The Great Pokémon Challenge (Playthrough Game!)

Katsuya

Alright got a bit further last night than I intended, turned on today after completing the Rock Tunnel and catching my first non-Charmander pokemon, Vulpix! After a bit of trainer battling and grinding, here's what I'm looking at heading into Celadon City to take on Team Rocket and Erika.

Charizard - Level 41 - Mega Punch, Flamethrower, Wing Attack, Steel Claw
Vulpix - Level 24 - Confuse Ray, Will O Wisp, Ember, Quick Attack

The basic strategy for the moment is Vulpix leading off so she's getting some experience regardless because I really need her level up quickly. If she can take the opponent with her annoyance technique (Confuse, Burn), she does. Otherwise, swap out with Big Brother Charizard and all is well. My Charizard is an absolute beast, only fainting once his entire life, due to poisoning on the way to Mt. Moon. It is really nice to finally have a second pokemon for varity though.

I'm happy to start another one when I've got 16 badges here.

For the time being I'm working on my Electric team and now have a full team of 6 following my travels in Kanto. I've only done two gyms so far, Sabrina (Ampharos Thunderpunch blitz) and Lt. Surge (Magneton and Electrode).

The two additions as you'd expect are Electabuzz and Pikachu, I'm never likely to get a Thunderstone so Pikachu will probably never evolve. I've gone through the Elite Four a few more times with an Exp Share on both Electabuzz and Pikachu. Here's the team:

Ampharos - Level 54

Lanturn - Level 53

Electrode - Level 51

Magneton - Level 50

Electabuzz - Level 34

Pikachu - Level 34

Got through Whitney easy enough, didn't even have to use Graveler.

Picked up Sudowoodo, and closed the emulator down for the night since I can't get a Corsola until daytime, and I'm banking up as many trainers as I can to level my team up.

Heading on to the SS Anne, had a hell of time with Misti. My team currently is as follows, working on a couple evolutions to get 2 of my team members within flying type parameters.
Zubat Lv 9
Magikarp Lv 13
Farfetch'd Lv 13
Pidgey Lv 18
Butterfree Lv 20
Charmeleon Lv 24
Edited by Steel City Saint

Progressed Rhodes the Dustox to Level 18 and Bat Posse the Zubat to Level 11. Btw Zubat sucks even more than usual in RSE, as it only has one offensive move until Level 11. Catching them at L7: Not fun. I'm glad i'm on emulator and am employing heavy use of the turbo button or this grind would just be...grah. Too much. (Turbo: also amazing for Mr. Briney's ship :D)

Screw turbo buttons. The emulator I'm using ratches up to 350-400% speed just by virtue of turning the sound off (which I was going to do anyway, for the sake of watching TV etc.). Cha-ching.

Not much to report from last night (and tonight I'm out until late). Did a bit of levelling up in Diglett Tunnel and went to collect the Flash HM. To be honest I've no more evolutions to come from my current team and no new candidates until I either reach the Safari Zone or whichever road it is off to the east that has Venonats...so I'm unlikely to have interesting updates for a while. ;)

Most of the gyms will probably be okay too up until the poison one, but by that point hopefully I can get my hands on a Venomoth to help out. It's the fire gym that will be the real bitch.

So I was grinding to face the Elite Four... and I remember now why Emerald's my least favorite game in the series. Moreso than any other Pokemon game, Emerald's battles seems like they run on a checklist. If I'd taken a shot for every time I was confused - in both grind battles and actual fights against the Elite Four - I'd be dead right now from alcohol poisoning. If I had a nickel for every time a confusion I caused lasted past the turn after I caused it, I'd still be as dirt-poor as I am now.

I mean, there is a good side, in that I was able to make it to the final Pokemon of the final member of the Elite Four... but I've got absolutely no desire left to play Emerald today.

So now I have Dusty at like..level 19, but Bat Posse is up to Level 17ish and has Bite and now actually some offense to speak of. I've made a third addition to my team, a Gulpin named Not A Muk that for some reason has some confidence issues :shifty: (Not the least of which is because i've just realized that i'm going to only keep one of Swalot and Crobat and that this probably doesn't end well for Swalot/Gulpin)

Might need to go nab a Roselia soon, as I have a noticeable steel weakness right now and I need to stump up at least neutral damage.

I'm stopped today at Lavender town it's been a breeze so far.

TEAM

Primeape - lv 38

Machop - lv 18

Hopefully tomorrow I will get Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan (trade with emulator just copy the save and trade the pokemon :) )

Breed them and get Hitmontop too!

Now that it's learned Psybeam and Gust, my best Butterfree is mowing down all who face him LIKE A BOSS. Took down both Erika's grass gym and the Fighting Dojo almost single-handedly. About to head into the Rocket Hideout where, due to a preponderance of Poison pokemon, he'll likely lay waste again.

So irritating that the best moves have a poxy 5 PP. Not that I've got any yet, but was considering what I wanted their 'final' movesets to eventually be. Difficult.

Got five badges and just chased Team Rocket out of Silph, so about to go after Sabrina. Will no doubt use "Leech Life" and "Twin Needle" a hundred times each.

Didn't really have any luck finding a Scyther in the Safari Zone (if indeed they're in there), so may just spend my time gambling until I can afford to buy one at the Game Corner.

Current team is very nearly back to level terms but my remaining Beedrill is lagging behind a bit...

Venomoth Lv 40

Parasect Lv 40

Parasect Lv 40

Butterfree Lv 40

Butterfree Lv 40

Beedrill Lv 33

Just defeated Blue for my 16th badge, so that's Johto and Kanto completed. I would go for Mt. Silver but that's going to take up way too much time level grinding to have a chance against Red.

Final Electric Team

Ampharos - L59

Lanturn - L57

Magneton - L55

Electrode - L55

Pikachu - L54

Electabuzz - L54

Hook me up with another type and I'll start again.

Caught myself a Gible and a Gligar and did some grinding before defeating 3rd gym, had unbeliveable luck againt Fantina getting so many crit hits.

Ground team now two thirds complete.

Grotle lvl 30

Gastrodon lvl 30

Gabite lvl 26

Gilgar lvl 24

Just realised all my pokemon begin with G.