Euro 2012

Lineker

Questionable tactics? I can't remember how they played against Italy, just that I was sad for Gomes to go off :(. But I'd certainly not remove Löw from his position, how else would the commentators get in their obligatory cardigan jokes?

Playing Kroos as basically a third central midfielder alongside Khedira and Schweinsteiger to try and counteract Pirlo, and forcing Ozil to play more out right than central as he has been playing.

Basically he shifted them from the 4-2-3-1 they've played regularly to a less familiar 4-3-2-1 and took Ozil out of his more comfortable position just behind Gomez and it backfired. It made sense to try and put an extra midfielder in there to match them up a bit better against Italy and stop Pirlo, but it didn't work.

Edited by IAceI

Playing Kroos as basically a third central midfielder alongside Khedira and Schweinsteiger to try and counteract Pirlo, and forcing Ozil to play more out right than central as he has been playing.

Basically he shifted them from the 4-2-3-1 they've played regularly to a less familiar 4-2-3-1 and took Ozil out of his more comfortable position just behind Gomez and it backfired. It made sense to try and put an extra midfielder in there to match them up a bit better against Italy and stop Pirlo, but it didn't work.

Ahhh, I had to watch the match on-the-go and didn't see most of it, unfortunately. I think I'd have probably done the same, which is a sign that Low shouldn't have done it :shifty:. Hopefully they have learned from Spain - push higher up and swarm around players.

I think Italy also had brilliant tactics for their semifinal match, and lucked out in a way that Germany wound up playing right into their hands. I think Low scouted Italy in the England match and came out thinking if he had an extra midfielder out there he could easily stop Italy from scoring (as Spain showed in the final) while also having enough open passing to Gomez up top. It backfired because Prandelli anticipated Germany would come out trying to do this.

Granted it shows you how strong Spain is that despite holding them to a draw in their first match against virtually the same tactical formation, in the final Italy was unable to stop much of anything. Spain treated the group stages like a friendly match, they were just warming up and finding their footing.

I saw that earlier.

'they didn't concede a goal in the past three knockout stages.'

':/ they conceded loads and lost to Switzerland.'

'that was the group stage.'

':shifty:'

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
Italy striker Antonio Cassano has been fined by Uefa after comments made about homosexuals during Euro 2012.

The 29-year-old AC Milan forward said he hoped there were no homosexuals in the Italy squad for the tournament in Poland and Ukraine.

Although he later apologised for the comments, he has still been fined £11,679 (15,000 euros).

"Cassano has been fined for a discriminatory press statement," Uefa confirmed on its website.

"An appeal can be lodged against this decision within three days of the dispatch of the full written decision."

Cassano was asked during a news conference whether he thought there were any homosexuals in Cesare Prandelli's 23-man squad.

He responded: "The coach warned me that you would ask me this question. If I say what I think... I hope there are none."

But he subsequently released a statement insisting he had been misinterpreted.

"I sincerely regret that my statements have sparked controversy and protest from gay rights groups," Cassano said.

"Homophobia is a sentiment that is not mine. I did not want to offend anyone and I can not question the sexual freedom of other people.

"I only said that it is a problem that does not concern me and it is not for me to pass judgement on the choices of others, who are all respected."

The 30-year-old scored one goal in six games during Euro 2012, helping Italy to the final, where they lost to Spain.