Django Unchained

GoGo Yubari

So the cast turnover, while not common, doesn't really seem indicative of the content of the film.

Yes and no. High cast turnover rate could be completely coincidental, or could mean that many people were uncomfortable with the content of the film or didn't think it was really all that good. Again, just me being skeptical. I'll be in line to check it out. I'm not a huge Tarantino fan, but I like to check out his films because it's always an interesting experience.

If it wasn't good, DiCaprio wouldn't be wasting his time with it. There's been near universal praise of the script. Cast drop outs have been a coincidence.

Oh my god the trailer looks glorious.

I love the western genre and for the most part I like Tarantino (with much love for Pulp Fiction & Reservoir Dogs)so I was always interested in this and then the trailer looks fabulous.

Exactly. I mean, people know what they're getting when it comes to Tarantino. The guy is a one trick pony. He doesn't change his style for anybody. The thing about him is that that trick he pulls every time is great. Leo DiCaprio is very careful with his movie selections these days. The man frothing at the mouth for an Oscar. I'm sure he believes that the Great Gatsby will be his shot this year, so why not have fun on a Tarantino set? And as I mentioned before, Will Smith is the most careful actor out there. He knew what Tarantino was all about, so he didn't sign on for the film.

It's just a case of whether or not the actors accept Tarantino's style of work. You always know what you're getting.

So the cast turnover, while not common, doesn't really seem indicative of the content of the film.

Yes and no. High cast turnover rate could be completely coincidental, or could mean that many people were uncomfortable with the content of the film or didn't think it was really all that good. Again, just me being skeptical. I'll be in line to check it out. I'm not a huge Tarantino fan, but I like to check out his films because it's always an interesting experience.

If it wasn't good, DiCaprio wouldn't be wasting his time with it. There's been near universal praise of the script. Cast drop outs have been a coincidence.

J. Edgar begs to differ.

I have no reason to be skeptical because DiCaprio would not pick the movie unless it was going to be good. J. Edgar was boring, but that was a result more of Clint Eastwood directing a movie far out of his comfort zone than a poor script. Tarantino is in his comfort zone with this. I've basically liked every Tarantino film to date (Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill being far above the rest though) and have high hopes for this. And, as Maxx said, the script has gotten a ton of acclaim. Its release can't come soon enough.

As excited as I am to see this, I do want to say that I would have preferred Idris Elba as Django instead of Jamie Foxx.

I was initially ready to agree with you, but I don't think this is an Elba role. I think he's a better actor than Foxx but I think Foxx is a little more weaselly, which works better with what I've seen from the movie.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great fucking movie. Can't see it getting any major awards hauls, but I hope Jamie Foxx gets a nod for best actor and someone out of Waltz, DiCaprio, or Jackson gets a nod for supporting actor. I'd prefer Jackson, really; I think he did an amazing job playing Stephen and added tons of nuance to a clever subversion of one of American history's most toxic stock characters.

Excellent movie. Though after Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds, I wasn't expecting it to be as raw and real as it was. Obviously, I have no issue with violence, but this was the first Tarantino movie to actually make me feel uncomfortable. And not just because the 110 uses of "nigger," I expected that, but just the scary, sad fact that most of this stuff happened to slaves. I guess that's why I don't really get where the controversy's coming from because Tarantino did make a very honest movie that depicts the horrors of slavery, showing the shit they don't teach you in social studies class. Obviously there's the revenge tale that crosses over into fantasy, but the world Tarantino created is an accurate look at our nation's darkest period.

Now that I know what I'm in for, I already want to watch it again.

• Like 2