Metal Gear Solid V - The Phantom Pain

9 to 5

Red Dead even >_>

Altho Read Deed would make an excellent cowboy themed solicitor sandbox game.

Just now, Bobfoc said:

The graphics and framerate balance is cleverly done in this game. In most console games, developers tend to opt for 30fps in order to make the graphics look nicer, presumably because pretty screenshots sell more copies than a feature you can only see in motion. In MGS V, the textures are actually fairly simple when viewed up close, but the lighting effects are so good that you don't notice, and the less "detailed" visuals allow for the 60fps target to be achieved.

Please, PC gamer here >_>

My boss just started playing this, and I had mentioned previously I love the MGS series, so now he asks me for advice everyday when we're working.  Its really hard to try and give him hints of what to do without spoiling the story

Don't forget the 3D holographic maps!

He had to kidnap a team of engineers to figure out how to build a cardboard box. Figure that one out.

• Like 3

I think it's part of Kojima's idiotic charm. In Metal Gear Solid 3, for example, he goes to absurd lengths to try to explain some of the technological mumbo-jumbo involved in the story, but skilfully avoids the question of why you're fighting a Russian colonel who can electrocute people with his bare hands, a backflipping human-chameleon hybrid and a fat bloke who shoots bees out his mouth.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Despite getting MGS1, 2, 3 and 4 on launch (with 4 sent over early from a videogame store mate when I was living in Japan), I held off on this for ages because I wanted a PS4 to play it on.

Well I'm not getting a PS4 any time soon so got it on PS3 a few weeks ago. Been really busy so not played much (4 missions and a few side missions) but prologue aside (just piled danger onto danger onto danger and tired me out now I'm old) I'm utterly in love.

It's like the SAS game I always wanted....but with firey demon men, female Psycho Mantis types and getting bonuses for tying sheep to balloons.

8 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Despite getting MGS1, 2, 3 and 4 on launch (with 4 sent over early from a videogame store mate when I was living in Japan), I held off on this for ages because I wanted a PS4 to play it on.

Well I'm not getting a PS4 any time soon so got it on PS3 a few weeks ago. Been really busy so not played much (4 missions and a few side missions) but prologue aside (just piled danger onto danger onto danger and tired me out now I'm old) I'm utterly in love.

It's like the SAS game I always wanted....but with firey demon men, female Psycho Mantis types and getting bonuses for tying sheep to balloons.

I get way too annoyed in this game. But thats fine because I can shoot my way out! And I have my own personal attack WobbleChops.

• Like 1

Think on my last playthrough of Snake Eater, my kill count was in single digits the entire time.  I don't recall killing anyone in TPP, aside from those killed by Quiet anyway

On 4/20/2016 at 03:54, Benji said:

Snake is a hipster.

Actually, now that I think about it, this explains why he gets rid of the mullet in the 80s.

• 2 weeks later...

Weirdish question, is this like the other MGS games with loads of talking and ungainly controls? It's on sale for PC and was considering it, but didn't like 2 or that Snake Eater one (which I gave up on after like 20 minutes because I just found it so hard to get my head around the controls). 

A lot of the talking has been taken out and made optional with audio tapes - you'll hardly ever get long cutscenes in the middle of a mission. If you played Snake Eater when it originally came out it was the version with the camera that was set in stone and since they remastered that, all the games have had a controllable camera. Controls are better than they were then as well.. honestly, time has seeped in and given it a better run of things.

8 hours ago, Quom said:

Weirdish question, is this like the other MGS games with loads of talking and ungainly controls? It's on sale for PC and was considering it, but didn't like 2 or that Snake Eater one (which I gave up on after like 20 minutes because I just found it so hard to get my head around the controls). 

I'm not a massive lover of MGS and I hadn't played one since the first one of PS1. I really like the game. I enjoy the open world and that if you want you can just go Rambo style without getting penalised. Stealth is fun but occasionally you just wanna roll up in your tank and blast fools. If you can suspend your belief the story is fine and the cutscenes can be a bit cheesy but nothing offensive. If it is cheap I would go for it.