Euro 2012

Lineker

I just read that Barcelona didn't put up big screens for this match because they were afraid of people waving Spanish flags, well there's lots of them in the street now so bit of an own goal that.

Well Euro twenty twelve was nice, wasn't it?

Italy did ever so well in getting to the final, WE had a likeable team were pretty engaging to watch. They were desperately unlucky with injuries in the final. Despite the 4-0 scoreline, it could have easily been so different.

But, eh, I like Pirlo and de Rossi best, but they've already got a World Cup so I'm not that upset. :shifty:

I've always quite liked Spain, but it's just boring for us ( :shifty: ) to win yet again.

Opened the debate about Messi being the best player ever after the Champions League, is there an argument for the Spanish team of the past four years being the best international team of all time?

Spain only needs to win 2014, I think. Brazil from the 50's and 60's was still better, reminding that it was this brazilian team that inspired Spain's actual style of play.

Whilst they inspired Spain, no team has dominated like this current team.

Opened the debate about Messi being the best player ever after the Champions League, is there an argument for the Spanish team of the past four years being the best international team of all time?

Spain only needs to win 2014, I think. Brazil from the 50's and 60's was still better, reminding that it was this brazilian team that inspired Spain's actual style of play.

Whilst they inspired Spain, no team has dominated like this current team.

Thinking about it now, you're right. They're already the best of all time. If Spain wins 2014, they become gods of football.

But never count Brazil out. pervert.gif

Edited by RafaelFms

Nice, too, that football was the main talking point come the end of the tournament. And not a panorama documentary. A really enjoyable tournament and one of the best I can remember, a great advert for leaving it as 16 teams only but no - 2016 we'll have 24 teams and diluted talent probably. Such a shame as this format is near enough perfect in my opinion. :(

The thing about Brazil and Argentina is that they just don't play as a team like Spain do, the key to their success is that they are a team, any egos are put aside for the team and look what happens!

Nice, too, that football was the main talking point come the end of the tournament. And not a panorama documentary. A really enjoyable tournament and one of the best I can remember, a great advert for leaving it as 16 teams only but no - 2016 we'll have 24 teams and diluted talent probably. Such a shame as this format is near enough perfect in my opinion. :(

Pretty much agree with you here. I like the current format as it is, pits some of the bigger countries against each other right from the get go while there is always one or two teams that surprise people such as Greece somehow getting through the group stage, Italy managing to get to the final when most thought they wouldn't. Big teams getting knocked out early such as Holland and Russia.

Hopefully the new format will work out and not dilute the tournament, while allowing countries like Belgium for example to showcase their players on an international tournament stage.

Football364:

I confess I didn't go for this option, but BBC viewers were able to watch the game with alternative commentaries from some rather over-excitable CeeBeebies presenters. At one point, they apparently described their own service as "This is the commentary if you think Lawro is too much like Eeyore." Lovely stuff.

:D

Argentina's team in two years could be a real match for Spain, as could Germany and Brazil. Those are the four teams I would LOVE to see in the World Cup Final in any assortment, simply because they're the best around, but I'm not sure if they could beat Spain the way they played tonight. Amazing movement and awareness for where everyone is, great technique and pace throughout the team. They have everything they need and I could honestly see this domination lasting for years to come. They certainly aren't going anywhere. Be interesting what the tournaments XI will be since you could have Fabregas, Silva, Iniesta and Xavi in your midfield with Torres and Gomes fighting over the striker position - Torres would win it for me, but Gomes' goals per minute (or 15 seconds) stat was amazing before the match against Italy.

A very enjoyable tournament marked by Italy's success thanks to Pirlo, Balotelli and Buffon, the only dull game I endured was Italy/England, so that's quite an achievement.