General Gaming Thread

TKz

59 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Yeah, I'm not... excited for this one, as such. A lot of the appeal of Ubisoft's things are the on-stage goofiness and that's not happening this time. Hoping for a release date on Watch Dogs Legion, confirmation that BGE2 and Skull and Bones aren't dead, and maybe a better idea of what that Greek mythology game announced last year actually is.

Well, uh, I got one of those!

I missed the Far Cry 6 leak until I saw the photo of Giancarlo and the kid like an hour ago. But also I've never played a Far Cry game so while "oh shit, Giancarlo Esposito's the main villain in a game" would have been cool that whole thing felt a lot like Ubisoft once again doing something very political that they've not entirely thought through.

5 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The child in Far Cry 6 is apparently the boy from Coco. I haven't seen that film, but I guess that's fairly significant.

oh, nice, that was a pretty good voiceover performance. Should translate to this well, though tonally this will be dramatically different.

I feel like from what I've seen with Far Cry games the deal is always that they introduce the villains in advance and don't really bother setting up who the protagonist is, right?

EDIT: Ah, the protagonist information is here:

EcwFS7RVcAAc6d5?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

That conference was, uh, not great.

Watch Dogs looks like it's leaning into Saints Row territory, and I can't decide if that's good or bad.

I don't care about Brawlhalla, either of the Battle Royale games their doing or any of the other guff they announced in the middle.

New Assassin's Creed looks a fair bit like the Witcher, and I'm sure it's gonna be great but also I'm still on Assassin's Creed III so I doubt I'll play this for a long while.

Far Cry 6 had an excellent reveal, dampened massively by the fact it leaked a couple days ago. It's a damn shame this was their 'and one more thing' because if it hadn't of leaked, it would have been great.

Mostly I'm just disappointed we didn't get a totally bonkers Zoom-based Let's Dance trailer.

I'd say the Ubi conference was better than the Microsoft conference from May and the EA conference, but not as good as Sony or, depending on how you feel about their presentation style/humor, as entertaining as Devolver's thing from yesterday. Firmly mid-tier.

To be fair, I didn't catch the Microsoft or EA ones, just the Sony and Ubisoft. I had higher hopes for Ubi as I'm generally a fan of their games and they always kinda get a little weird, this was just not as interesting as it could've been. I do love Youssef Maguid though, one of my favourite personalities in the gaming space right now, so it was nice to see him get the hosting gig.

There seems to be less urgency about these conferences without E3. Ubisoft's doing another one later in the year and Microsoft is doing a bigger one later this month. Companies aren't booking a slot of stage and so don't have to add extra announcements for games that might come out at some point within the next year. It makes things less exciting, but I quite like the fact that they're focusing on games coming out in the near-ish future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

The child in Far Cry 6 is apparently the boy from Coco. I haven't seen that film, but I guess that's fairly significant.

I had to reread this an embarassingly several times before realising you weren't saying Far Cry 6 will be one hell of an amazing cross over.

He will be sending a lot of people to meet their ancestors, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ollie said:

New Assassin's Creed looks a fair bit like the Witcher, and I'm sure it's gonna be great but also I'm still on Assassin's Creed III so I doubt I'll play this for a long while.

Origins and Odyssey changed the formula up BIG time and massively for the better to something more Witcher-esque. I don't think I could go back to the old ones at this point, honestly.

2 hours ago, apsham said:

Origins and Odyssey changed the formula up BIG time and massively for the better to something more Witcher-esque. I don't think I could go back to the old ones at this point, honestly.

I tried. I actually had only beaten the first one when I bought Origins and Odyssey so I decided I would go back and try to work my way through them. I cannot play the old ones anymore. I just enjoy the new style too much.

I am playing Virtue's Last Reward because I really like the concept... but man, I suck at puzzle games. I did the first two rooms (lounge and rec room) and got stuck at a point in each (in the lounge, that it was from the bartenders POV and in the rec room, putting the tokens back into the ride... and solving the dart board again for the file). I feel bad having to get hints >_>

Someone mind telling me why people are mad at Gamer Girl? It looks like a neat little FMV horror game like Simulacra.

Well it looks like a bunch of dudes sat around a decided to make money off very real things that female streamers have to deal with in general, while claiming that it’s meant to be empowering - which from the tone of the trailer really sounds like a load of BS.

It’s probably the worst time to monetize what looks like literal physical attacks on a woman and for sure consistent sexual harassment.

• Like 1