Euro 2012

Lineker

• Admin

With the draw for the finals is just over a month away, and the play-offs featuring Ireland just around the corner, I figured that now is a good a time as any to make a thread.

Shane Long has been named in a provisional 26-man Republic of Ireland squad for the Euro 2012 play-off against Estonia on 11 and 15 November.

West Brom striker Long was initially ruled out for six weeks after sustaining a knee injury in last weekend's game against Aston Villa.

But Giovanni Trapattoni has included him for the two play-off games, first in Tallinn, then in Dublin.

Wigan's James McCarthy and Jon Walters of Stoke City are also included.

"There is no room for complacency as we prepare for our two games next month," said Trapattoni.

"We will remember that Estonia have as much right to be in the play-off as ourselves.

"They have had some very good results in their group, beating Serbia and Slovenia. They also caused Italy a lot of problems.

"These games will be a huge challenge for us and we must maintain the correct mentality from start to finish."

Republic of Ireland: Given (Aston Villa), Westwood (Sunderland), Forde; O'Shea (Sunderland), Kelly (Fulham), Ward (Wolves), Dunne (Villa), St Ledger (Leicester), O'Dea (Leeds), McShane (Hull); Whelan (Stoke), McCarthy (Wigan), Coleman (Everton), Andrews (Ipswich), Fahey (Birmingham), Gibson (Man Utd), Keogh (Leeds), Duff (Fulham), McGeady (Spartak Moscow), Hunt (Wolves), Lawrence (Portsmouth); Keane (LA Galaxy), Doyle (Wolves), Long (West Brom), Cox (West Brom), Walters (Stoke).

Come on Ireland!

As for us, looks like we'll be in Pot 2 (but nothing is confirmed yet?) for the draw which means the possibility of getting Spain or Holland/Germany in our group. By the looks of it though there ain't gonna be any easy games in this competition, we'll do really well to get out of any possible drawn group. I'd be quite happy with a quarter final for us this time round I think though, and not to go out on penalties would be nice too.

It's a very likely possibility that Long doesn't play and the only fit strikers we'll have available for the first leg are Cox and Walters. Obviously I don't know what state Long is in but if it's as bad as reported then he shouldn't have been named and Super Leon Best should get his rightful call-up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
Leon Best will miss the first leg of the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 qualifier against Estonia as he awaits the birth of his first child.

The Newcastle striker was already a doubt for Friday's game after suffering groin and toe injuries during Saturday's 2-1 win over Everton.

However Best's wife is due to give birth imminently and he will join the squad on Saturday.

West Brom striker Shane Long has already withdrawn from the squad.

Long has failed to overcome a knee injury and Wolves striker Kevin Doyle will miss the first leg through suspension.

Leon Best has scored three goals and made three assists in the Premier League this season

Portsmouth midfielder Liam Lawrence reported on Sunday to have his ankle ligament injury assessed, but was swiftly sent back to his club.

Best had been left out of the Republic squad by Trapattoni for recent matches despite being in superb form for Newcastle this season.

Sunderland's John O'Shea is out of the first leg in Tallinn on 11 November but may still be involved in the second leg in Dublin next week.

"We will wait for John O'Shea. He is not fit for the first game, but he will come with us on Saturday," confirmed Trapattoni on Monday.

Robbie Keane, previously a doubt with a leg injury, is available after playing and scoring for LA Galaxy at the weekend.

Darron Gibson is also a fitness doubt for the play-off games as he recuperates from a foot injury.

There's not much point in him coming back for the 2nd leg really considering both Doyle and Keane will be available with Trap's BFF Simon Cox and Jon Walters on the bench, not a hope of getting a game, even though he should be first choice after Doyle and Keane.

I've probably quoted this half a dozen times now, but to paraphrase Best 'he picked me when I was crap at Coventry, but now won't pick me when I'm scoring in the top half of the Premier League'. Trapps claimed its because he's lazy, I can only assume he's been sending scouts to watch George Bests grave rather than Leon Best play.

Just fuck em and take paternity leave Leon, backup for shite...

Yeah, I'm sure the fact he won't start is why he's going to attend the birth of his child!

I get that Leon Best is playing well for Newcastle, but that doesn't mean he instantly becomes an international starter (football doesn't work that way). Generally in spite of the griping about who he does and doesn't pick Trapattoni has done an excellent job with a bunch of players who aren't really all that fantastic.

Just fuck em and take paternity leave Leon, backup for shite...

Yeah, I'm sure the fact he won't start is why he's going to attend the birth of his child!

I get that Leon Best is playing well for Newcastle, but that doesn't mean he instantly becomes an international starter (football doesn't work that way). Generally in spite of the griping about who he does and doesn't pick Trapattoni has done an excellent job with a bunch of players who aren't really all that fantastic.

See my above comment. Of course I don't expect him to start, and the comment you've quoted is a tongue in cheek one because frankly I'd rather him have two weeks off, but the fact remains he was picking him in the Championship but not on form in the Prem, and his 'lazy' comments are ludicrous.

We've only conceeded 6 goals in 5 competitive home games at the Aviva so even the most pessimistic of Irish fans know we're already there. Our negative style suits this sort of situation to a tee. looking forward to the draw now too.

For England fans too, I reckon we'd be the last 4 seed you'd want in your group. The team would be so up for that game it'd be overwhelming. I want Poland or Ukraine as the 1 seed anyway, that's the main thing.