What are your favourite films? Ten optional.

Forget doing some kind of big EWB Top 100 list. There are just too many films to count through.

So instead let's make this a big free for all pub conversation with no real end decision made other than a bloody good time was had by all and we really should do it again some time.

I would say that my favourite film of all time is Robert Altman's Gosford Park. It'a a masterpiece with so many layers and subtleties within the different conversations going on that even after watching it numerous times I find new things each viewing. It's also quite sad as the last car drives away from the stately home at the end leaving it all but empty with the guests gone. It's a such a rich experience.

Otherwise, what, in my younger years, used to be a definite top 10, has become muddied by there being so many great films that I've been able to see.

So....my favourite romantic films are Amelie and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

My favourite pre-80s films are Seven Samurai, Alien, Apocalypse Now, 2001 Space Odyssey and Ran.

My favourite British films are Snatch, Layer Cake and Trainspotting.

My favourite sci-fi are Sunshine, Moon and (shut up) Prometheus and the remake of Solaris.

My favourite comedies are Big Lebowski, Fargo and Airplane.

My favourite actiony/drama films are The Thin Blue Line, The Proposition, Zatoichi, Battle Royale, Kingdom of Heaven (directors cut only), Book of Eli and Oldboy.

My favourite relaxation films are A Knight's Tale, the Carry On series, Transporter 2, Crank and Fight Club.

Some Like It Hot - Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon are a brilliant combination in any situation but this one probably wins out for me. The fact that the AFI considers it the best American comedy of all time speaks for itself.

Die Hard - It's simple and formulaic but it works. The second one was nowhere near as good, the third one came close thanks to Jeremy Iron, the fourth was was a bit naff, and I haven't even seen the fifth one. However, the performances of Willis and Rickman in the original are just perfect, my favourite performance by each of them.

Trainspotting - I like most of Ewan McGregor's films but this one and Shallow Grave stand out for me. Not only does he provide a stellar performance in both, the rest of each main cast match it, making both films great. It's a close call between the two but I think Trainspotting edges the victory because its surprisingly slightly less surreal.

The Three Musketeers - Although I like all of the film incarnations of it (even the one with flying ships), the 1970s version with Michael York, Oliver Reed, and Charlton Heston is far and away the best. The story stays closer to the original story, which I'm currently reading, than either of the more modern versions, and also manages to inject its own unique spin on it through the comedy used across the trilogy.

I'll pick out ten per request, in no particular order.

Raising Arizona is probably the film I'd pick if I was told I could only watch one film for the rest of my life. Just a deeply satisfying and very funny movie with tons of Holly Hunter, who's high on my list of favorite actors.

Misery is basically as perfect an adaptation of an amazing book as you can get, and it's intense and terrifying for exactly the reason that 99% of modern horror movies aren't. It does so much with so little thanks in large part to the two principles.

This is Spinal Tap is probably the funniest movie I've ever seen. It's also probably the movie I quote more than any other. "You can't really... dust for vomit."

Terminator 2 is probably my favorite action movie, mostly because it is just so damned relentless in a way that most action movies aren't. It's not the big explosions that make it that way; it's that basically everything that happens is driven by pure dread. Young John Connor is also one of the most unintentionally hilarious film characters ever.

The Princess Bride, because of course it is.

Big Fish is my sleeper film--it's a fun premise executed very well (not perfectly, but very well). Some people might not like it because it's big-time cheesy and quirky in that uniquely Tim Burton way that I'd find grating in a lot of other films. It's also ridiculously maudlin. Like, if you look up maudlin in the dictionary the dictionary is somehow running video of this movie. But I feel like it earns it. This is one of the few Burton films that I've been able to totally adore into my thirties, and the other one is...

...Ed Wood. A great send-up to a terrible filmmaker. I love how it plays up Wood's earnestness without feeling condescending. A great turn by Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi as well.

The Coen Brothers' remake of True Grit deserves a spot on here as well. For a Coen Brothers flick, it's not particularly ambitious or out there, but it's just perfectly made and perfectly acted by pretty much everyone involved. It's also the rare remake that beats out the original film in my view.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is probably my favorite action/adventure type film. It's almost certainly not as good as Raiders, but I like it better, mostly thanks to Sean Connery and Harrison Ford and their chemistry. Among films that I quote all the time, it's probably second.

I put The Shawshank Redemption here originally, but I'd rather send up my favorite animated film, which is Mulan. The caricatures can get a little dicey (here's to you, Big-Toothed Scribe Guy!), but I love it when I can point to a Disney movie and say "this is a really layered film with a very smart sense of irony." "I'll Make a Man Out of You," guys.

