EWB Film Club

Jimmy

How are we going to do this?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How are we going to do this?

• We take it on turns to nominate five films, then we vote on which one we'll watch.
    • A film a decade from 1910-2010
    • A-Z film
    • A different genre every week.
    • Take in turns to nominate a director, or actor, and everyone has to watch one film of theirs.
    • 10 films from 10 different countries.
    • Other

My grandad's cousin was in The Duelists! (Maurice Colbourne).

So no one else watched anything? :( NO, DON'T MAKE THE PROPHECY COME TRUE.

Watching Kingdom of Heaven later at night, hopefully the director's cut is as good as everyone says it is.

Also, Srar, I watched the final cut version of Blade Runner, but supposed other versions are better? This one didn't have any voiceover.

Would it be possible for Jimmy to edit in the choices as we go on the front page? It may make it easier for those of us that may have to catch up, as well as keeping a track of what already has been selected.

EDIT:

My Hitchock film was Saboteur from 1942. Thoughts in spoilers:

As a film not considered in the elite grouping (Vertigo, Birds, etc), possibly due to its 'B-list' cast, I really enjoyed it. The tempo of the whole thing was excellent and never allowed you to dwell on one portion of the story for too long.

It was obvious that the film was, in a way, a propaganda piece - there were one too many monologues from the protagonistic supporting cast that was pro-Democracy etc. Given the timeframe in which it was made though, it makes sense.

I REALLY liked the final sequence on the Statue of Liberty. A particular highlight was, in the very last scene, how instead of using a lot of non-diegetic string sections to build the tension of the perilous situation, Hitch actually had virtually no sound support at all. It might it all the more tense.

I found the acting to be soild, with one or two standouts (Robert Cummings, Otto Kruger and Vaughan Glaser). A film definitely worth seeing once you've exhausted the outright classics. Probably a 4/5.

I shall hopefully have a Scott flick done over this weekend too.