EWB Film Club

Jimmy

How are we going to do this?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How are we going to do this?

• We take it on turns to nominate five films, then we vote on which one we'll watch.
    • A film a decade from 1910-2010
    • A-Z film
    • A different genre every week.
    • Take in turns to nominate a director, or actor, and everyone has to watch one film of theirs.
    • 10 films from 10 different countries.
    • Other

Just watched Dial M For Murder, another of Hitchcock's films which is critically appraised. I liked it a lot, but I just wasn't in the best mood for it. It's similar to rope in a few ways. The script is tight and the acting is pretty good, and it's the perfect kind of mystery/thriller hybrid that Hitchcock seems to love. It wasn't my favourite, but if it's your kind of thing, and you're in the right mood for it, I think you'd love it. Grace Kelly isn't the best in it, though. That being said, Hitchcock hasn't always had the best record for writing good female parts.

Ooh, that's an interesting one. Really not Scott's biggest fan, but there's a few of his smaller films that I could definitely watch. If I had the time and effort, I'd make Hammy happy and watch Kingdom of Heaven's directors cut, but I think I'll probably settle for either Matchstick Men, Hannibal or Thelma & Louise. But I might take the time to revisit Blade Runner.

Yeah, not a huge Scott fan - anything of his I've fancied (Gladiator, Blade Runner, Alien), I've watched (loved Gladiator and Alien, not so keen on Blade Runner), and none of his other stuff has really taken my fancy.

Any suggestions of MUST SEE Scott? If not, I'll probably just commit to Prometheus, even though I've heard its a bit meh.

I built it up in my head. Gladiator and Alien are much better films (which is supported somewhat by the IMDB ratings - surprised me a little, as I assumed Blade Runner might have a better score than at least one of those films.)

Outside of Blade Runner, Alien is amazing. Gladiator is pretty good. Thelma and Louise is pretty fun, if a bit dated. And American Gangster is alright, a lot of people liked it.

Everything else though? Maybe just give them a miss. >_>