu, Ogbonna Obienza, Balzaretti, Abate, Di Natale, Barzagli, Borini, Montolivo, Giovinco, Diamanti, Nocerino, De Sanctis.

Referee: Viktor Kassai (Hungary)

• Like 1

Love it, to counteract teams parking the bus against them they're just not going to attack at all. Either its a tactical masterstroke or we're about to watch the worst game of football ever. Suppose it depends if Silva or Fabregas can be Messi.

I do fancy Italy though, not the strongest on paper but they're always decent.

Edit: Lineker can retire at this stage.

Edited by Colly