• Like 1

This is Spinal Tap is probably the funniest movie I've ever seen. It's also probably the movie I quote more than any other. "You can't really... dust for vomit."

Big Fish is my sleeper film--it's a fun premise executed very well (not perfectly, but very well). Some people might not like it because it's big-time cheesy and quirky in that uniquely Tim Burton way that I'd find grating in a lot of other films. It's also ridiculously maudlin. Like, if you look up maudlin in the dictionary the dictionary is somehow running video of this movie. But I feel like it earns it. This is one of the few Burton films that I've been able to totally adore into my thirties, and the other one is...

'There's a fine line between stupid and clever'

Sousa has picked two of my favourite films in This is Spinal Tap and Big Fish. I adored Big Fish when I went and saw it at the cinema. I've seen it several times since and still enjoyed it, although it has been a small while since I've dusted it off.

As for others, I've always stated that there are your favourite 'one watch' films, which don't always match up with your 'multiple watch' films. I also feel that 'multiple watch' films tend (for me, at least) to go down in quality, as they tend to be easy to watch rather than great works of film.

Cinema Paradiso is my favourite film of all time, but probably fits primarily in the 'one watch' category, as it isn't one you'll be whipping out time after time. Beautiful film, beautifully shot.

Starship Troopers, I haven't seen for years, but it was always a film I would watch if I saw it was on. Not sure how it has aged, but for pure enjoyment over the years, has to get a look in.

Spirited Away is just a beautiful animation, with a great story and memorable characters all round. I prefer this (I think) to My Neighbour Totoro, which would have been my other Ghibli shout, probably because I saw Spirited Away first, so it was my first immersion in that type of animation.

Gladiator is brilliant. It's hard to beat the 'I will have my vengeance' speech in terms of cinematic moments for me. Incredibly powerful.

I would have to swing for Toy Story in terms of animated films. Up, at least upon first viewing, was competitive, but nothing replaces the first time I sat down and saw a computer animated film. I was truly blown away.

Rocky 3. Rocky is better, of course, but anyone who dislikes Rocky 3 is the Ultimate Meatball.

Predator - cheesy dialogue, check. Men with uber muscles, check. Big guns, check. Flourescent and non-flourescent gore, check. A film I will watch every couple of years, I'm sure.

Jerry Maguire - my fiance didn't really enjoy this when I showed it to her, but again, there are so many moments that I just enjoy. It was also before everyone realised Cruise was crazy, so there's that.

In true Spinal Tap form, turn it up to 11 and throw in Wayne's World. Haven't watched it in years, but used to be able to quote it pretty much verbatim.

"We're looking down on Wayne's basement. Only that's not Wayne's basement. Isn't that weird?"

"Yeah, that's weird, man, that's weird. Garth! That was a haiku!"

• Like 1

My top ten, in no particular order:

Die Hard - The ultimate man film. John McClane is an awesome character.

The Usual Suspects - I didn't see the twist coming

Heat - Beautifully shot, great acting, great story and that robbery

Pulp Fiction - The coolest film I've ever seen

Fight Club - The second coolest film I've ever seen

The Shawshank Redemption - I saw this recently for the first time

Glengarry Glen Ross - Simple and brilliant

Batman Begins - The film that made my favourite superhero a serious thing after the dreadful Batman & Robin

GoodFellas - Great story, great actors, great soundtrack.

Jackie Brown - The most underrated Tarantino film of all

Honourable mentions: Raging Bull, Rocky IV, Reservoir Dogs, Escape From New York, Mrs. Doubtfire, Batman 1989, Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford.

The Crow (First one and forth ones), Bloodsport, Beetlejuice,Ready To Rumble and The Breakfast Club.

I love that movie to death. It's funny and it's wrestling. That's all it needs.

• Like 1

Ready to Rumble is great. I spent so much time watching that VHS as a kid. I'd probably put it on this list.

Anyway, here's my top 10 in no real order, although the first 3 probably rank highest for me. Not all of these are critically acclaimed, but I have a special attachment to all of them and have watched them all to death.

Back to the Future - You could probably throw this whole trilogy on here for me, but I love the original most obviously. I've watched this movie more times than any other film except for maybe Toy Story and Space Jam(I actually broke the Space Jam VHS as a kid) but BTTF has actually gotten better as I've grown up. Plus, Marty McFly is like the coolest dude ever.

Catch Me if You Can - Such a fantastic and underrated thrill of a movie. Spielberg, DiCaprio, Hanks, and Walken, need I say more? As critically acclaimed as it was, it unfortunately doesn't get talked about much anymore and whenever I bring up most don't know it or haven't seen it as much as I have. I vaguely remember seeing it with my parents in theaters on Christmas, and it's a movie I watch every holiday season and honestly never gets old.

