Kevin Ward dies at Sprint Car Race

Adding to that, it's better to be out on the track where you have the power to avoid cars (not trying to hit you) then stay in your car where you have no control over your position.

I don't care how mad someone gets for being bumped or forced into a wall. Getting out of the car and walking into oncoming cars while dressed completely in black was just beyond a dumb decision. Add to that, those cars are very hard to control on dirt. It's not like asphalt where its relatively easy to predict how the car will handle when the brakes or accelerator are hit. Just a terrible situation for all involved, but the whole thing could have been avoided by the guy staying in his car and addressing Stewart in the pits.

Adding to that, it's better to be out on the track where you have the power to avoid cars (not trying to hit you) then stay in your car where you have no control over your position.

Not buying that. It's much easier for drivers to see a huge car to the side of the track than a person in a black jump suit. It's also hard to see out of the side of those models.

• Like 1

This took place about two hours from where I (and iDOL) live and obviously the amount of attention it's getting is huge. I would never expect anything like this to happen at a dirt track, especially one so close.

And I can see where Ward was coming from. These guys don't have millions to pour into their cars, so any money that goes into it is probably his. When some big name like Tony Stewart comes in and crashes you, he probably took offense to it because of his status and name (in other words, wanting to hang with the big guns) so he got out and that's what happened. Sad sad situation and I hate it when ANY death takes place in a sport, but NASCAR has to be the most dangerous sport just because of the equipment they are using and at what speeds.

Apart from the fact that any time you go racing you get told "anything goes wrong DON'T GET OUT OF THE CAR until there is someone there to help you"?

Just read (as in red) this, and it explains why (in this guy's opinion) Stewart hit him. http://www.motorsport.com/sprint/news/yes-tony-stewart-did-run-over-a-fellow-driver-who-was-killed-but-know-the-whole-story/

He climbed from his car, and began striding down the track, obviously looking for Stewart, whose car was approaching at a reduced speed under the caution flag, but still traveling at perhaps 40 mph. Ward was pointing a finger at Stewart’s car and moved toward it.

It appears Stewart saw him at the last second, and swerved, but still hit Ward hard enough to toss him like a rag doll at least 20 feet down the track. An autopsy is pending, but it seems likely Ward suffered a broken neck, though he still had his helmet and head restraint device on, but the device only works when you are strapped into your car. Stewart stopped about a hundred feet down the track. Emergency workers were there in second. Indeed, Stewart may have hit the gas, but you steer sprint cars with the throttle for more than the steering wheel. The idea that he accelerated trying to hit Ward is beyond the pale.

Also:

I'm not planning on watching it, but is that the general gist of it, man walks on racetrack and gets hit by car? I don't even know what sprint cars are to be fair, but I'm imagining its the standard oval thing?

A sprint car is basically made to be a lightweight, fast car, but they wreck easily if you don't know what you are doing. They have no starter, so they must be push started. They are also driven a lot different from normal stock cars like the ones in Nascar Races.

Edited by rdylanm01

Sprint racing isn't NASCAR, but I get your point. And yeah, a driver getting out isn't very rare at all. A buddy of mine races sprints and said that when you wreck, if you aren't injured, you should get out of the car ASAP. You never know when has could be leaking and if someone hits you that could be it.

He shouldn't have made a point to head down the track though. Several drivers have stalked other drivers on the track but it's always been during a caution. You can't pull that shit while the flag is green.

That said Tony Stewart is one of the best drivers in the world. I believe 100% he intended to scare the kid. He's a prick, but I don't think he had any intention of runnig him over.

Sprint racing isn't NASCAR, but I get your point. And yeah, a driver getting out isn't very rare at all. A buddy of mine races sprints and said that when you wreck, if you aren't injured, you should get out of the car ASAP. You never know when has could be leaking and if someone hits you that could be it.

He shouldn't have made a point to head down the track though. Several drivers have stalked other drivers on the track but it's always been during a caution. You can't pull that shit while the flag is green.

That said Tony Stewart is one of the best drivers in the world. I believe 100% he intended to scare the kid. He's a prick, but I don't think he had any intention of runnig him over.

There was a caution.

• 1 month later...

So has Ward's father made any comments since the grand jury decision? Feel sorry for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he accused the court of faking the test results.

Not sure if it came directly from Kevin Ward Sr or not but the family have stated that they won't let this rest. Or words to that effect, They still blame Stewart.

So basically they're going to harass Stewart because they refuse to accept that their son is dead because he was a dumbass, and pot possibly contributed to his bad judgment? riiiiight.....

And they want a fat payday...allegedly.