Whitney Houston: 1963-2012

TheSqauredCircleMessiah

Not trying to take anything away from the thread, sentiments, and the horrible sadness that goes with this, but she was a coke addict wasn't she? Or was it medication? I can't quite remember, but cocaine sticks out in my mind.

It was coke, which had a hand in getting her to this point, but damn...

Such a sad loss. It's probably sucks that there will so much focus on her substance abuse (probably partly because she is a woman). But Whitney Houston was incredibly talented and it really does suck that she is gone.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Was never a huge fan of hers, but I can't deny she was talented and had a beautiful voice.

• Like 1

Wow, didn't expect to wake up to see this. To put it simply, an incredible voice. Despite all of the problems she's had over the years, it still shocks the hell out of you when you hear something like this, madness.

Even crazier considering the rumours that she was possibly taking a judging role on the US X Factor.

So it's coming out that the cause may be from drowning in the tub from falling asleep/unconscious which may have been due to Xanax (which she used to calm down before performances, which she was scheduled to do at the party at the hotel she died at yesterday) and alcohol.

Damn.

In the 80s and 90s she reigned supreme. Imahine having Dionne Warwick, Cissy Houston and Aretha Franklin as some of your relatives! And without a shadow of a doubt she was pure royalty, especially in those early days. And even today her voice on those first few albums and The Bodyguard soundtrack. And she was a pioneer, icon, soul and pop diva all rolled into one. We shall not see the likes of her again. Whitney Houston, legend. RIP

Yesterday she was a drug-addled laughing stock with a joke marriage, responsible for the most annoying number one record in living memory. Today she's a legend and an icon, probably the best singer who ever lived and we're seeing a Diana-style outpouring of grief on Twitter and Facebook.

I know this happens a lot, but maybe applying it to Whitney Houston is taking it a bit far?

Yes, it's dreadful that she died, and yes, she was undeniably a very good singer, (although not of a sort I normally go for) but the pap she put her name to was really quite dreadful. I don't like that she seems to be the origin of those ridiculous R&B vocal gymnastics that Mariah Carey and that lot go for. How someone so talented could have zero artistic judgment is a real shame. And it is a tragic end.

So yeah, I'm not a fan, and I'm not going to pretend her music was good just because she is dead. However, those people going "lol, junkie" are far, far, worse. I don't like that at all.

I did not enjoy a seven hour shift with nothing but her Greatest Hits on the CD player. I tried my best to shift all the copies so we could take it off, but, typically, we sold all but one.

Oh and I do like My Love Is Your Love. it's a bit gritty, relatively speaking.

• Like 8

Yesterday she was a drug-addled laughing stock with a joke marriage, responsible for the most annoying number one record in living memory. Today she's a legend and an icon, probably the best singer who ever lived and we're seeing a Diana-style outpouring of grief on Twitter and Facebook.

From wikipediaa:

"In 2009, the Guinness World Records cited her as the most-awarded female act of all time. Her awards include two Emmy Awards, six Grammy Awards, 30 Billboard Music Awards, and 22 American Music Awards, among a total of 415 career awards as of 2010. Houston was also one of the world's best-selling music artists, having sold over 170 million albums, singles and videos worldwide."