EWB's Favorite Movie of 2012: The Voting Thread

GoGo Yubari

IT'S TIME. After a fairly sparse 2011 won just barely by The Muppets, we have a fucking dense field for 2012. So many movies that could make a great showing here. I'm excited to see how it plays out. Rules, as always, go here;

1. You will be fielding a list of your top ten films of the year. Voting, of course, goes like so; list the films from 1 to 10, the show you listed at 1 gets ten points, the show you listed at 2 gets nine points, and so on. That being said, if you didn't watch ten movies (or ten movies you actually liked enough to vote for) feel free to just leave the rest of your ballot blank once you run out. That is totally valid!

2. The films had to be released in their country of origin in 2012. I have no clue what may or may not qualify for that this year. We'll see.

3. You don't need to tell me you've edited your list up until I post saying that voting is closed, because that's when I'll start tallying everything. Then if you really, really want to make a change you should probably let me know.

My ballot coming soon! Happy voting, y'all!

1. The Master

2. The Avengers

3. Django Unchained

4. Looper

5. The Cabin in the Woods

6. Moonrise Kingdom

7. Argo

8. The Man With the Iron Fists

9. Wreck-It Ralph

10. Lincoln

Honorable Mentions: Seven Psychopaths, This Is 40

1. Django Unchained

2. Argo

3. Shut Up And Play The Hits

4. The Master

5. The Avengers

6. Moonrise Kingdom

7. Silver Lining's Playbook

8. Zero Dark Thirty

9. Wreck It Ralph

10. This Is 40

Good year, mostly. Django and Argo especially were wonderful. I didn't like the Master as much as I'd hoped but Seymour-Hoffman and Phoenix both gave the performance of a lifetime. There's a fair few films I'm yet to watch that would likely easily replace the bottom half of the list, if I watch any in the next week or so I'll likely edit because Batman was fun for what it was but filled with so many ridiculous plotholes that it's wore somewhat thin on me and This Is 40 should've been called This Is 40 Hours Long Or At Least It Feels That Way Because My Name Is Judd Apatow And I Love Me A Good Vanity Project That Ends Forty Minutes After The Logical Conclussion Because I'm So Deep And Meaningful.

1. The Avengers

2. The Master

3. Django Unchained

4. Amour

5. The Cabin in the Woods

6. Searching for Sugarman

7. The Dark Knight Rises

8. The Imposter

9. Berberian Sound Studio

10. Moonrise Kingdom

Honourable mentions to Zero Dark, The Raid, Wreck It Ralph, Skyfall, Lincoln, Life of Pi and a bunch of other stuff.

It's been a really, really strong year for film - to the point where I'd happily make a list of fifteen or twenty. The Avengers just steals the top spot for me because it's everything I've wanted to see at a cinema since I was five years old. The Master was just a fantastic piece of filmmaking filled with extraordinary performances - my top two really are interchangeable.

List might change if I watch Beasts or Holy Motors before this closes, but that was tough to make. Dramatic improvement from last year in film, I'd say.

Fuck, this is a tough year. There was a ton of stuff that I really loved... and I can't even cut it apart by what was "best" because it's a list of favorites. Shit.

Honorable mentions to Dredd, Zero Dark Thirty (which was a great film - but not a favorite) and... well, Prometheus. For everything it royally fucked up, Michael Fassbender as David 8 almost helped it make it onto the list.

1. The Avengers

2. The Hobbit

3. The Dark Knight Rises

4. Skyfall

5. Django Unchained

6. The Hunger Games

7. Amazing Spider-Man

8. Cabin in the Woods

9. Moonrise Kingdom

10. Wreck it Ralph

1. Skyfall

2. The Imposter

3. Argo

4. Silver Linings Playbook

5. The Dark Knight

6. Cabin in the Woods

7. God Bless America

8. Amour

9. Berberian Sound Studio

10. The Avengers

EDIT: Agree with Split by the way. 2012 was a fantastic year for cinema when 2011 was the drizzling shits. Here's hoping 2013 is even better.

I don't really now if I've seen 10 films this year but I'll ty to make a list.

1. The Avengers

2. Argo

3. Django Unchained

4. The Dark Knight Rises

5. Skyfall

6. Wreck-it Ralph

7. The Imposter

8. Searching for Sugar Man

9. The Hobbit

10. Safety Not Guaranteed

Edited by Khain

1. Django Unchained

2. The Hobbit

3. The Avengers

4. Hunger Games

5. Dark Knight Rises

6. Looper

7. Wreck It Ralph

8. Cabin In The Woods

9. Man With The Iron Fists

10. Chronicle

Honorable mentions to: 21 Jump Street and Safety Not Guaranteed

Let's see if I even watched 10 films in 2012!

1. The Hobbit

2. The Avengers

3. The Dark Knight Rises

4. The Amazing Spider-Man

5. Looper

6. 21 Jump Street

7. Cabin In The Woods

8. The Raid: Redemption

9. Brave

10. Lawless i guess sure

I liked 21 Jump Street, it was ridiculous and silly but it was good fun while it lasted and the cameo at the end was glorious. It wouldn't have touched my top 10 and would have only just made the cut for a top 15 or 20 but it certainly wasn't out and out terrible.

1 - Les Miserables

2 - The Dark Knight Rises

3 - Avengers Assemble

4 - Skyfall

5 - Amazing Spider-Man

6 - Django Unchained

7 - The Hobbit

8 - Wreck-It Ralph

9 - Hunger Games

10 - 21 Jump Street

Edited by MGW

I was planning to vote for it, but then it said came out in 2012 in it's country of origin and it's a British film. It was released over here 11th January. If I can vote for it it's going at number 1