ITT GA wants your film recommendations

GA!

Quick capsule reviews. Nine to get through. Star ratings galore! Probable typos and grammar issues! LET'S GO!

The Fifth Element (1997) - A standard Star Wars/Stargate/Dune sci-fi adventure gets bogged down from act two onwards by unspeakably awful "comedy". Chris Tucker's performance one of the worst in cinematic history. Hiring Jean Paul Gaultier as costume designer says a lot - like a piece of fashion, Luc Besson only cares if the film worked right there and then in 1997 instead of making something for the ages. I doubt this even worked in 1997. ★

Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) - Let's face it, the gore, penetrative imagery and drill penis are fucking silly (especially when compared to the low-key horror of Eraserhead). But Tetsuo is fascinating, with a lush abrasive atheistic and industrial soundtrack, whose ideas of a metallic world are still making me think extensively about the film almost a week on. I was almost turned on in places. Especially the thing towards the end with the merging of... Uh, I'll keep that unspoilered. ★1/2

The American (2010) - Quite cliche in the "James Bond's job in reality would be cold and lonely and full of prostitutes" angle it takes. George Clooney makes the idea work well though - a 7.6 on the Ryan Gosling 'beautifully dead eyes' scale. ★1/2

Persona (1967) - Never really seen any of Bergman's work. Impressed. The trajectory of the film, including what happens to the two main characters, goes exactly how you expect, right until the ending. The ending throws up so many questions, yet puts into context so much of what you've seen before (at least so you think anyway). Definitely want to rewatch this. ★

Fallen Angels (1995) - Weird. Very weird. Bounces around indescribably. From what I could grasp, the humour and main character's development is excellently offbeat, but there's seemingly EVERYTHING EVER going on around it. Wikipedia says there are two stories going on but I didn't notice. ★1/2

Night on Earth (1991) - New York segment is amazing. Rome is darkly comic. Los Angeles features an endearing Hollywood-type dynamic. Helskini is sad. And Paris should've been left on the cutting room floor. A star each for the segments that worked.

My Neighbor Totoro (1993) - I think I'm in love. An engaging film devoid of cynicism or on-the-nose plotting. Gorgeous to look at, characters I fell in love with instantly, and a cat that's also a bus. Perfect.

Le Samourai (1967) - An extremely solid French gangster film. The first half in particular is gripping viewing.

Pierrot Le Fou (1965) Jean Luc Godard in "pretentious shite" shocker.

And that's it. For now.

OH! I forgot to rate the films suggested that I have already seen as I won't be watching them again for the purpose of this thread. Ratings only because I want to go to bed before midnight tonight...

Mars Attacks - ★1/2 (ish, haven't seen it in ten years)

The King of Comedy -

Forbidden Planet -

V/H/S - ★1/2

Galaxy Quest - 1/2

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle - (haven't seen that in years either, and likely won't again)

Moon - 1/2

Sunshine - 1/2 (I want to revisit this. I remember being very disappointed by the sudden shift in the middle.)

The Little Mermaid - (Ask 1994 me what I thought. Can't remember.)

And, for the record, I'm not watching High School Musical, Step Up 4 or Piranha 3DD. Unlike Titanic 2, I doubt there's ANY chance of enjoyment, perverse or not. I don't want to fall into the trap of a previous film marathon I did like this a few years ago where my friends suggested I just watch crap like Bratz: The Movie, Camp Rock and Transformers.

My Neighbour Totoro is absolutely magnificent, and about as a perfect a "kids' movie" as I have ever seen. I'm glad you liked it so much.

I would like to nominate Aguirre, The Wrath Of God by Werner Herzog.