EWB Film Club

Jimmy

How are we going to do this?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How are we going to do this?

• We take it on turns to nominate five films, then we vote on which one we'll watch.
    • A film a decade from 1910-2010
    • A-Z film
    • A different genre every week.
    • Take in turns to nominate a director, or actor, and everyone has to watch one film of theirs.
    • 10 films from 10 different countries.
    • Other

My butt is here! The rest of me too.

Sorry was up the cinema watching the new X-Men film. So good.

Purely to cheat and use a film I've just seen, let's have an actor choice. Sir Ian McKellen.

So as I said, watched X-Men: Days of Future Past. Was very good, did a wonderful job of setting up the incoming series reboot. James McAvoy is wonderful, and Hugh Jackman continued to show why he was born to play Wolverine.

• Like 1

Wait! I have a last minute addition for Ridley Scott!

Legend

I really dug alot of the aesthetics of this film. I think I have a thing for snow or something, this takes a turn for the wintery part way through and it just seems to always make things look awesome. The opening is a little hard to get through given how sickly sweet it is with these two pretty bland lovebirds but it's nicely bookended by the introduction of 'The Darkness' and an interesting looking 'execution' scene. Things can get a bit, I don't know what the word is, artsy? Like that 'execution' or when Lili is running through the castle before her 'transformation', there's no dialogue, just a lot of sweeping shots with grand background music.

There's a nice mix of humour in amongst the adventure, everything looks really nice and you have a Tim Curry villain. What's not to like?

So, I watched Matchstick Men and really enjoyed it for the most part. Nic Cage & Sam Rockwell bounce off each so well, and it's a really nice change of pace for Ridley Scott. Wasn't a big fan of the ending, though. Still, wouldn't have watched this if it wasn't for Srar's pick, so thanks for that!

I didn't like the twist. I suspected very early on that Rockwell was playing Cage, but kind of hoped it wasn't going that way. I got really involved in Cage's story with his daughter, and then to see all of that emotion kind of evaporate once this twist is revealed kind of took something aaway for me. I get that Cage's character still grew as a person, and is ultimately happier, but I was much more interested in seeing the film

not turn into one big whole con. Either way, still enjoyed it.

Oh oh! Looks like I watched The Desolation Of Smaug for my Ian MacKellen movie - since I have had it lined up forever but have been waiting on the right time, mood and place to watch this.. and everything lined up in a row for me yesterday where I had the place to myself, a new speaker system and a nice cool breeze.

Why was this important to me? Because hell and damn, The Hobbit is my favorite book from childhood and I'll be damned if it's going to get all messed up. I heard some things about changes here and there from a few sources, so I waited a bit... but I actually quite enjoyed what was changed. It makes the feeling of the movie far more epic.. the only thing I would've wanted to see kept the same was Mirkwood.. not enough time spent in it and I didn't like the way they got the dwarfs with the elfs this time around.

Still a pretty great experience, and Smaug was so well done. MacKellen himself was glorious as always.. I think it's impossible for me to ever think about the character of Gandalf and picture anyone else.

Saw Apt Pupil yesterday. From a pure Ian McKellen standpoint, he was phenomenal. His eyes seem to have so much storytelling in it that you don't even need dialogue for him. When he does speak, though, he just absolutely engages you.

His death throes were horrible though, I ended up laughing instead of being shocked.

As for the movie itself, though, it was pretty average, Brad Renfro kinda' sucked balls. The cast around him were great, with McKellen, Elias Koteas and David Schwimmer and Michael Bynre had an awesome little role as one of the Jews who was imprisoned in Patin.

I watched The Shadow, which had him as part of the supporting cast. Terrible film, I don't know why the Wikipedia entry compares it to the Phantom and the Rocketeer, I felt those movies were aware of their campiness while this one tried to be what Batman Begins was.