General Gaming Thread

TKz

Man, how can you make a wrestling game and put Masato Tanaka in it, but not put the sliding D in the game? Baffling.

But in general Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is great. Just wish they had some sort of single player career or something. The GBA version's Audience Mode was so fun, I'm surprised they didn't keep it around.

I finally got The Elder Scrolls: Arena working properly last night. I've really always wanted to play this game, especially after I read about how fucking gargantuan it actually is. It would take you ten days, of real life time or something of that ilk, to travel by foot from town to town in the actual game. And apparently, not even Bethesda themselves can give a rough guess about how big Tamriel in Arena is (whereas Daggerfall was about 62 square miles, Morrowind about 6 sqaure miles and Oblivion and Skyrim about 16 square miles a piece). Plus, the game, from the short time I played it last night, seems a hell of a lot more difficult than future titles. I got killed by a rat several times in the starting dungeon. A rat!

So yeah, the hate I had for Bethesda has really turned much more to love after I've begun playing Skyrim and forced myself to forget that they did Fallout 3.

Picked up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD last night. Well, my brother did - anyway, total blast from the past. Loving it - the soundtrack, the tracks, everything. Missed skating to Bad Religion's "You", but I do wish "Police Truck" was on the soundtrack..

Picked up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD last night. Well, my brother did - anyway, total blast from the past. Loving it - the soundtrack, the tracks, everything. Missed skating to Bad Religion's "You", but I do wish "Police Truck" was on the soundtrack..

It's wonderful, isn't it? Should be some DLC levels coming soon (LA, Airport, Canada), along with the ability to revert (although this will be restricted to levels from games that had revert).

• 2 weeks later...

For the next 90 minutes (until 7p EST), the PS3 & 360 versions of the Devil May Cry HD Collection are $10 new at Amazon. DMC1, DMC2, & DMC3 all in HD for $10 is a solid buy if you want a game where you just shoot/slash the hell out of everything.

Edit: And the PC version of The Darkness is $5, though I don't know what the time limit on that one is.

• 2 weeks later...

I say this with slight trepidation, but THQ may finally realize they have something good and want to capitalize accordingly. Company of Heroes 2 is getting serious praise from those who have tried it out (Ben Kuchera has championed it a few times already, as an example). Meanwhile, Stick of Truth has potential to be South Park's answer to Paper Mario/Super Mario RPG: a critically-acclaimed RPG that spans a broader audience than usual.

THQ still has ample opportunity to fudge this up, but if pushing 'em back makes them better, I am all for it.

Edit: Just as I post this, Brian Crecente of Polygon tweets that THQ refused to take any questions at the end of the conference call. Delay your biggest titles, then refuse to answer anything about anything. Dubious at best, smoke signal at worst.

I imagine there'll be a license firesale at some point. They've already sold UFC to EA, and apparently the Ubisoft president has been sniffing around the past week.

As cutthroat as it sounds, other companies will just wait for THQ to go under before swooping in and buying licenses for a mere fraction of what they would normally.