Tennis!

sahyder1

He'll make a statement about never returning to play in the Australian Open again shortly. Calling it.

FJK22vZXEAANCp1.jpeg

Just saw this tweet...

One of Djokovic's arguments against the cancellation of his visa is that "Cancelling Mr Djokovic's visa would prejudice Australia's economic interests, and jeopardise the viability of Australia continuing to host the Australian Open".

Seriously, what a twat.

• Admin

Doubts have emerged over the timing of the positive Covid test Novak Djokovic used to enter Australia to try to compete in the Australian Open.

It was provided to exempt him from rules barring unvaccinated people.

However, the serial number on his test on 16 December appears out of sequence with a sample of tests from Serbia over this period gathered by the BBC.

It is also higher than for his second (negative) test result from six days later.

His visa application was ultimately rejected, but not on these grounds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59999541

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alcaraz seems like the real deal. He ought to be challenging for Grand Slams over the next couple of years, and perhaps earlier if Djokovic keeps being silly.

The male game has seen a lot of promising youngsters never quite reach the level of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic (and Murray to a lesser extent) over the last fifteen years or so. Tsonga, Dimitrov, Nishikori, Monfils and Gasquet all made it towards the business end of Grand Slams, but couldn't quite get there. Zverev hasn't seemed to make the step-up in Slams yet either.

Way too many people in Spain (and I don't just mean regular fans like you and me) are saying he'll be much better than Nadal ever was.

Regardless of how undeniably talented he is and also regardless of your feelings towards Nadal, that is putting waaaay too much pressure on an 18 year old. I don't like it.

4 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Alcaraz seems like the real deal. He ought to be challenging for Grand Slams over the next couple of years, and perhaps earlier if Djokovic keeps being silly.

The male game has seen a lot of promising youngsters never quite reach the level of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic (and Murray to a lesser extent) over the last fifteen years or so. Tsonga, Dimitrov, Nishikori, Monfils and Gasquet all made it towards the business end of Grand Slams, but couldn't quite get there. Zverev hasn't seemed to make the step-up in Slams yet either.

There's multiple generations who the Big Three basically prevented from being multi-time Grand Slam winners. Murray was easily the best of that bunch and if not for injuries could have probably wound up with 5 or 6 Grand Slams I'd wager. In his prime he was as good as the rest, just had a very short peak.

But it's an incredibly long list of names who won 1 (usually when 2 or 3 of the Big Three were out or not at their best) or 0 Grand Slams. Compare to the women's game which has had an incredible amount of depth and so many one or two time winners, despite 20 years of Williams dominance. I think the men's game has to be due for something similar, adding to how uniquely special the current era has been. There will always be one, or two, who tower above the rest but even they will be beat on their day.

Maybe I'm biased, but Andy Murray was capable of winning 10 Grand Slams minimum. He has won 3, and lost 6 finals, all of which were to Federer or Djokovic. He's also lost multiple extremely tight semi-finals and was at times as good if not better than the Big 3 for stretches.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...