David Bowie releases first single in a decade

Lineker

• Admin
Singer David Bowie has released a new single on his 66th birthday, following years of silence and speculation.

The glam-rock legend has released the recording Where are we now? on iTunes, which will be followed by a new album, entitled The Next Day, in March.

Bowie has not performed live since 2006 and has rarely been seen in public since then.

The new track was recorded in New York and produced by the singer's long-time collaborator Tony Visconti.

According to a statement released through his press representatives, "throwing shadows and avoiding the industry treadmill is very David Bowie".

The Space Oddity star, it continued, was "the kind of artist who writes and performs what he wants when he wants".

Where are we now? is accompanied by a video directed by Tony Oursler which harks back to Bowie's time in Berlin.

The promo, which can be viewed via the singer's website, features his face projected onto the body of a puppet.

In September Bowie, who was last reported to be living in New York with his wife and daughter, denied reports he was involved in an upcoming exhibition charting his career.

http://www.davidbowie.com/vision?videopremiere=true

Can't say it does anything for me. Thoughts?

The song and the video both seemingly must be taken in as a whole to be appreciated. If you quit either before they're done, I doubt you'd get the full effect. It's good and I could see listening to it again. That said, I can't say how it stacks up against his previous stuff.

I actually thought it was really good. It had a great build-up and I really like the atmosphere of it. But, as Josh says, you sort of need to watch the video and the song together otherwise the whole feel of the song is sort of lost.

Totally called this. Boom.

I like it, it's not amazing but it's in no way bad either. His voice seems to be going more towards Robert Wyatt with age and that's a wonderful thing. I don't know that I rate it as a lead single and I'm still a little apprehensive about a new album but I've got enough trust in Bowie to not release something bad.

But yeah, the video is wonderful.

Feels to me like the video and song are meant more as an arty thing than a lead single proper, even if it will be on the album. Doesn't do a lot for me, but I'm in Berlin in a few weeks so might do a song based tour...

Singer David Bowie has released a new single on his 66th birthday, following years of silence and speculation.

The glam-rock legend has released the recording Where are we now? on iTunes, which will be followed by a new album, entitled The Next Day, in March.

Bowie has not performed live since 2006 and has rarely been seen in public since then.

The new track was recorded in New York and produced by the singer's long-time collaborator Tony Visconti.

According to a statement released through his press representatives, "throwing shadows and avoiding the industry treadmill is very David Bowie".

The Space Oddity star, it continued, was "the kind of artist who writes and performs what he wants when he wants".

Where are we now? is accompanied by a video directed by Tony Oursler which harks back to Bowie's time in Berlin.

The promo, which can be viewed via the singer's website, features his face projected onto the body of a puppet.

In September Bowie, who was last reported to be living in New York with his wife and daughter, denied reports he was involved in an upcoming exhibition charting his career.

Damn, missed that. Guess I'll have to be crucified now, right Eddie?

I really like it...it doesn't feel like a lead single, as it's not all that dynamic, but I wouldn't complain if the whole album was that understated. I agree with Ollie that he's starting to develop a Robert Wyatt-esque quality to his voice.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a450115/david-bowies-band-wants-to-tour-says-guitarist-earl-slick.html

Not much to get excited about, but at least everyone (besides David) appears to be on the page of wanting to do shows. This is going to put "Bowie tour" next to "Smiths reunion" on my most frequently searched news topics. :/