What instrument(s) can you play?

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I learned recorder for two years when I was 9/10/11. Go me.

The last few years I've been learning and playing bass. My dream is to get that to a decent standard and use those skills and take an opportunity to learn double bass so I can look classy.

I play bass very, very badly. I have no real sense of rhythm or timing, and I insist on playing a two-stringed bass....so I'm not all that successful.

I've also dabbled at guitar (I own a three-string cigar box guitar that I really need to get round to learning to play well), keyboards/synths, various percussion instruments and theremin, with varying degrees of absolute failure.

Under a year experience: Trumpet, Trombone, Banjo, Piano

One to two years: Violin, Cello

Two to three years: Guitar, Ukulele, Vocals

Three to five years: Bass

I'm also a classically-trained percussionist with 17 years experience. (Don't worry, 'classically-trained' is a fancy way of saying I understand all the Italian on my sheet music.)

When I was about 8, I tried to learn the Clarinet. I was woeful, I couldn't even make it produce a pleasant sound. That disappointment pretty much killed off my enthusiasm for playing instruments, but a friend of mine who is a genuinely talented acoustic guitarist was able to teach me to play Hot Cross Buns on a piano.

• Like 1

Guest mr. potato head

Drums well enough to not embarrass myself were I part of a crappy bar band. Bit better at what Midget called "classical" percussion (including drums), which I played all through high school, although xylophone and related instruments give me trouble because I never had piano training. Spent about nine months recently in a legitimate concert band (in a town where any live music at all is a novelty, there were a few good musicians in the band but overall we weren't any better than any of my high school concert bands).

I can also play a very, very limited amount of trumpet, pretty much just a couple scales and the Chariots of Fire song.

I played trumpet for a few years in school, haven't played in years though. Started out really abyssmal at it, stayed abyssmal at it for a bit, and then actually got to the point where I was at least somewhat of an average quality player but I wound up selling my trumpet to pay for books for college.