Tennis!

sahyder1

Nalbandian a few years ago at Queens when he kicked an advertising board into the shin of a line judge during the final and Denis Shapovalov in the Davis Cuo are the most recent big ones, Henman at Wimbledon 1995 in the doubles is more accurate to what happened here.

According to the court mics, Djokovic's defence was:

"She doesn't have to go to the hospital for this." He added: "You're going to choose a default in this situation? My career, Grand Slam, centre stage."

I assume you can just injure anyone in the vicinity and it's fine if they don't have to go to hospital.

• Thanks 1

Pretty much all media, reporters, tennis players are all saying it's the correct decision in the context of the sport and, if anything, that they debated it for so long was probably down to the stature of the player - a lesser ranked player would have been DQ'd immediately. 

He's done it before too, at the French Open but the ball just missed hitting the line judge so he wasn't DQed.

It's the right decision. His pleading arrogance sums him up, he did it accidentally but also out of frustration because he'd just had his serve broken and it put Carreno Busta on the brink of winning the opening set.

So the finals will be Osaka vs. Azarenka and Thiem vs. Zverev. This is a rare occasion on which the men's competition has been more open than the women's.

Thiem or Zverev will become the first male singles Grand Slam winner born in the 1990s, which is quite amazing. Tennis used to be thought of as a young person's game, so it's a testament to how good Federer, Nadal and Djokovic has been that there are no male Grand Slam winners under the age of 30.

• Like 2

I'm glad for Thiem. He lost his previous three Grand Slam finals and had the harder route to the final, so he was the sentimental favourite.

A piece of trivia I found interesting was that Naomi Osaka was the first woman to win the final from a set down since 1994. You'd think that would be more common in three-set matches.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...