2015 Africa Cup of Nations

Lineker

• Admin

Teams arriving at the Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea have been forced to search for places to sleep because of a lack of hotel rooms.

Congo coach Claude Le Roy said five of his 35-strong party attending the tournament did not have accommodation.

He revealed that the hotel the bulk of his team are in lacks running water and has exposed electrical cables.

Burkina Faso coach Paul Put also criticised facilities, saying the event should have been delayed until June.

Equatorial Guinea is staging the tournament at short notice because Morocco was stripped of the right in November.

Morocco was reluctant to host the three-week event because of heath fears following the Ebola outbreak.

Congo, who play Equatorial Guinea in their opening game on Saturday, are based in the port city of Bata.

"There are not enough places for my staff and it's even difficult to find rooms for the players," Le Roy told the BBC World Service.

"The electricity is terrible, everything is exposed. I wanted to wash my hands. There was no water.

"Some of my assistants went around to see if there were rooms available somewhere but it seems very very difficult."

Le Roy said Congo had not received any help from the Confederation of African Football, adding that his party had arrived a day before they were officially due to because they expected organisational problems.

"I'm not disappointed, that's what I was expecting," he added, when asked about his side's accommodation.

"I don't want a big five-star hotel. I just want something very clean."

Le Roy said he had told the players to make sure they qualify for the last eight so they will get a "very nice hotel" when other teams leave.

Put said that some of his players were feeling unwell and angry after their disrupted preparation.

He added that "time was too short to organise a tournament like this", even though Equatorial Guinea acted as co-hosts of the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations with Gabon.

The tournament starts on Saturday and ends on Sunday, 8 February.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
Guinea have reached the Africa Cup of Nations quarter-finals at the expense of Mali after the drawing of lots. Michel Dussuyer's side will face Ghana on Sunday following the draw at a Malabo hotel. Guinea and Mali had finished level in Group D after they drew all three pool matches 1-1. It is the first time lots have decided a team's qualification in the tournament since 1988, when Algeria profited at Ivory Coast's expense.

• Admin
Rajindraparsad Seechurn of Mauritius, the referee at the centre of the controversial penalty decision that helped the hosts Equatorial Guinea reach the semi-finals of the Africa Cup of Nations, the Confederation of African Football said in a statement on Tuesday.
He has also been removed from the list of top African officials, effectively ending his international career.
Equatorial Guinea were on the brink of elimination trailing 1-0 to Tunisia in the 90th minute when Seechurn ruled that Ivan Bolado had been fouled. Javier Balboa equalised from the spot and they went on to win 2-1 in extra-time.
The Tunisia team, some of whom attempted to attack the referee after Saturday’s quarter-final defeat in Bata, were handed a $50,000 (£33,000) fine but no individual sanctions were announced.
Equatorial Guinea were also sanctioned for poor security at the match. They play Ghana on Sunday.