A Director's Complete Filmography

Jimmy

So last night I watched Bottle Rocket which now means I've seen every film Wes Anderson's ever directed, joining a pretty small list of mine which basically includes Tarantino and a bunch of people who've only made one or two films. I know I just need to watch Following to be done with all of Nolan's stuff and I'm not far off with people like The Coens, Kubrick or Lynch.

I already know I'll never be able to add Hitchcock to that list because the guy's just made far too many films. :shifty:

Just interested to know how many people have seen a director's complete filmography and who. Could also be an interesting discussion into trying to rank their work and debating their best stuff. Thought it could be interesting.

Full, non-TV directed films...I'm close to Danny Boyle but he's not had that many to be fair.

I've watched Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, A Life Less Ordinary, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Sunshine and Slumdog Millionaire.

I've not seen Millions or 127 Hours, although I'd like to see both.

I'm also pretty close with Fincher. Some people are just too hard to do; like Woody Allen or Billy Wilder. I've done two Terrence Mallick films, so I'm sure he'd be quite easy to complete. Oh, and I'm only two off with Paul Thomas Anderson and I'm very, very interested in see both Hard Eight & Punch Drunk Love.

edit: Hammy, I didn't love 127 hours, but it's definitely worth watching. I loved Trainspotting and liked 28 days & sunshine. Is his other stuff worth checking out?

As of Christmas Day I'll have seen every single movie Quentin Tarantino has directed. I've never seen True Romance, though.

Without checking to confirm, I believe I'm Miller's Crossing, The Man Who Wasn't There, and Intolerable Cruelty away from having seen every single Coen Brothers movie.

Stanley Kubrick and David Lynch are the only two for me, but I'm working on Kurosawa and Takeshi Kitano, though obviously that's largely dependent on subtitled versions and availability, so might be tricky.

As a kid I won a box-set of every Hitchcock film on VHS, but I doubt I ever watched all of them.

I'm also pretty close with Fincher. Some people are just too hard to do; like Woody Allen or Billy Wilder. I've done two Terrence Mallick films, so I'm sure he'd be quite easy to complete. Oh, and I'm only two off with Paul Thomas Anderson and I'm very, very interested in see both Hard Eight & Punch Drunk Love.

edit: Hammy, I didn't love 127 hours, but it's definitely worth watching. I loved Trainspotting and liked 28 days & sunshine. Is his other stuff worth checking out?

Shallow Grave is great, I really liked The Beach, Life Less Ordinary is decent enough, Slumdog is very good. Basically Danny Boyle is an excellent director and I love that he works a lot with the writer Alex Garland and with the composer John Murphy. That's a dream team for me.

I've probably seen the vast majority of Christopher Nolan actually.

Not seen Following, seen Memento, seen Insomnia (good remake), seen Batman Begins, seen parts of The Prestige, seen Dark Knight, seen Inception, seen Dark Knight Rises.

For some reason I keep mistakenly thinking that The Machinist was one of his, but it's not.

Out of interest, what's ya favourite Lynch film Skummy?

Depends what I'm after. I think Mulholland Drive is the best "pure" Lynch movie; it has absolutely everything you expect from him, and is beautifully shot and directed. I do love Eraserhead, but I'd place that amongst his artwork rather than his films, as it fits better there, having more in common with his painting than any of his other movies. Blue Velvet is fantastic, too, and a lot more accessible than Mulholland Drive (which I didn't find as weird as most people seem to, but it's certainly not conventional)

As of Xmas day, I'll have seen all of Tarantino's films. I've seen all of David Fincher's, Judd Apatow's, Sam Mendes', Guy Ritchie's, Edgar Wright's, and maybe a couple of others' films.

As for directors that I'm off by one? Coen Brothers (Ladykillers), Nolan (Following), Affleck (Argo), and a few others I can't recall.

And then there's a few at just two left like Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood, The Master) and, surprisingly, Michael Bay (Transformers 2, Pain and Gain).

There are a few directors I just need a few to finish like Soderbergh and Boyle.

Ah, yeah. I'm Fantastic Mr. Fox away from having seen all of Wes Anderson's movies and Following away from Nolan. At one point in time I'd seen the complete filmography of Kevin Smith but I've seen nothing since Clerks II and am in no hurry to rectify that.

For P.T. Anderson, I need Hard Eight and There Will Be Blood.