Out Of The Park Baseball 15

HeyThereVelvet

I always found OOTP to be a bit too complicated...I prefer Baseball Mogul. I've had the same game running since 2012 and, in game, I'm in 2017

I always found OOTP to be a bit too complicated...I prefer Baseball Mogul. I've had the same game running since 2012 and, in game, I'm in 2017

Baseball Mogul is a fun albeit flawed game. And I can totally understand why people play that over OOTP due to it being a lot more pick up and play.

On the other hand, someone like me who at times feels that FM14 isn't detailed enough relishes at the prospect of playing a game like OOTP... Although the game is crazy detailed even by FM14 standards.

I may bite the bullet on this one down the line, as $40 seems steep right now. In OotP '14, I managed to take the Braves and Cubs to a title within five years of one another.

Pro tip: if you're a cheap bastard like me, wait until the All-Star Break for the first potential sale, then the World Series for what's usually a 50% off sale.

• Like 2

I may bite the bullet on this one down the line, as $40 seems steep right now. In OotP '14, I managed to take the Braves and Cubs to a title within five years of one another.

Pro tip: if you're a cheap bastard like me, wait until the All-Star Break for the first potential sale, then the World Series for what's usually a 50% off sale.

And/or go splitsies with a friend as the license allows for it to be installed on two computers.

• Like 1

So I picked this game up and I have enabled ''GM Mode'' where the AI does the lineups/games and stuff and I just sit back and work the rest of the club.

I foolishly took the Astros, so i'm going to suffer hard.

As i'm slowly getting to grips with the game, I'm wondering. Are there disadvantages to retraining players to certain positions?

Like I got Carlos Correa who is the future star of the team sitting in A-Ball slowly becoming the baseball god he hopefully will soon become. His ''problem'' is that he is a Short-Stop, whilst SS's are awesome I already have Villar at Short who is also going to stick around for the future.

So i'm thinking that whilst Correa is stuck in A-Ball, I can just as easily start giving him positional training so that when he gets the call up he can slot into another position rounding out my lineup out better.

Soo, if I start forcing Correa to play 1st base, will it somehow hurt his development and/or lower the potential of his other skills? Because if not i'm just going to accept the errors and train him to become a tool.

• Like 2

Decided to buy the game. [ b]Don't even know where to start.

By turning it in and getting The Show! :P

But seriously, how is it so far?

It's decent, definitely will steal your entire day from you if you aren't paying attention. There a lot of new facets to the game that weren't there in the older version I had(OOTP 8? I think). I'm playing with the Twins right now and am currently marred in mediocrity about a month through the season. That's to be expected with the Twins, though.

And Jason, get off GM mode! Managing the games is half the fun. :P

• Like 1

Man, I hardly know what i´m doing right now. I think if I start managing that I will be even more confused.

And is it possible to force the AI to keep pitchers in who are 1 inning away from a shutout? Just had Dallas Keuchel throw a 1-hitter and in the final inning he got replaced and stopping a potential shutout.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

Changing the subject, I see the ripping off the AI via trade is still way too easy, so I upped the difficulty to hard and 'favor prospects' to get a more realistic trade experience. Still, even on 'Very Hard' I got Chris Defornia and some cash from the Padres for 2 scrap heap minor league dudes, which felt iffy. Then again, I'm taking a $1 mil. plus salary hit as well, so maybe it wasn't that unrealistic and AI just wanted to clear $$$. Also, when did they get rid of the manager's trade advice? I miss that feature.

• Like 1

So I picked this game up and I have enabled ''GM Mode'' where the AI does the lineups/games and stuff and I just sit back and work the rest of the club.

As i'm slowly getting to grips with the game, I'm wondering. Are there disadvantages to retraining players to certain positions?

Like I got Carlos Correa who is the future star of the team sitting in A-Ball slowly becoming the baseball god he hopefully will soon become. His ''problem'' is that he is a Short-Stop, whilst SS's are awesome I already have Villar at Short who is also going to stick around for the future.

