Tennis!

sahyder1

Murray looked quite good in his first round victory. The problem he's had since his return has been having his body hold up to string wins together in tournaments. It's meant that he's not been able to reach a seeded ranking, so he's the absolute worst first round opponent for any players who are seeded.

It was good to see Harriet Dart and Jack Draper winning as well. I think there's a fair chance that Raducanu might lose her match because she has a tough draw, so having a few British players in the second round is welcome.

In non-British player news, Serena Williams won, while Tsitsipas and Halep lost. Venus plays tomorrow, with the sisters joining together in the doubles tournament later in the week.

• Like 2

I also read that a first round defeat for Raducanu could see her drop outside the top 80 players in the world, with a second round loss likely to take her out of the top 50. As she went through qualifying last year, she'll drop places even if she wins the tournament.

3 hours ago, Chris2K said:

No fairytale this year, quite the opposite in fact. It's like she's a completely different player.

All the pressure on Raducanu this year has clearly had an effect. She said she was happy she could build her way back up now.

She will fall to around 80 now. To be in the top 100 ordinarily as a teenager is a great achievement, yet for a Grand Slam winner it looks poor. It isn't, hopefully Emma can build on her game and come on stronger next year. She needs to find a way back to playing with freedom - she said she felt that when she blew away Serena and Azarenka the other week and hopefully that'll be a focus for her now.

Cornet was a tough Round 1 draw too. She knocked Swiatek out of Wimbledon just as easily when she was on an unbelievable winning streak and favourite for the tournament.

6 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Naomi Osaka also lost. The women's game is hard to follow if you're not a total diehard because of just the shear number of players who are so close to each other in skill.

Osaka, in fairness, hasn't been anywhere near the same player since everything transpired last year at the French Open. She's not made it to the second week of a Grand Slam since, IIRC. Danielle Collins is also a pretty good hard court player, so she had a tough draw. 

I'm curious to see if Serena can do it again tonight. Knotaveit has not had a good year at all, but she's the 2 seed for a reason. I love Serena, but we all know she's not the same player anymore. I think she goes out tonight, either in 3 sets, or a straight set loss after a tight first set. Winning the first set is pivotal for her.

That was a great match, and yet it was so hard to not be frustrated because she really should've taken that match in straight sets too! Collapsed serving at 5-3 in the first set, and then won the second set in a tiebreak after blowing a 5-2 lead. 

Heck even the third set was so much closer than a 6-1 scoreline. Serena just couldn't get the late points she needed and just ran out of steam. She played some really great tennis, but it was unfortunately just too much tennis in a short time period for an out of practice 40 year old.

She'll still be the best to ever play the women's game for me. Such an amazing talent.