The Oscars 2014 Thread

There is the possibility that, like Amour, Blue will be nominated in non-foreign-language categories, which are not affected by the September deadline.

So, I went and found out. Yeah, the fact that neither of the girls were nominated for acting awards is awful. I know The Oscar's has never been good with being all that fair to foreign film, but they're really deserving, especially over at least half of the names listed.

Has a documentary ever been up for best film? I wanna say it hasn't, but that should've changed this year too. But I think I keep mistaking the Oscars for something they're never gonna be. :P

I think they probably want to prevent another travesty like Roberto Benigini beating out Tom Hanks

Has a documentary ever been up for best film? I wanna say it hasn't, but that should've changed this year too. But I think I keep mistaking the Oscars for something they're never gonna be. :P

I wouldn't say never. Eventually, all these crotchety Academy people will be replaced and then we'll have a whole new disaster on our hands.

A documentary has never been up for best film.

I google searched it a while back and apparently there is a belief that a documentary could not be nominated for best picture.

Man, I tend to try to make a point of seeing all the major films up for awards but I'm still yet to see American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Dallas Buyers Club, Gravity, Nebraska, Philomena, 12 Years a Slave. Keep hearing differing opinions about American Hustle, really want to see Nebraska though, and 12 Years a Slave, because Steve McQueen is great.

As an aside, really enjoying what Matthew McConaughey has been doing in the last few years. McConaissance (H)

Edited by Arjen Robben

I will have seen eight of the nine Best Picture nominees in theatres (Philomena tomorrow, Dallas Buyer's Club next week, unclear if I will see Nebraska) and so far one is unlike the others. Gravity looks amazing, but holy man, I can't understand why everyone loves it. I've reviewed 31 films in the last two months, and I've enjoyed 26-27 of them, and I can say Gravity is near the bottom half of my list. It was boring for a lot of it.

My ranking:
Her
12 Years
American Hustle
Captain Phillips

Philomena

Wolf of Wall Street
Gravity

EDIT: Added Philomena.

Edited by Carparama

I have to say that Jonah Hill and Amy Adams shouldn't be nominated......Jonah Hill felt like he was on screen 18 minutes in a 3 hour movie.......Amy Adams should be up in Best Supporting not Best Actress....Amy just wasn't onscreen enough to justify Best Actress...

Also, I think Jeremy Renner in American Hustle deserves more recognition...I know you couldn't have Cooper and Renner in the Best Supporting category, and Cooper deserves his nomination, but Renner was fantastic in his role.

Edited by million$$man

Honestly, I hope Julia Roberts or Lupita Nyong'o win Best Supporting Actress, but I wouldn't say no to Jennifer Lawrence winning. I want Abdi to win Best Supporting Actor even though I haven't seen Captain Phillips, because his story is cool and no one else on that list did an amazing job.

Part of me feels like Scarlett Johansson deserves slightly more recognition, awards wise, for her work in Her. Such a good film and a lot of hinges on how believable you can find the relationship between her and Theo and I thought it came off really naturalistically, to the point you almost forget that she's not even really there and I can't imagine that's an easy thing to do.

I really enjoyed Captain Phillips. Thriller the whole way. Lots of fun.

As for "Her", I'm in the boat that Phoenix and Scarlett should have received more love.

Would ScarJo even be eligible to be nominated since she didn't even appear on screen? I remember about 10 years ago Peter Jackson made a big push for Andy Serkis to get nominated for Return of the King and he was deemed ineligible because his performance was mostly motion capture.

Not to mention, she wasn't even the original choice. The original voice was a British actress named Samantha Morton and she was on set most of the time and that is what Joaquin Phoenix's performance was based on.