So i'm thinking that whilst Correa is stuck in A-Ball, I can just as easily start giving him positional training so that when he gets the call up he can slot into another position rounding out my lineup out better.

Soo, if I start forcing Correa to play 1st base, will it somehow hurt his development and/or lower the potential of his other skills? Because if not i'm just going to accept the errors and train him to become a tool.

Seeing as though he's in Single A, I think you could get away with it, though you run the risk of him being okay at two spots as opposed to excellent in one. Not to mention, Villar will be more expensive by the time homeboy will realistically be called up. Could always use Villar as trade bait if things work out.

Changing the subject, I see the ripping off the AI via trade is still way too easy, so I upped the difficulty to hard and 'favor prospects' to get a more realistic trade experience. Still, even on 'Very Hard' I got Chris Defornia and some cash from the Padres for 2 scrap heap minor league dudes, which felt iffy. Then again, I'm taking a $1 mil. plus salary hit as well, so maybe it wasn't that unrealistic and AI just wanted to clear $$$. Also, when did they get rid of the manager's trade advice? I miss that feature.

What is your scouting set to? If you're using anything but 100% accurate, don't be surprised if your scouts think they're crap only for them to turn around and be 3.5/4-star guys for whoever they wind up with.

Though, by Manager Trade Advice, do you mean the "Make This Trade Work Now" button? That feature saved me sooooo much time in '14.

• Like 1

Soo, any general suggestions for contract negotiations and the like?

I think I did pretty good to extend Villar's contract to a 4+1 year 3.2M a year contract.

I generally look around to see what the contracts of comparable guys look like. I try to offer deals comparable to guys who are 1/2 to 1 star lower overall and try to pay no more than what guys half a star better are getting.

I seem to remember a report you can access at the Trade Players screen that ranks every starter for every team at each position. That came in handy when comparing contracts.

Oh, and if someone wants a no-trade or is about to be a 10/5 guy, I trade them off as soon as I get a decent offer. Too many times I've been burned by players who forget how to baseball the moment they become tenured.

• Like 1

Seeing as though he's in Single A, I think you could get away with it, though you run the risk of him being okay at two spots as opposed to excellent in one. Not to mention, Villar will be more expensive by the time homeboy will realistically be called up. Could always use Villar as trade bait if things work out.

What is your scouting set to? If you're using anything but 100% accurate, don't be surprised if your scouts think they're crap only for them to turn around and be 3.5/4-star guys for whoever they wind up with.

Though, by Manager Trade Advice, do you mean the "Make This Trade Work Now" button? That feature saved me sooooo much time in '14.

Yeah, but the Padres were willing to take ANYTHING to get rid of him. I went through a bunch of random no-names and they were all fine. I even had them set to pay the difference on his contract and it was fine. I didn't want to totally rob the AI or anything so, to make a little more realistic I just had them pay about a quarter of his deal and gave them one pretty decent minor league guy and one scrap heap guy.

It's weird because the hard/favor prospects setting actually does pretty well in regards to making trades challenging. It's just like they really wanted to move this one guy.

And the "Make this trade work now" feature is still there. I was talking about how your team manager would often comment on the quality of a trade while you were making it.

• Like 1

I totally didn't realise I had 1st pick of the draft, and I sure got myself an awesome pitcher who hopefully becomes the cornerstone of a potential Astros franchise (lol).

f7b1d6ada4378ba1ebf07fc5ac8e4e70.png

Amazing all round potential, scout told me that he's a potential Cy Young award kind of prospect, so I forked over the 7,5M bonus he demanded. Would have been foolish not to.

With my current bullpen and this kid's talent, he has a good chance of being fast-tracked to the majors.

Edit:

Without there being a lot of great batters in the draft I also picked up this future relief pitcher.

7a04a51f279cc0877c5dd7e93f6a8bcc.png

With his lacking stamina I am probably going to make him a closer, and he has some nice movement and some decent pitches. Shit control so that's a negative... but you can't get everything.

After that I got a 1B in the 3rd round who is hit and miss and I doubt he is going to become a major league staple, but he got good work ethic so maybe he can surprise me.

Edited by Jasonmufc