EWB Film Club

Jimmy

How are we going to do this?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How are we going to do this?

• We take it on turns to nominate five films, then we vote on which one we'll watch.
    • A film a decade from 1910-2010
    • A-Z film
    • A different genre every week.
    • Take in turns to nominate a director, or actor, and everyone has to watch one film of theirs.
    • 10 films from 10 different countries.
    • Other

Srar, watch It's A Wonderful Life, there's probably not a nicer movie character anywhere else.

My favourite film of all the times!

Seriously, if that film doesn't make you feel something then you've probably no soul.

Oh, another good JS film - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Also, anyone joining late can double up with Hitchcock with Rope, Vertigo, The Man Who Knew Too Much or Rear Window ofc :-)

• Like 1

So many good James Stewart films. If you guys want to watch a Western, I watched Winchester '73 recently and it was awesome. I'm gonna' watch Anatomy of a Murder and Malaya (seriously, was so excited when I found out about this) and hopefully Harvey or something too.

You can go wrong with him, too, though. Don't watch any film where it won Best Picture, they suck.

So I've done round 3, round 2 will be done later this week.

For Ian McKnellen I've watched the boring and snoozefest called: The Shadow (1994) but I followed it up with the beautiful and with an epic performance from McKnellen and even a great performance by Brendan Fraser (His best film by far): Gods and Monsters (1998). It's about the last stage in the life of James Whale through the eyes of the a fiction character Clayton Boone, played by Fraser. Also Lynn Redgrave is great as Hanna. But the highlight is Ian McKnellen. His performance is amazing. He will grab hold of you and you will be watching till the end.

I truly recommend it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one where he plays James Whale. Probably should have done that given my whole Halloween thing. Oh well. I went with X-Men because I was planning to go back through the earlier ones having seen the latest one recently and having the Sir I.M thing pop up helped kill two birds with one stone. Movie was OK, I got a kick out of how it calls for Anna Paquin to spend pretty much the entire time trembling with fear. Some of the effects were a little goofy, like when Senator Kelly is sticking his head through the bars or the fight scene between Wolverine and Mystique which looks a bit shitty. Rebbecca Romijin's (Or however the fuck you spell it) Mystique looks kinda creepy as well for some reason, never had that vibe watching Jennifer Lawrence's portrayal. I think it's caus there's a few occasions where she bears her teeth and it looks odd. Oh, and Storm's really shitty one liner. "You know what happen's to a toad when it gets struck by lightning? The same thing as everything else." Pffft.

Will probably go with Rear Window here, was intending to do it for Hitchcock week but time got away from me and we moved onto the next thing. But yeah, Srar should watch It's A Wonderful Life. Wonderful, wonderful!

So I watched Malaya, and it was so goddamn boring. The real pull for me for this one was that both Stewart and Lionel Barrymore were in it, but they shared like only 6 minutes of screentime together. Also, Spencer Tracy phoning in his performance really made this a really dull affair.

So, I'm almost caught up. I'm going to watch Blade Runner tonight and I'm done! So, so far I've seen:

Round 1 - Alfred Hitchcock: The Wrong Man (1956) and To Catch a Thief (1955)

Round 2 - Ridley Scott: Black Rain (1988) and soon to be watched Blade Runner

Round 3 - Ian McKnellen: The Shadow (1994) and Gods and Monsters (1998)

Round 4 - James Stewart: Winchester '73 (1950) and The Philadelphia Story (1940)

Winchester '73 is simple in concept but a great Western and The Philadelphia Story is a lovely romantic comedy with Stewart in topform. Black Rain was a little disapointing and a standard 80's cop flick.

I'm with you on Blade Runner Srar! It left me speechless!

Speachlessly boring, amirite? <_<

Gonna' watch Harvey later, it apparently was Stewart's apology award because they didn't give it to him for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, so I'm excited to try and judge it on its own, not that it matters to anyone else :P