General Gaming Thread

TKz

They crashed and burned pretty hard on the last Prince of Persia, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I mean if we're bringing back old Ubisoft games, the only real answer is a Call of Juraez: Gunslinger sequel.

They crashed and burned pretty hard on the last Prince of Persia, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I mean if we're bringing back old Ubisoft games, the only real answer is a Call of Juraez: Gunslinger sequel.

The cel-shaded one? I loved that, I don't get why people didn't.

The last one was The Forgotten Sands, which was released two years after the cel-shaded game, simply entitled Prince of Persia. The Forgotten Sands got pretty average reviews, but more importantly, it sold very poorly, and for a Ubisoft title, that spells bad news. As tired and homogenised as the Assassin's Creed games are, they still sell millions of copies each year, and judging by how well Watch Dogs sold, you could put a lot of money on a sequel being announced relatively soon. With that in mind, it's looking very much as though Ubisoft simply don't have much regard for Prince of Persia any more.

I never had a PS1, but there was a fighting game with weapons that was realistic that I always wanted and actually had me saving for the console. It's basically one hit deaths. Having just googled it looks like it was Bushido Blade. You should buy and play that to make 13 year old me jealous.

In everyone's opinion what are the best Play Station 1 games ever and the most must play games for that console?

Depends. There's stuff that was classic at the time but hasn't held up at all, whether it be because of graphics, control schemes or odd 90's game design (poor checkpoints, lots of back tracking etc.) I'd say there's two sides; the "classics" and the games that still hold up.

The Tomb Raider games haven't held up at all (just try to get Lara to fucking turn around) but they're worth seeing as a cultural touchstone. 2 or 3 are probably the best ones. If you can handle the controls, they're still games that allow you to explore and solve puzzles.

Resident Evils 1-3 suffer from tank controls but that's more manageable. Still good games though, even if you have to wire your brain in weird ways to solve the puzzles.

Final Fantasy 7/8/9. Each have their supporters and detractors but I'd say they're all good RPGs. FF7, I'm sure you know about but it actually has more to it than RPGing through use of little mini-games to break things up. FF8 can be broken over your knee in hilarious ways and FF9 has a good cast of characters and an interesting world.

For racers, you've got Gran Turismo 2, which people consider the benchmark. Tons of cars, tons of tracks, hugely involving career mode for the time. They've ruined it slightly by doing the same thing for 15 years but GT2 at the time, man. I spent weeks on that A License.

Metal Gear Solid still holds up and it's impressive to see just how much crazy story shit that they packed into that game.

Crash Bandicoot 1-3 still look good and play really well if you want some platforming. The first is the most difficult with the other two being slightly easier but having more level variation. The other big platformer at the time was Spyro the Dragon, which is more Mario 64 than Super Mario World.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is one of the most perfect games ever but I have no idea about price. It's probably expensive so I'd buy the XBLA version, if you can. Unless you're emulating, then knock yourself out.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is still a great game if you want some action-adventuring. Environments can be a little sparse now but the actual design of the game is really strong.

The PSX was a popular console for a reason though, with a shit load of good games and I love it very dearly. A good website to have handy if you don't know where to start with consoles is RacketBoy.com. Here's two good links for PSX stuff:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/games-that-defined-the-history-of-the-playstation-ps1

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps1/the-best-ps1-games-under-10

Also, some of my lesser known, personal favourites are Future Cop L.A.P.D., Alundra, Tenchu, Driver 2, Crash Team Racing, FIFA 98, Fear Effect and Bishi Bashi Special.

Resident Evils 1-3 suffer from tank controls but that's more manageable. Still good games though, even if you have to wire your brain in weird ways to solve the puzzles.

You say "suffer" I say, "adds to the survival horror experience". They are brilliantly awful.

Hated. HATED RE 1. RE 2 was better, RE 3 is where it got good.

Separate: Brandom Farmahini could totally slot into Achievement Hunter's Team Lads with Michael & Gavin.

Even more separate: The new Madden '16 cover is fucking top.

Brandon might be fun. I laughed that he had to constantly ask what the button was for *blank*. And the answer was always E.

You say "suffer" I say, "adds to the survival horror experience". They are brilliantly awful.

Touche. I was going to put Silent Hill in the same category but that's less "Oh, look a zombie" and more "Oh fucking christ, what the fucking hell was that, a DEMON?" so I was much too afraid to actually play it. I'd just watch my dad play through it.

• Like 1

So I'm going to a gaming themed pub quiz in a bit, anyone got any suggestions for team names? Preferably something that's a bit funny and in reference to something gaming relating. But also not so obscure that nobody gets it.

So I'm going to a gaming themed pub quiz in a bit, anyone got any suggestions for team names? Preferably something that's a bit funny and in reference to something gaming relating. But also not so obscure that nobody gets it.

I once heard of someone calling their team 'Germany' and getting booed for it. It's got nothing to do with games but it made me laugh.

Replaying old games from 18 years ago is fun. Rediscovering levels/missions that I hated 18 years ago is less fun.

If you're going to make me fly a fucking A-Wing and expect me to take out fucking Modifield Corvettes on my lonesome, how about giving me something a little more heavy-duty than fucking concussion missiles to do it with? It's like swatting a bull with a paper fan. <_<