True Detective

livid

It wasn't bad, and certainly didn't deserve as much shit as it got, but it wasn't as good as season one.  Waaaaaaay too much time spent on pretty meaningless character backstory, while the crime itself is revealed in brief conversations and hushed whispers.  Actually, fucking everything is hush whispers, whoever the hell was in charge of audio clarity needs to be fired.  They missed the mark they were going for, as none of their backstories were at all integral to the plot, whereas last season it was an essential part of the plot.  Plus the mystery was far better last year, whereas this year it seemed pretty diluted.

Plus with the crime, there was way too much going on and the importance of the different parts shifted wildly as we went.  

This. I personally enjoyed watching it and I will watch Season 3 if they ever do another one but this was nowhere near as good as Season 1.

So I'm sure some of you have seen this by now but the opening dream scene of Episode 3 with Ray and his father was an exact description of Ray's eventual death.  I wonder if that explains more of him looking up at the trees in the end, perhaps replaying the description of his death in his head and accepting the finality of his situation.

Finished it.

Don't think it was bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it was thoroughly mediocre. Take away the great cinematography the show enjoys and I don't really think it holds up as anything above average. Rachel McAdam was probably the highlight for me, she gave a solid performance throughout.

• 2 years later...

Two years later...

This podcast (I was There Too) came out today and I found it charming.

http://rss.art19.com/episodes/1d93a01a-cbad-42c1-aa86-65f2feb6c28c.mp3

Actress Azure Parsons joins Matt this week to discuss her role as Charmaine Boudreaux on the hit television series “True Detective.” She tells Matt about her first reaction to reading her part as well as the strategies she took to enmesh herself into such a dark mindset. Then, she shares the unusual way in which she nabbed the role and her recollections of run-ins with Woody Harrelson. Later, Matt gets fellow “True Detective” actors Christopher Berry and Dave Davis on the line to talk about getting roughed up by Matthew McConaughey and how they landed on the right motivations for their characters.

I never did get around to watching season two. :unsure:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

season 3's set to begin filming in northwestern Arkansas early next year.

An official synopsis reads, “The next installment of ‘True Detective’ tells the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods.” [Mahershala] Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, an Arkansas State Police detective. Carmen Ejogo will play Amelia Reardon, a school teacher with a connection to two missing children in 1980.  “True Detective” is created by Nic Pizzolatto.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/hbo-series-true-detective-to-begin-filming-in-nwa-soon/886580541

• 3 weeks later...

Scoot McNairy has joined the cast

Godless star Scoot McNairy has been cast opposite Mahershala Ali, Carmen Ejogo and Stephen Dorff in the third season of Nic Pizzolatto’s HBO crime anthology series True Detective.

Season 3 will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from northwest Arkansas.

McNairy will play Tom, a father who suffers a terrible loss which ties his fate to that of two state police detectives over ten years.

As with the breakout original installment of True Detective, Pizzolatto is the sole writer of the third season with the exception of Episode 4, which he co-wrote with David Milch. Jeremy Saulnier is the Season 3 director alongside Pizzolatto, who will make his directorial debut.

Pizzolatto, who also serves as showrunner, executive produces with Saulnier and returning executive producers Scott Stephens; Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, who toplined Season 1; Cary Joji Fukunaga, who directed Season 1; along with Scott Stephens, Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown.

McNairy stars in Netflix’s Godless and recently wrapped The Legacy Of A Whitetail Deer Hunter with Josh Brolin and Danny McBride. He also was recently cast in The H Collective’s upcoming feature The Parts You Lose.

McNairy is repped by WME and John Pierce at The Group Management.

• 11 months later...

...aaaaand it's back!

I thought it was really good. The acting is great too, which is to be expected from Ali and even Scoot McNairy but Stephen Dorff is killing it too! Even though his 80s haircut makes him look a lot like Dennis Quaid. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With one episode left I feel like I need to chime in again and say this season has been great. I knew going in that Mahershala Ali would be great but Stephen Dorff has really been outstanding as well. The story has also been great.

It's definitely a rebound from S2. 

• 4 years later...