Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

Oh, yeah, to be specific; I'd rather see it in theaters at a period of time where it's plausibly safe to do so, which is absolutely not the case for a blockbuster film in America in the near-future.

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a Snyder cultist on Reddit and it’s fascinating.  And cultist is absolutely the word to use because this person is completely delusional.  Like I’d be intrigued at this level of fanatical devotion from someone towards anything.  But the fact that it’s towards Zack Snyder, whose films this person claims would be studied in film schools if he had better scripts to work with, (which would also put him on the same level as Nolan and Villeneuve) makes it so much better.

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

I found a Snyder cultist on Reddit and it’s fascinating.  And cultist is absolutely the word to use because this person is completely delusional.  Like I’d be intrigued at this level of fanatical devotion from someone towards anything.  But the fact that it’s towards Zack Snyder, whose films this person claims would be studied in film schools if he had better scripts to work with, (which would also put him on the same level as Nolan and Villeneuve) makes it so much better.

This is such a baffling take because he surely realises Synder is actively choosing / writing these scripts? 

also lol film school is too snobby for Nolan as it is, Synder's not got a chance

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Red Devil-Taker316 said:

WW84 really tries to do way too much.

Too much focus on Max Lord, not enough on Cheetah. In fact, not enough of her as Cheetah.

I'll just say be sure you watch the end credits, and aren't drinking or eating anything.

If I gave star ratings here, this one would get a star less than the first movie. Maybe even a star and a half. 

WW84 thoughts

Spoiler

Yeah, it felt like something was missing. Like, both Pedro Pascal and Kristen Wiig were really entertaining but when it came time for the endgame they were less intriguing villains putting on great performances and more one-dimensional DC movie villains. And it's frustrating this keeps happening! So many of these movies take some really good acting, good character build-up, and just handwave it into "I'm the final boss" at the end.

I think they left the door open for Cheetah to return in a hypothetical third installment since we didn't see her renounce her wish. That thirst for power might still be there inside her, yadda yadda yadda. But I much preferred Kristen Wiig playing everything up to when she encountered Diana and Steve at the White House. After that she was the one-dimensional video game boss I mentioned before. But everything about Barbara Minerva being lovingly awkward to suddenly being super powerful but still lovingly awkward because she didn't know what to do with it was some of the best stuff of the movie. Likewise, Max Lord being a down on his luck oil grifter who suddenly controls half the world's oil was a lot better than Max Lord who needs to harvest organs to stay alive because of the monkey's paw.

At least the overall look of the final conflicts felt less video-gamey this time. The first Wonder Woman really, really suffered from the last third just playing out like any ol' video game boss battle. If I wanted that, I'd play a video game.

Diana winning with a conversation and plead to morality is refreshing. Letting Max Lord return to his son where he has to tell him "I'm a terrible person" before presumably going to jail for a long time is more heroic than what we often get in these movies. And showing mercy for Cheetah, hoping that she'll return to being Barbara, is the kind of mercy that a real villain can turn back to hurt Wonder Woman.

My real hopes are that we get a sequel and that Asteria plays a major role in it. Because, shit, Lynda Carter fucking deserves it. Maybe the worst part of them having to release this movie on HBO MAX due to the fact very few people can go to the theaters is that we all but certainly lost the collective, audible gasps when she turned around.

Also watching this at home was a stark reminder about how much better the experience is watching a movie like this in theaters. I don't have a high-priced sound system and I'm digitally streaming on a Roku that doesn't do 4k because the 4k stick we do have was overheating within 15 minutes of starting the movie.

• Like 2

I saw someone describe WW84 as "more weird than bad, but also more weird than good" and that's probably how I feel about it.

Spoiler

I thought Kristen Wiig was well-cast, thought Pedro Pascal was... slightly miscast but I also very much wasn't expecting to more or less get the Giffen/DeMatteis version of Max Lord given that the whole reason he's associated with Wonder Woman was associated with his shift to being an outright monster villain. The plot felt weird and weightless, like things were happening because they had to happen, nothing really landed as a big emotional moment for me and I think I only had a couple "oh, that was really cool" moments here and there (like Wonder Woman deflecting a bullet into a vase that blew up in Max's face to prevent him from running away). I'd probably slot it between Aquaman and Justice League down there in the "this was alright" tier of DCU movies.

And boy, yeah, I ran into some problems with it as a streaming thing. Tried HBO Max on Xbox One and the picture quality was a total mess. Tried HBO Max on my Roku and it solved that problem but every single time I had to go out and back in it would start back at the beginning. I don't know if I'd have enjoyed the movie better in a theater but I probably would have gotten through the duller parts better and depending on the crowd I saw it with, might have gotten more out of stuff like the Lynda Carter cameo.

I thought it was generally not good but my sister's TV and surround sound system is not setup how it should be so that may have had some influence on my opinion. Not sure I'm willing to watch it again any time soon to confirm, though. 

Will trade Disney+ log in for HBO Max log in :shifty:

• RPS locked this topic