EWB Film Club

Jimmy

How are we going to do this?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How are we going to do this?

• We take it on turns to nominate five films, then we vote on which one we'll watch.
    • A film a decade from 1910-2010
    • A-Z film
    • A different genre every week.
    • Take in turns to nominate a director, or actor, and everyone has to watch one film of theirs.
    • 10 films from 10 different countries.
    • Other

I just watched The Seventh Seal...and it didn't live up the hype for me. It really lacked the kind of human involvement I got from Wild Strawberries (which, the more I reflect, the more I realise it could be one of my favourites of all time). As you'd expect from Bergman, there's some beautiful imagery and some really interesting stuff in there, I just never got involved. I think it's a film I'll revisit very soon. Will probably watch another one or two Bergman films this week if I get time, he's such an interesting filmmaker. Really quite gutted this didn't tick the boxes for me.

It'd be cool to get a few other people jumping back in. I know Srar's still about, but if we could get it up to just 5 or 6, that'd be cool. Enjoyed the discussion more this week, and hopefully Bergman's not too much after doing Kar-Wai.

I've been out of town for the best part of two weeks - hoping to catch up a bit with this :-)

• Like 1

Had some spare time, so watched Cries and Whispers today. I've only seen three films, but it's clear Bergman liked working with the same actors over and over again. It's an incredibly disturbing film, and by no means an easy watch, but it's very effective and emotive and it says a lot about the negative side of the human psychology. It's really worth watching and it's another film which keeps making me wanna watch more Bergman films.

So, I followed in Jimmy's footsteps and my first Ingmar Bergman film was Cries and Whispers. And what a way it was to introduce me to Ingmar Bergman. Just like Jimmy said it's very disturbing. Especially the scene where Agnes lies on bed breathing heavy. Also some moments between Maria and Karin are hard to watch. How sisters can be so far away emotionally from each other and put it on film like this is just amazing. What I also found amazing where the last lines of the film:

"Come what may, this is happiness. I cannot wish for anything better. Now, for a few minutes, I can experience perfection. And I feel profoundly grateful to my life, which gives me so much."

and this one also stood out:

"I've received the most wonderful gift anyone can receive in this life. A gift that is called many things: togetherness, companionship, relatedness, affection... I think this is what is called grace"

If you are going to watch a Ingmar Bergman, this one won't let you down!

• Like 1

From what people are saying I don't think I'm interested in this one either :(

Just don't watch Persona. Unless you don't like foreign language films, there's some pretty great stuff of his out there which isn't very weird. I'd love for you to give it a go, but fair enough if not :)