Has mafia become less fun?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Here's the problem in the shortest way I can phrase it. The players who drive activity get killed almost immediately. Players who don't drive activity last until the end of the game. Mafia has turned into preseason (American) football, and no one likes preseason (American) football.

Yup.

I am trying hard doing recruitment for newbie mafia, though and weve had some success there.

Yeah, when I run my mafia soon, I will be incredibly harsh on lurkers and not allow people who generally lurk to play the game in the first place. I'll check what they did in previous games, and if they posted (quantity, not quality, as the latter can only be gained by playing) then they're free to enter. I worried that it might seem pretentious, as if I'm setting my game up to be 'better' than some people and don't want it to come across that way. But I can only imagine how frustrating it is for a game runner to spend hours of their time designing a game that, in the end, a bunch of people just lurk through and ruin by not actually playing.

But being harsh on lurkers - e.g modkilling them usually punishes the people that are playing. Naiwf's got it right - trying to drive activity is more likely to get you lynched. It's just trying to get a group of people that are willing to play the game properly is the biggest task.

Guest Owned by Quickquid

How many players were in the biggest smallest post games.

12, 7, 19, 16, 14, 12, 19, 12, 15, 10.

EWB's 10 Longest-Lasting Mafia Games

Note: These timespans end when endgame is reached. Time spent waiting for a finale post is not included.

1) Norro's Anime Mafia V (137 days)

2) cymru's Harry Potter Mafia (99 days)

3) SDM's NHL Mafia (80 days)

4) TheRossWalker's Futurama Mafia (78 days)

5) Norro's Mythology Mafia (77 days)

6) SDM's Battlestar Galactica Mafia (71 days)

7) phatman's Scream Mafia (70 days)

8) (tie) ndqw's Team America Mafia, Zan's Arkham Mafia (68 days)

10) MPH's EWB Mafia (65 days)

EWB's 10 Quickest Mafia Games

1) TEOL's Traditional Mafia V (2 days)

2) (tie) Zan's Mafia, MPH's Perfect Ten Mafia (4 days)

4) Split's Mage Wars Mafia 1.5 (5 days)

5) (tie) Momo's Anime Mafia II, C-MIL's Zodiac Mafia, RW's CSI Mafia (6 days)

8) (tie) SDM's Firesale Mafia, SDM's SDM Mafia, SDM's The Thing Mafia (7 days)

In fact, what the hell. I did it for Kingmaker.

Incidentally, my favourite thing about the short length of Trad Maf V was the fact that we still managed to have a massive blow up argument in the middle of it that led to Ruki threatening to quit Mafia altogether and leaving me with a lasting hatred of oldskool which I still have today.

In fact, does oldskool still play Mafia? Because if he does, he's still banned from any I run. :shifty:

Incidentally, my favourite thing about the short length of Trad Maf V was the fact that we still managed to have a massive blow up argument in the middle of it that led to Ruki threatening to quit Mafia altogether and leaving me with a lasting hatred of oldskool which I still have today.

In fact, does oldskool still play Mafia? Because if he does, he's still banned from any I run. :shifty:

Is this the argument where I was calling Pleatherface out on whether or not he had a kid? :shifty:

That was kinda awkward.

Is this the argument where I was calling Pleatherface out on whether or not he had a kid? :shifty:

That was kinda awkward.

No, that was the argument after you posted a fake kill in the thread and I modkilled you and oldskool would not fucking shut up about it afterwards, even after you and I had made up over it. And then I kicked him out of the game and tried to put you back in, on the grounds that you hadn't meant to break the rules while oldskool was actively advocating the idea that cheating was fine and I was being a dick for trying to enforce the rules, but couldn't because I was drunk when we made up and had stupidly told you who the scum was.

Memories. :wub:

Man, back when I didn't have to run games from my phone.

Man, back when I didn't have to run games from my phone.

Ran them on a videotape instead.

'Seven days...'

Guest Owned by Quickquid

Average Player Count Per Game By Year

2005: 25.5

2006: 25.6

2007: 22.2

2008: 22.9

2009: 20.1

2010: 20

2011: 18.4

2012: 17.5

This one surprised me. Thought it would be more haphazard.

So, fewer people playing per game ... perhaps it's because Mafia allows for some stuff that other threads in the forums don't allow, because of the nature of the game?

I don't really understand the point being made here.

I think i'm likely to test this out a bit in my Walking Dead Mafia when it comes up. It'll be a 20 player game but i'm going to set strict deadlines and they will not be long lasting deadlines. So anybody signing up will need to be active because if your not, deadline will come quickly. Games where deadlines last a week for each day phase are FAR too long. Even five days is pushing it. One way is to deal in hard limits on the deadlines and make sure they are short.