Has mafia become less fun?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

i think it means on a random new forum that's created specially. and no one knows whose who because maxx makes all the accounts or something.

Precisely. Though I'm not a fan of doing it on a separate board, it solves some problems that I think have hurt mafia. Big name players won't be killed off on night one, as no one will know who they are. The entire stupid schtick of "So and so is always like this when he's scum" or "So and so was scum in this other game and he acted like this" would be out the window as well. It's the only way I can see that would bring the game back to how it was when it first began here.

Guest Owned by Quickquid

EWB's 10 Busiest Mafia Games (Most Posts Per Day)

1) SDM's SDM Mafia (117 posts per day)

2) Ruki's Final Fantasy Mafia (100 posts per day)

3) TEOL's Traditional Mafia V (87 posts per day)

4) Zan's Mafia Cubed (83 posts per day)

5) RW's WWF 1999 Mafia (80 posts per day)

6) RW's WWF 1992 Mafia (76 posts per day)

7) Split's Mage Wars Mafia 1.5 (76 posts per day)

8) Zan's Mafia V (64 posts per day)

9) Zan's Mafia (63 posts per day)

10) YoungB's NFL Quarterbacks Mafia (60 posts per day)

EWB's 10 Least Busy Mafia Games (Fewest Posts Per Day)

1) Cloudy's Watchmen Mafia (3.5 posts per day)

2) Rider's Strip Mafia (3.9 posts per day)

3) Bill's Tag Team Larry Zbyszkos Mafia (4.2 posts per day)

4) Plubby's Witches 2 Mafia (4.5 posts per day)

5) TEOL's Silent Hill II Mafia (4.9 posts per day)

6) burninator's Jurassic Park Mafia (6.3 posts per day)

7) Norro's Webcom Mafia 4.5 (6.6 posts per day)

8) C-MIL's The Room Mafia (7 posts per day)

9) stokerino's Yes, Prime Minister Mafia (7.1 posts per day)

10) MPH's Lucky Seven Mafia (7.1 posts per day)

I honestly can't put my finger on exactly why mafia doesn't feel fun anymore. Sure there has been some really irritating arguments, like the one with Summ in that game a while back but there were arguments back when I was really into mafia and it didn't phase me so much then.

I'd say the overwhelming reason Mafia has become less fun is the combination of better players getting bored and no longer playing, and the drop-off in posts per day. There doesn't seem to be much, if any, logic in the players that are chosen for lynches these days. There's a bunch of ridiculous ground rules people call upon to find players suspicious and what's baffling is that almost none of them have been backed up by anything in the form of results over time. People keep peddling out the same reasons for suspecting people as if they're sure-fire proof of scumminess and in practice, I've barely ever seen any of them work. Some of them actually seem to be more indicative of a town alignment than anything, but even when you argue that you just can't stop an easy bandwagon. That's what made it less fun for me and why I stopped playing, anyway. I'm sure the way games drag the fuck on and nobody really bothers to post much any more are what makes it less fun for the majority.

Edited by Pesci

Replacements as a whole can be a bit of a kick in the teeth, though. If you're playing as mafia, and you've purposefully killed a player because they're good, having them subbed back in late in the game can be a bit shit. Happened in RW's batman mafia when Be completely killed it on being a replacement and happened as lately as RW coming back for the last phase as X-Men mafia. People should just play the games they sign up for :shifty:

Kind of amusing, considering how day starts used to be a rare thing around here and I remember a time when people said they should be used more. Heh.

Night starts where the cop doesn't find scum are just the same as day starts except with dead people. Day starts aren't the problem. People not going out on limbs, not trying to make things happen without confirmation, and being afraid of being wrong are the problem. And that's the people who actually decide to show up.

• Like 3

Guest Owned by Quickquid

Yeah. Day starts allow for no lynches and therefore de facto night starts. Nobody ever wants to do that, ergo day starts aren't the problem. Getting people to post more is the problem.

Guest Owned by Quickquid

EWB's 10 Most Vocal Mafia Games (Most Posts Per Player)

1) Zan's lol, mafia (96 posts per player)

2) Ego's EWB Newbie Mafia (73 posts per player)

3) MPH's EWB Mafia (65 posts per player)

4) phatman's X-Men Mafia (64 posts per player)

5) Ruki's Final Fantasy Mafia (57 posts per player)

6) Zan's Game of Thrones Mafia (55 posts per player)

7) RW's WWF 1992 Mafia (54 posts per player)

8) Molly's NCIS Mafia (53 posts per player)

9) Maxx's Magically Mystical Mafia (52 posts per player)

10) Zan's Mafia V (51 posts per player)

EWB's 10 Least Vocal Mafia Games (Fewest Posts Per Player)

1) RW's CSI Mafia (5.3 posts per player)

2) C-MIL's WCW Mafia II (7.8 posts per player)

3) Mick's Ah-Nold Mafia (7.8 posts per player)

4) C-MIL's Zodiac Mafia (7.8 posts per player)

5) Plubby's Witches 2 Mafia (9.2 posts per player)

6) Rashid's Stephen King Mafia (9.6 posts per player)

7) Sousa's Jobber Mafia (9.8 posts per player)

8) Rider's Strip Mafia (10.6 posts per player)

9) Bill's Tag Team Larry Zbyszkos Mafia (10.8 posts per player)

10) Norro's Webcom Mafia 4.5 (11.3 posts per player)

Night starts where the cop doesn't find scum are just the same as day starts except with dead people. Day starts aren't the problem. People not going out on limbs, not trying to make things happen without confirmation, and being afraid of being wrong are the problem. And that's the people who actually decide to show up.

This is why I stopped playing, people don't play any more and those who do daren't be wrong. You can't look at voting patterns or anything because no-one votes for anything unless the game pretty much unanimously agrees anyway. Mafia should be closed down for a few months and then be reintroduced with just one game at a time run by TEOL or RW or GoGo or Zan or someone like that... but then you'll get people going "OMGZ elitist!" or something.