The 2012 Summer Transfer Window thread

Lineker

Got to be bollocks. If Fergie wanted him he would have got him before the Olympics.

Don't see Neymar ever going to United no matter the offer to be honest.

I don't see him playing in England. His name has been banded around for quite some time now, surprised he hasn't already been picked up by one of the big 2 in Spain.

Got to be bollocks. If Fergie wanted him he would have got him before the Olympics.

I don't see him playing in England. His name has been banded around for quite some time now, surprised he hasn't already been picked up by one of the big 2 in Spain.

Probably because he's always stated he wants to stay until after the Olympics.

Do you believe everything a football player says?

He's a superstar in Brazil, he's on stupid wages and there's always the possibility that he'd fail if he went abroad. So why move? It's not like he'd honestly care about a Champions League medal or a Premier/La League medal <_<

Greed and ego. Yeah he might be on a lot but he'd be on more at City/PSG/Barca/Real/Chelsea/Wherever, plus the chance to prove himself amongst the best in the world on a weekly basis. I'd be shocked if he doesn't come to Europe by the time he reaches his prime.

No, but South American players (particularly Brazilian) have a much larger affinity for their homeland than most people in terms of representation and the like. Being one of the hottest superstar Brazilian players on one of the most famous and storied Brazilian clubs playing for the national team at the Olympics while being hosted in your home country ?

Do you really think there isn't something to that ? I mean he's been pretty consistent with it (not the first time he's stated this). Surely it's because he's not been offered insanely high wages by any of the top 5 clubs in the world right ?

No, but South American players (particularly Brazilian) have a much larger affinity for their homeland than most people in terms of representation and the like.

My god. Why do none of the top South American players (particularly Brazilian) play in South America then?

No, but South American players (particularly Brazilian) have a much larger affinity for their homeland than most people in terms of representation and the like.

My god. Why do none of the top South American players (particularly Brazilian) play in South America then?

There are plenty of Brazilian players that are "top" players that play in Brazil. The most recent call ups include Dede, Rever, Jefferson, Cassio, Lucas Moura (leaving in January to PSG), Neymar, Leandro Damio ... Ganso is another in the mix.

Obviously the absolute "best of the best" are going to play in the top few leagues in the world (which goes for every single country that plays the sport). SA players generally don't leave until they're into their 20s (20-23) ... right after that Olympic level cut off. Brazil's league is also the best in SA so staying a tad longer isn't really that big of a deal. Of course, the 1% (Messi etc) are culled very early but outside of that many "top" players play in SA until 20 or their early 20s. Yeah there are plenty of Brazilian and Argentine "top" players that leave early or are stars in other leagues at a young age. They're also two of the top countries at producing individual football talent.

Argentine players are the "worst" at leaving early as well.

10 Colombian, 8 Uruguayan, 16 Paraguayan, 11 Venezuelan, and 10 Chilean current national team players play in Mexico or SA.

Of course, one's definition of "top" is going to make a pretty huge difference here.