Zodiac - I watched Zodiac for the first time last year, and I've watched it two more times since then. Fucking awesome movie that really draws you into the case and the mind of Graysmith's character as he gets deeper and deeper into his investigation.

Forrest Gump - Yeah, everyone has seen Forrest Gump. Not the best movie in the world, but I've seen it so many times I can't help but love it.

Toy Story - It's Toy Story guys. I spent an uncomfortable amount of time watching this film when I was younger, and unlike Space Jam, it's still good watching it years later.

Billy Madison - As much as I despise current-day Adam Sandler and his complete lack of desire to make anything that isn't total shit, Billy Madison is a great comedy. I enjoyed it a lot more when I was ten, but it still has a place with me.

Spider-Man - I'll be the first one to admit that Spider-Man 2 was a better movie, but I'll always love the first Spidey. I remember being so freaking excited to see this movie in theaters and god I loved it. Yeah, it hasn't aged well. Yeah, something something Kristen Dunst sucks. Yeah, something something Goblin's costume. Whatever. I will always love this movie and Willem Dafoe as GG.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - Here's the thing. I enjoy a good horror film, but unfortunately 95% of the genre is garbage. A Nightmare on Elm Street is arguably the most well-made horror movie ever. It's not just a fantastic horror film, it's a fantastic film period. Scream would probably be second on my list, but it hasn't held up for me like this one has.

Dazed and Confused - Dazed and Confused isn't even a movie so much as it as a portrait of a time period. There's no plot other than watching a bunch of 70s teenagers get stoned, but I'll be damned if it isn't mesmerizing as shit. I could watch this movie a hundred times.

I'll go ahead and put Ready to Rumble here as well.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head (I can only guarantee I'd say the first five again if you asked me tomorrow...):

Almost Famous, Dazed and Confused, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, American Beauty, The Princess Bride, Battle Royale, The Shawshank Redemption, The Departed and Do The Right Thing.

Favourite action films are probably Die Hard, Terminator 2 and Commando. Man, Commando is fucking awesome.

It's hard to make a list with favorite films but on the top of my head.

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, I fucking love Jack and this is his finest piece of work.

The Blues Brothers, best music/comedy out there today.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day, EPIC.

The Great Escape, this is the shortest 3 hour movie there is basicly.

Police Story, Jackie Chan remains my favorite action star.

The Sting, Redford and Newman, HELL YEAH!

North by Northwest, one of my favorite Hitchcock films. Could list almost any film he made.

City Lights, my first Chaplin film still remains a lovely memory.

The Bride of Frankenstein, my favorite Universal Monster film.

The Avengers, still one epic superhero rollercoaster ride.

Ready To Rumble

o_O

Dude, I'm the biggest WCW apologist in history but even I can't defend Ready to Rumble.

I'm the second biggest WCW apologist, and same. That film, while I admit 'liking' it from a nostalgia standpoint, is pretty insulting to wrestling fans. Us wrestling fans stick our fingers up our arse whenever we're not cleaning up sewage, don't you know?

I don't want to go into too much detail as I'm writing articles for most of these films in the near future. But, without seriously ranking them, I'd say my top ten (in alphabetical order) are:

BRAZIL - Sharp satire; massive influence on my writing.

BLUE VELVET - Just thinking about the darkness and emotion, and 'Mysteries of Love', makes me want to watch it again.

DONNIE DARKO - See above, except 'Mad World'.

JAWS - The ultimate blockbuster happened to be the first one.

NETWORK - Genius script that gets metaphysical; almost a stark warning of what the media would become.

PULP FICTION - To me, still the coolest and most quotable film ever.

SHAUN OF THE DEAD - Believe it or not, given what's right below on the list, I've seen this the most times out of any film. Best comedy ever, bar none.

THE TRUMAN SHOW - Duh.

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME - Arguably the most evil film ever made. Still scares the shit out of me after 5+ viewings. A masterpiece that destroys what you knew about the TV series, turning it into a nightmare.

THE 400 BLOWS - Everything I love about French New Wave in one film. Rebellious and anti-establishment without the Jean Luc Godard smugness. The main character is extremely identifable.

Would really struggle to narrow it down to ten. So here's 15. :P

• The Apartment
  • Mulholland Drive
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Le Samourai
  • Secrets & Lies
  • The Wind That Shakes The Barley
  • The Dark Knight
  • Punch Drunk Love
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • The Avengers
  • Some Like It Hot