Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

The fabulous House of ua Briain now controls the Kingdoms of Ireland, Scotland, Wales (King Eoghan I of Scotland), England (King Jordan I), Sicily (that Caliph invasion got derailed by a very well timed Crusade by the Pope for the rest of Sicily, so I was able to hold my own lands and then gain the rest of the Kingdom) (King Eoghan I of Sicily) and Hungary (Queen Dub Dil I)

Now I just have to manufacture a marriage between my character or an heir and the heir to the English throne and I can become an Emperor but at the minute I have rebellious Scottish Lords to deal with.

Also, my Scottish vassals keep declaring war on each other despite their being maximum crown authority in Scotland, I thought the whole point of the concept was to stop them doing so?

And if you haven't, seriously, why the hell not.

Thanks to DLing the demo from the public library, I certainly want the full version of the game. Sadly, they chose to saddle it with Steam as DRM and my crappy 56k internet can't even think of DLing the required patches.

I really, really need to suck it up and get faster speed...

Slowly getting the hang of this game. I am terrible at war, I never really know who is attacking who. War of Flemish Independence broke out and I got destroyed by Normandy as they sieged me before I really knew what was going on. Is there no "This is who is at war with who" tab?

Slowly getting the hang of this game. I am terrible at war, I never really know who is attacking who. War of Flemish Independence broke out and I got destroyed by Normandy as they sieged me before I really knew what was going on. Is there no "This is who is at war with who" tab?

If you click on the little circle with a face that appears while you're at war, it'll bring up a screen telling you who's at war with who. Also if you highlight the symbol on the diplomacy screen of one of the participants. Not to mention that hostile troops should have a red background on the bit that tells you how many soldiers they have and allied ones have a blue background (or green, can't remember <_<)

TEOL! Teach me about marrying into claims (like you were attempting to do in your diary)....and any other kinda claim I can get.

Also, is there really a purpose to declaring war on someone who is excommunicated?

TEOL! Teach me about marrying into claims (like you were attempting to do in your diary)....and any other kinda claim I can get.

Also, is there really a purpose to declaring war on someone who is excommunicated?

Alright fine.

So there are a few strategies, but here is the simplest I can think of (and the others are just variations on the same theme): find someone who has a claim to a title you want, marry them, then attack the holder of that title and press your new wife's claim, she'll gain that title, and your heirs should inherit them both (obviously you need to have children with them). For titles that are lower than yours, you can invite people to your court and make them a vassal, then press their claim (or don't bother making them a vassal if you're de jure liege). And some claims will only be weak, but you can always start a war with some well timed assassinations.

As for attacking the excommunicated, I can't remember it off the top of my head but just look at the pop up on the war declaration screen thing: it should tell you what gains you'll get for victory. IIRC it's mainly prestige, might be some money and piety in it too.

Keep reading my diary for more tips <_<

Alright fine.

So there are a few strategies, but here is the simplest I can think of (and the others are just variations on the same theme): find someone who has a claim to a title you want, marry them, then attack the holder of that title and press your new wife's claim, she'll gain that title, and your heirs should inherit them both (obviously you need to have children with them). For titles that are lower than yours, you can invite people to your court and make them a vassal, then press their claim (or don't bother making them a vassal if you're de jure liege). And some claims will only be weak, but you can always start a war with some well timed assassinations.

As for attacking the excommunicated, I can't remember it off the top of my head but just look at the pop up on the war declaration screen thing: it should tell you what gains you'll get for victory. IIRC it's mainly prestige, might be some money and piety in it too.

Keep reading my diary for more tips <_<

Oooo....I like that tip! I might have to use that one.

It's a good reason to make sure you keep lots of spare counties and baronies around, so you can hand them out to people to make them your vassals before pressing their claims. The downside is that you have to spend money to improve said counties and baronies (well you don't have to, but they'll provide less money and troops and fall faster in sieges if you don't) whereas vassalised counties and baronies are improved using the money of the title holder. Incidentally, you can create new baronies by building castles, but it's an expensive and time consuming process.

It's a good reason to make sure you keep lots of spare counties and baronies around, so you can hand them out to people to make them your vassals before pressing their claims. The downside is that you have to spend money to improve said counties and baronies (well you don't have to, but they'll provide less money and troops and fall faster in sieges if you don't) whereas vassalised counties and baronies are improved using the money of the title holder. Incidentally, you can create new baronies by building castles, but it's an expensive and time consuming process.

To improve the counties and stuff...you just build the city/castle/temple, right?

To improve the counties and stuff...you just build the city/castle/temple, right?

No, you can improve the individual holdings (just the castles really, because cities and temples have mayors and bishops to improve them). Click on the castle picture on a county and it'll bring up all the individual improvements you can build in that castle, like walls, barracks, villages, stuff like that.

find someone who has a claim to a title you want, marry them, then attack the holder of that title and press your new wife's claim, she'll gain that title, and your heirs should inherit them both (obviously you need to have children with them)

I did this. Then I succeeded in a plot to kill my wife after she got the title, and my son got it as my vassal. (H)

No, you can improve the individual holdings (just the castles really, because cities and temples have mayors and bishops to improve them). Click on the castle picture on a county and it'll bring up all the individual improvements you can build in that castle, like walls, barracks, villages, stuff like that.

What is the bonus that this gives?

What is the bonus that this gives?

Depends on the improvement. Some increase the number of troops that county provides, some increase tax revenue, some make it harder to siege... if you don't do it, after a century or so you'll likely notice that other counties take ages to siege and have garrisons in excess of a thousand men while your own have a measly few hundred. That's because they've been improving their castles while you haven't.

This is all stuff that's just come from me having put so many hours into the game, by the way. After the first few times your demesne counties fall like fucking dominoes you start to wonder why <_<

It took me a while to figure out improvements as well. I tend to build up castle villages/towns/etc. early on to get the tax revenue. Right now I'm in a position where I can hire some of the cheaper mercenary bands and barely lose any money paying them.

It took me a while to figure out improvements as well. I tend to build up castle villages/towns/etc. early on to get the tax revenue. Right now I'm in a position where I can hire some of the cheaper mercenary bands and barely lose any money paying them.

I'd like to do it like that because then the extra money makes paying for the other improvements easier. What tends to happen instead though is I play too aggressively and end up so certain I'm about to be attacked that I end up bulking up my defences against the threat of invasion :shifty: