Serie B player collapses on pitch, dies.

Katsuya

RIP Piermario Morosini, who played for Livorno in Serie B. Seems to be almost an identical thing to what happened to Fabrice Muamba but he wasn't able to be saved. Apparently he tried to get back off the ground and kept collapsing back to the floor.

Presuming this is a heart-related thing, FIFA have surely got to start thinking about bringing in more testing now to try and stop these things from happening.

• Admin

AP are reporting it. I posted it in the Muamba thread just before Kats made this thread:

BC-SOC--Livorno-Morosini, 1st Ld-Writethru,0216

Morosini rushed to hospital after collapsing

PESCARA, Italy (AP) - Livorno midfielder Piermario Morosini was rushed to a hospital Saturday after collapsing during his team's Serie B match at Pescara.

Morosini fell to the ground in the 31st minute of the match and received urgent medical attention on the pitch. A defibrillator was also used on the 25-year-old player.

Morosini - on loan from Udinese - was then rushed to Pescara's Santo Spirito hospital. Italian news agency ANSA reports Morosini suffered a heart attack in the ambulance.

The player was conscious when he was stretchered off the pitch but was reportedly put into a medically induced coma at the hospital.

"He looked at me in the eyes when he was taken into the ambulance," Pescara's general manager, Danilo Iannascoli, told Sky Italia. "We are living through a drama."

Italian media reports said a car belonging to traffic police blocked the ambulance's way into the stadium and a window had to be broken so the car could be moved.

"I don't know if the ambulance was late, but I know that the entrance onto the pitch was blocked by a vehicle," Iannascoli said. "Morosini collapsed, he tried to get back up but then collapsed again."

The match was called off, with the other players leaving the field in tears.

He didn't survive...

So exercise is bad for your health.

Is it a case of these things happen in leagues every now and then but now people are paying more attention because it happened in a big game?

Yes, because now is a totally appropriate time for a flip remark <_<

Awful news, like said earlier, surely there needs to be more testing

midfielder Piermario Morosini has died after suffering cardiac arrest during his team's Serie B match at Pescara on Saturday. Morosini's death was confirmed by Dr Edoardo De Blasio, a cardiologist at Pescara's Santo Spirito hospital, who said: "unfortunately he was already dead when he arrived at hospital. He didn't regain consciousness."

All Italian football league matches this weekend have now been suspended as a mark of respect.

Morosini, 25, was given urgent medical attention on the pitch after collapsing after 31 minutes of the match. A defibrillator was also used before Morosini was rushed to Pescara's Santo Spirito hospital.

The Associated Press reported that the player was conscious when he was stretchered off the pitch but was put into a medically induced coma at the hospital. Italian news agency Ansa reported that Morosini suffered a heart attack in the ambulance.

"He looked at me in the eyes when he was taken into the ambulance," Pescara's general manager, Danilo Iannascoli, told Sky Italia.

Italian media reports said a car belonging to traffic police blocked the ambulance's way into the stadium and a window had to be broken so the car could be moved.

"I don't know if the ambulance was late, but I know that the entrance onto the pitch was blocked by a vehicle," Iannascoli said. "Morosini collapsed, he tried to get back up but then collapsed again."

The match was called off, with many of the other players leaving the field in tears.

Such sad news, only a year older than me :(

Two years younger them me. You just wonder what the hell can cause a heart attack in someone so young, and so fit.

A bad heart has nothing to do with age and/or fitness. Yeah, living a healthy life can help - but if you have a weak/bad heart it doesn't matter if you're the fittest man on earth.

Horrible news.

Two years younger them me. You just wonder what the hell can cause a heart attack in someone so young, and so fit.

A bad heart has nothing to do with age and/or fitness. Yeah, living a healthy life can help - but if you have a weak/bad heart it doesn't matter if you're the fittest man on earth.

Horrible news.

If anything it probably makes it worse that they're professional athletes because they'll probably be working within the red line zone (90%+ of your maximum heart rate) for long (relatively) periods.

Anyway, horrible news, RIP.

Atalanta youth team chief Mino Favini reveals the tragedies that blighted Piermario Morosini’s brief life. “He was golden.”

The 25-year-old collapsed during today’s Pescara-Livorno Serie B match and was owned by Udinese, but grew up in the prestigious Atalanta youth academy.

“He was golden, always trying to help his family. That was Piermario Morosini,” explained Favini.

“He grew up at Atalanta with me and I saw him playing as a very young boy. He was a fantastic lad who always rushed to help everyone. He lived for his family.

“Yet he was such an unlucky man. He lost both parents young, his brother and sister have physical handicaps. His little brother recently killed himself by jumping out of a window. He had the most unfortunate life.

“Udinese signed him from us and he was very talented. He had a strong career, was respected by all his teammates. Everywhere he went, people spoke highly of him. He had a heart of gold.”

Former Vicenza teammate Raffaele Schiavi, now a defender at Padova, posted a picture of Morosini’s smiling face on Twitter.

“Despite the many family problems he had, Moro always had a smile on his face and never let those issues come through. It’s how I want to remember him.”

:(

It's bad to see anyone die when playing a sport they love and are good at. R.I.P

I can remember when Foé of Man City died. That was hard to hear how a player in his prime came to die in a match he was looking forward to playing in.

Are the games that are to be played tomorrow off as well?

That's very understandable really and a good sign of respect.

Just wondering now, apart from thinking of the players fans, team mates and friends. What happens to any bets that have been on the games that should have been played. I also apologize if this seems inconsiderate of me. I do not mean to be disrespectful in any kind of way.