Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting bits about Guardians of the Galaxy from CinemaBlend.

Star-Lord, the character set to be played by Chris Pratt in Marvel Studios' upcoming Guardians of The Galaxy, is a half human/half alien who finds his calling in outer space as an intergalactic police officer part if the titular group of crimefighters. Because of half his species, it shouldn't come as a surprise that at least some of the film will be grounded on Earth. But unlike, for example, 2011's Green Lantern, it seems that once the movie departs our planet it's not coming back.
SFX Magazine recently had a chance to sit down with Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, and in posting a snippet of the interview on their website they reveal that most of the James Gunn will be set in outer space. Asked if the Phase Two movies of the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be more "cosmic" than its predecessor, Feige was at first hesitant, saying, "I wouldn’t say that in a broad sense," but then singled out two very big films that will be part of Phase Two set beyond Earth.
"The Thor film and the Guardians Of The Galaxy film certainly are cosmic. Guardians and Thor will take the brunt of the cosmic side of the universe, particularly Guardians, which is 95% in space."
There will be the other side of the coin as well, however, namely in Iron Man 3 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Describing the two films, commenting how they center on character, Feige also added that they will allow the studio to experiment in other broader contexts than being simple action movies.
"What’s exciting to me about Cap – sort of about Iron Man 3 too if you look at it – is it’s tonally almost like a different genre. Shane Black’s described Iron Man 3 as a Tom Clancy sort of political thriller, which I like a lot. We hired our directors on Cap because they loved our explanation that we really want to make a ’70s political thriller masquerading as a big superhero movie. Just like with the first film – we got Joe Johnston because we said, ‘We want to do a ’40s World War Two movie masquerading as a big superhero movie.’ I love that we’re doing a sequel to a film that’s a completely different genre than the first film. I think that’s fun. And the comics do it all the time.”
There is also the looming question about how the new characters of Phase Two will be integrated into The Avengers 2, the most notable heroes being the Guardians. But surprisingly Feige says that Gunn's film is more of its own thing. Responding to the question, "Will Guardians Of The Galaxy prove as integral to Avengers 2 as each Avenger’s solo film?“ the Marvel President said,
"I would say that it does not. It’s much more of a standalone film. It takes place in the same universe. And when we’ve been on the other side of that universe in other movies, you might see those characteristics in Guardians, but the Avengers are not involved with what’s happening out there at this time.”
With both Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World coming later this year and both the Captain America sequel and Guardians of the Galaxy going into production soon, the mysteries of the Marvel Universe will start to unfold soon.

Good to know it won't have much stuff from earth in it, Star Lord is a Marvel Cosmic character, he should be out in the Universe. And oh man, I cannot wait to nerd out over all the races you might spot around. I'll lose my shit if they sneak a few Skrulls into the background of a scene, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to give it a shot, because I think he has the charisma to pull it off, but Drax isn't a background character. He's not a muscle-bound, silent type guy. He's going to be right at the forefront of the film, unless they are taking liberties with the character.

I think Jason Momoa would have been much better (on paper) to portray Drax the Destroyer the way he is in the books. That being said, I haven't a single negative thing to say about Marvel's casting thus far in their cinematic universe. There have been some roles given that were questionable at first, but after having seen the films, I have total faith that the company is well aware of what they're doing, and that they've seen something in Dave Bautista that is going to shine through in his biggest film role to date.

If you don't think Batista can do anything past silent, muscle monster, then you clearly weren't watching WWE in 2010. Heeltista was the man. I have total confidence in Marvels casting and it's kinda cool, but man, it's going to be really fucking jarring watching Guardians of the Galaxy with a green Batista in a bunch of scenes.

If you don't think Batista can do anything past silent, muscle monster, then you clearly weren't watching WWE in 2010. Heeltista was the man. I have total confidence in Marvels casting and it's kinda cool, but man, it's going to be really fucking jarring watching Guardians of the Galaxy with a green Batista in a bunch of scenes.

I loved Batista when I watched wrestling still. But success on the WWE level doesn't necessarily translate to success in film. It's a completely different beast, that yes, happens to use some of the same tools. I think he can do it. I just think Momoa would have been a safer choice.

I think Batista played Brass Body in Man With the Iron Fists with more layers than "quiet brooding monster." I was genuinely surprised and impressed by him there. He'll do well.

• Like 1

Georges St. Pierre has been cast in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. As Batroc the Leaper.

Not even gonna front. The very fact that Batroc is going to be in a Marvel movie makes me so fucking excited, even if I know they'll make him serious and boring.

I gotta say, outside of Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2, The Winter Soldier is far and away the next Marvel film I'm most excited for. I feel like we've already had a lot of Iron Man, so whilst 3 looks great, I don't think it's going to bring much new to the table outside of the introduction of AIM. Thor seems wonderful, but I think it's going to be a much more contained story, probably very little to do with earth and the lead up to Avengers 2 (Unless the rumor of Thanos appearing is true, which I doubt). But Captain America... it's going to explore Shield more, it's definitely going to be a very different film to Cap 1, with such a huge change of setting. I'm pretty disappointed that Hawkeye isn't going to be in Winter Soldier, but everything about it is really interesting to me. Plus, I feel like we're going to see Steve Rogers become more mature in this next film. He still seems very young in First Avenger and Avengers, so I'm looking forward to him becoming more adult and in line with the Cap from the comics.

Man, I really want The Wolverine to be good. I think it's got a decent chance to, but I just don't think Mr. Logan goes to Japan is really going to be a huge draw to a lot of people.

I think that's why they went with this particular story. The draw is that it's Wolverine and Hugh Jackman, but a lot of people aren't going to recognize any of the other actors or the story. So the film kind of has to rely on being good to have the news spread that it's worth going to see. It feels like this one is banking more on word of mouth, rather than Origins trying to get people to see it because of all the name actors and fan-favorite characters involved.

The Wolverine feels like it's a much more intimate story that is going to rely heavily on the plot.

I am, however, a little worried about the lack of a proper trailer so close to release.

I'm sure it'll be a good story, I just don't think Wolverine in Japan is going to be much of a draw to the average fan. It's really fucking cool that we're getting a super hero film like this, though. If it's successful, I can see it leading way to some great films that aren't quite in the same vein as the Marvel franchise or Batman and Superman.

I'm pretty sure that with it being Hugh Jackman and with it being Wolverine (who's probably top 5 of the most recognizable comic book characters) it'll do fine. The only problem may be that people will feel burnt out witht he superhero movies, after Iron Man and Superman already out. They weren't last year, though.

Yeah, I'm pretty much willing to follow Marvel for the next 20 years of comic book films, but it's a pretty big concern to me that there's going to be some fatigue from the sheer amount of superhero stuff coming out. This also kind of opens up the doors for some spin off films, somewhere down the line.

• Like 1

I'm not so much worried about comic film fatigue. I think that presenting every film as some huge story will lead to a huge downfall eventually, but Marvel seems to understand that.

I think, with the more superhero movies coming, that Marvel especially will be keeping 3-5 properties rather large, while making everything else on a smaller scale. The SHIELD tv series is a good start, and Ant-Man is going to be smaller scale (no pun intended). The rumored Doctor Strange movie probably would be as well, same as if they went ahead with a Black Panther film.

I'm really surprised they haven't announced a Hawkeye and Black Widow team-up film that follows them on a mission for SHIELD. Just something small-scale, nothing too huge. Something to explore the dynamic of their relationship and introduce another villain to the universe.