Tomb Raider

Benji

Ugh. I mean, I love the show, but Emilia Clarke is kind of my least favorite part of Game of Thrones. A more experienced actress would be nice. I still think Olivia Wilde would be a great fit.

Anything that gives me more Wilde is fine by me.

For me, Rhona Mitra was always the "real life" Lara Croft, even after Angelina Jolie got the film role.

It's almost a shame this reboot didn't come 10 years sooner because I still think Bend It Like Beckham era Keira Knightley would have been unbelievably perfect.

Rhona Mitra would be perfect for and older Lara. Early 20s Lara? Not so much. Needs to be an actually British actress, though, gotta get the accent right.

• 2 weeks later...

My total fave achievment so far was when just the hell of it I shotgunned a crab :P

This was the best achievement in the game. I was just walkign around trying to shoot seagulls to get the kill/loot 10 birds, saw a crab, decided to shoot it, and popped the achievement. It was awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I never thought I would, but I'm absolutely loving this game - been taking it in turns with my girlfriend to play it, with her doing the bulk of the work, and me stepping in to lend a hand with some of the more enemy-heavy bits, as she tends to freak out easily and her aim goes to shit when there's a lot of enemies around.

I'm not normally a big fan of this sort of game, but it's done so well, and it's all just so gruesome. Normally, a phrase like "dark and gritty reboot" would put me right off, but this has been done so perfectly.

Everything about the Solarii is incredible, so well put together, and all the little things you find out about them, or are just left guessing about, are great.

Minor story spoilers;

And I absolutely love how Lara reacts the first time you kill someone. Not enough games put anything like that much emotional weight on the act of taking a life - this game makes it feel like a real watershed moment. You know once you've done it that there's no turning back, and it feels genuinely traumatic. One of my favourite parts of any game I've played in a long, long time.

Contrast that to where I'm up to now, where I've just got the grenade launcher, and Lara runs out screaming "that's right you bastards, run! I'm going to kill every last one of you!" or words to that effect...on one hand, it's real "crowning moment of bad-ass" to use the TV Tropes term, but on the other, it's a moral point of no return. You've gone from the girl at the start who was crying and almost vomiting at having taken a life to just charging in all guns blazing, with no one left alive.

It's a very simplistic story arc by the standards of any other medium, but in video games, it's incredible, and almost without parallel. I love it.

• Like 1

I never thought I would, but I'm absolutely loving this game - been taking it in turns with my girlfriend to play it, with her doing the bulk of the work, and me stepping in to lend a hand with some of the more enemy-heavy bits, as she tends to freak out easily and her aim goes to shit when there's a lot of enemies around.

I'm not normally a big fan of this sort of game, but it's done so well, and it's all just so gruesome. Normally, a phrase like "dark and gritty reboot" would put me right off, but this has been done so perfectly.

Everything about the Solarii is incredible, so well put together, and all the little things you find out about them, or are just left guessing about, are great.

Minor story spoilers;

And I absolutely love how Lara reacts the first time you kill someone. Not enough games put anything like that much emotional weight on the act of taking a life - this game makes it feel like a real watershed moment. You know once you've done it that there's no turning back, and it feels genuinely traumatic. One of my favourite parts of any game I've played in a long, long time.

Contrast that to where I'm up to now, where I've just got the grenade launcher, and Lara runs out screaming "that's right you bastards, run! I'm going to kill every last one of you!" or words to that effect...on one hand, it's real "crowning moment of bad-ass" to use the TV Tropes term, but on the other, it's a moral point of no return. You've gone from the girl at the start who was crying and almost vomiting at having taken a life to just charging in all guns blazing, with no one left alive.

It's a very simplistic story arc by the standards of any other medium, but in video games, it's incredible, and almost without parallel. I love it.

In regards to the spoiler'd section there:

Yeeeeeeah... I was feeling the same kind of way at the start. But by that point in the game, think of everything that she's been through. She's lucky to be alive (because lets face it, as good as she ends up being - there are a number of moments of dumb luck vs. skill), knows exactly what she's up against now and is facing the death of everything that she came to the island with. I think it's a decently crafted reaction.

Oh and "RUN! SHE'S GOT A GRENADE LAUNCHER" was so worth hearing as well.

Oh, absolutely - I'm not saying it as a negative at all, just that it's that moment when the change in her becomes so apparent. It's a development you just don't see in video games where ordinarily, even if you're an absolute nobody civilian, you think nothing of shooting a guy in the head within minutes of seeing him. In this game, seeing what leads you to that point is a really nice touch.

Part of the reason that I've gone off games like Call of Duty is that I really appreciate when games make such a huge act as killing seem like the big thing it is.

Tomb Raider manages it, Dishonored manages it excellently (you're clearly the toughest and best killing machine in the game but its better and more skilful not to kill, especially the henchmen and the more innocent soldiers and bystanders), same as Metal Gear Solid and Hitman really.

Games where you're supposed to take the moral high ground should offer this approach really. If you're playing a soldier in a war zone then fair enough. But if you're supposed to be a champion of heroism then there should be weight to your killing.

Part of the reason that I've gone off games like Call of Duty is that I really appreciate when games make such a huge act as killing seem like the big thing it is.

Tomb Raider manages it, Dishonored manages it excellently (you're clearly the toughest and best killing machine in the game but its better and more skilful not to kill, especially the henchmen and the more innocent soldiers and bystanders), same as Metal Gear Solid and Hitman really.

Games where you're supposed to take the moral high ground should offer this approach really. If you're playing a soldier in a war zone then fair enough. But if you're supposed to be a champion of heroism then there should be weight to your killing.

The moral high ground thing reminds me of Mass Effect 2 when I scolded the humans for looting Alien apartments and then stole all the money out of their wallsafe. :P

I ALWAYS get that feeling when I play games and I'm always weighing the positives of grabbing stuff versus whether or not the game will notice that I did.

I remember the opening few hours of Knights Of The Old Republic and the apartment that you break into - at the point that you do, you don't really realize that there are consequences to doing so. But at one point (and remember, you're basically in the slums) you open a door and it's a family that begs you to not kill them - just take anything in the room. I mean, you can walk in and grab stuff and the game doesn't even punish you in the bad/good meter (I believe, don't quote me on that though) but I still feel like a right shit hole for even opening the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Beat the game, now I'm going through and gathering up all the collectibles. There are a handful of missable trophies so this isn't gonna wind up being a game I devote some extra time to in order to clean up everything for a platinum; though, the playthrough is rather short so I guess I could do it in a day or two if I really wanted. I really enjoyed the development of Lara from innocent girl to survivor. The game itself was good, repetitive at some points--how many times do I need to make a zipline? I found the tombs to be pretty disappointing, with the exception of 2 that felt like actual side dungeons. Most of them were one easy puzzle and that was that. There is a lot to build on and this reboot was exactly what this franchise needed, I'm sure the next TR game (2015?) will be like Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Lara spoilers

If anyone has taken a look at the character models you unlock there are 3 separate Lara Croft's. Innocent Lara, Lara Croft, and Survivor Lara. There are clear differences in her look. By the end she is obviously much more banged up, but she is also much more hardened and you can tell that by her the way her lips and eyes look compared with Innocent Lara. Great touch.

Also, a kind of humorous spoiler.

Where the fuck do the Solarii acquire enough wax candles all the same color and size? Did the world's largest candle shipment crash at Yamatai once upon a time? The game explains itself pretty well as to how people and things get to the island, but the candles just amused me as something that don't work in spite of the explanation.