"Important" Rock Artists/Groups

thatshortguy

14c. The Doors, while still active minus Morrison, are mainly relying on their past work to gain attention. Same goes for Sabbath, sadly.

I don't see why that matters. It's not like it makes them less influential or anything (and BS is reuniting for OzzFest this year :D )

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Squancho beat me to the Pixies, as I expected, so I'll throw in the SINGLE most important musician EVER, in my opinion, who I am shocked and appaled that no one's mentioned.

David Bowie, anyone?

Guest bruins72

Sadly, I don't see any current groups that are all that important to rock music. Sure there are some bands that are still active that have made HUGE contributions to rock but their current music is no longer relevant. Bands like Aerosmith, Metallica, and Kiss have made a huge impact on music but they're just shadows of their former selves. As for newer bands, none of them really stand out to me as special. I don't think there are many current bands that will be remembered 20 years from now.

Maybe a homer pick, but I'm going to say KoRn. A lot of people may hate 'Nu-Metal' and the bands that KoRn influenced, but they really jump started a whole new genre, jump started some popular (though not great bands) like Limp Bizkit, have been around for 10 years still doing their thing, and besides one album, never really got mainstream success (in my opinion).

I think it was more Faith No More who jump started the genre that became Nu-Metal, they pretty much spawned it all.

• Admin

I think you've got to look at U2 as being one of the most "important" rock groups still making music. I'd say Radiohead too, but you've already discounted them.

David Bowie, anyone?

When did Bowie become rock? :P

Guest Wrestlekid

I'm actually quite surprised Pearl Jam hasn't been mentioned. They have been going on for over 10 years, and have yet to put out a "bad" album. Not to mention, Pearl Jam completely owns live, uses their music to strengthen their beleifs (See Bushleaguer), and doesn't whore the media like a lot of bands.

Sadly, I don't see any current groups that are all that important to rock music. Sure there are some bands that are still active that have made HUGE contributions to rock but their current music is no longer relevant. Bands like Aerosmith, Metallica, and Kiss have made a huge impact on music but they're just shadows of their former selves. As for newer bands, none of them really stand out to me as special. I don't think there are many current bands that will be remembered 20 years from now.

While I agree with you concerning Aerosmith, etc. etc., I think there are artists out there who are contributing and expanding rock's borders. Queens Of The Stone Age, System of a Down, Days of the New, Dave Matthews, and Tool are all bands that are expanding the boundaries of the genre without sacrificing some of the core elements.

When did Bowie become rock?  :P

If Radiohead are rock, then Bowie damn sure is. Besides, I know this is a whole other debate, but what constitutes rock music?

Guest Locutus of Borg

Little Feat. Period. Look at them. Going strong since the early 70's taking a road similar to that of the Grateful Dead. After losing members and adding members, they still have a huge fanbase built around the world. They have what can be argued to be the best live album ever in "Waiting For Columbus," an album that has influenced many a live album. Again, Little Feat had that same ability that the Dead had to stretch one 5-7 minute song into a huge 30-45 minute long jam session.

I'll admit I missed the last line so will withdraw the Beatles, and replace with the Super Furry Animals. Constantly forward moving band, constantly pushing forward boundaries. Knocking out the whole album on DVD anyone with a video for each, premiering in cinemas the day the album was released. Recording an album in surround sound. Boasting an E-list Hollywood actor as a former band member. Having Paul McCartney crunching carrots and celery as a guest musician. Holding a Guinness World Record for most expletives in one song. Making the best selling Welsh language album of all time. The list goes on...

When did Bowie become rock?  :P

Dylan and Cave aren't really rock either but they have had a profund effect on Rock. I would have added Bowie if I had of thought of him. To me Bowie paved the way for industrial. I don't think there would be a Marilyn Manson without Bowie. You could also argue that Bowie heavily influenced Reznor.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned The Rolling Stones, surely they must rate.

AH, sorry I my idea's were useless, I guess it was a bit of a reach for some. However, I will try again...

Primus - This could be one you might be more specific and just stick with Les Claypool. As we all know, Primus is still very active, and Claypool may be the greatest bass player of all time. It seems this would be a good addition for funkier, more abstract rock from today.

Mike Patton - He's works with so many groups, it's best to just stick with Patton himself. His music is also very much like Claypool's, in that it's a bit different than much of everything else. Patton throws alot of musical variations into his music, and would also be a good mention.

Elvis Costello - He has been active for years, and he has experimented with so many different kinds of music. He's branched into punk, new wave, country, or just straight rock. Costello is also still a great show to see live, and even had a new album out last year.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Guest Wrestling_Man

Iron Maiden. The gateway to British Metal bands.

I was waiting for somebody to say them. I think they are so important is because of there stage presence and there lyrics.

Judas Priest is very important because they were one of the first hard rock bands from England to bring that scene over to the US, along with Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.

Motorhead is important because they were the first ones to bring in thrash metal. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have Anthrax and we sure as hell wouldn't have Metallica.

AC/DC in my opinion is maybe the most important rock band of all time because they proved that you don't need makeup, or love songs to make it. They just always gave you that F U mentality. And that, even though you might hear them on Classic Rock today, they really have never sold out. Them and Iron Maiden and maybe Judas Priest are the only bands that never seld out. But that's my opinion.

Guest bruins72

While I agree with you concerning Aerosmith, etc. etc., I think there are artists out there who are contributing and expanding rock's borders.  Queens Of The Stone Age, System of a Down, Days of the New, Dave Matthews, and Tool are all bands that are expanding the boundaries of the genre without sacrificing some of the core elements.

Even though I don't care for them, I can see your arguement that Tool is making an impact. I can't really say that I see QotSA, SoaD, or DotN being remembered 10 or 20 years from now. Not in the way that people look back at Led Zeppelin and the like now. And while I'm a big DMB fan (going to see them twice this summer), I don't really consider them a rock band.

Guest Dead Rats

I agree. as good as they are, they will never be classed as 'legends' or some of the greatest bands of rock. its a shame really. i suppose you could put this in the same league with wrestlers. there are great wrestlers today, a la low ki, but no-one will look back and say 'what a legend'... -_-