Tennis!

sahyder1

It is remarkable, beyond anything I could put into words most likely.

What Emma Raducanu has done this month is one of the biggest achievements in the history of professional tennis, if not sport as a whole. To do it at 18 years of age, as a qualifier, in only her fourth senior tournament, is mind-blowing. 

• Like 1

Just amazing stuff. So chuffed for her after all the shit she got at Wimbledon. Even just beating Belinda Bencic (Olympic gold medalist) is a big deal. To go on and win the whole thing is Maria Sharapova winning Wimbledon levels of amazing. But even more unexpected and impressive.

Hope the media don't start interfering with her and let her enjoy this success at least.

Having your flight home booked a few weeks prior shows where the expectations were set. I think every flight home from now on will have to wait until the day after a tournament ends.

To win 10 matches without losing a set and win a Grand Slam is ridiculous. She looked so composed too. 

Medvedev seems like a knob, but this is a more interesting result than another Djokovic victory would have been. Complete dominance is boring.

The US Open has had six different male winners in the last ten years, which is unusual when compared with the other Slams. The Australian Open and French Open have had three different champions, while Wimbledon has had four.

• 4 weeks later...

Really surprised and impressed, only seen the highlights but he looked strong. Wonder where he will build a good run next. I also didn't realise he had such a complex upbringing - born South African to Scottish/Welsh parents, grew up in New Zealand, sporting school career in the US...he's an international man of tennis.

• 1 month later...

That's a shame. She's only 30. Still, reaching three Grand Slam semi-finals is nothing to scoff at, and she proved in her prime that she could compete with the best players in the world. I hoped she would be able to rediscover that kind of form, but she should still go down as one of Britain's top Open Era players.

• 1 month later...