Metal Gear Solid V - The Phantom Pain

9 to 5

I got this game when I bought my PS4 in mid-September but only played about an hour or so of it. Picked it back up last night as I've been off work all week.

I've just done chapter 5; is it me, because I'm so early on, or is there little in storyline? It started off great with THE MAN ON FIRE... and now, just... Seems like VR missions than an actual story.

Well (spoilers in white text)

Sniper Wolf Quiet, who can kill you as soon as she sees you no matter what

can be annoying if you try to S-rank it.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

There was an update earlier this week. 

After you lose Quiet, if you go back and replay Mission, I think its 11...the one were you get her the first time.  AFter replaying it an random amount of times, it'll eventually get "Reunion" added in front of it.  Play it AGAIN and you can get Quiet back for use

Fuck this game. I'm on 'Hellbound' which is 12 I think and I hadn't played in ages. Kept getting killed because I was impatient, came back last night and spent about an hour and a half getting through the base, never finding who I'm looking for. Presumably he's in the only building I didn't get search, the one I got spotted and killed on the way to :/

I wouldn't mind, I did mission 11 which id heard was really hard and it was actually really easy. 

• 4 months later...

Bump.

Okay, I've just started playing this and I was hoping someone could clue me in on WTF is going on. Last Metal Gear I played was the second one on the PS2 (I think), what is going on storyline wise? Why are we in 1985 with some iPad type shit and a cybernetic hand? Is there a timeline divergence I don't know about?

36 minutes ago, MDK said:

Bump.

Okay, I've just started playing this and I was hoping someone could clue me in on WTF is going on. Last Metal Gear I played was the second one on the PS2 (I think), what is going on storyline wise? Why are we in 1985 with some iPad type shit and a cybernetic hand? Is there a timeline divergence I don't know about?

This might help

The TL;DR version, MGS3 is the start of the story in the 60's, the PSP games and MGS5 bridge the gap (so far) to the MSX Metal Gear games which then follow onto MGS1, MGS2 and MGS4. If you want the story the video explains it the best it can without spoiling MGS5.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheWho87 said:

This might help

The TL;DR version, MGS3 is the start of the story in the 60's, the PSP games and MGS5 bridge the gap (so far) to the MSX Metal Gear games which then follow onto MGS1, MGS2 and MGS4. If you want the story the video explains it the best it can without spoiling MGS5.

I still don't understand. But there is a bit with a puppy?!

9 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

And from what i've heard, the MGS5 story is pretty damn crap anyways, even compared to the other insano MGS stories.

So just take most things with a pinch of salt, because the game is all about the gameplay rather than story...

Oh yeah, I know, but I was just confused about being in Afghan, during the cold war, with what is basically an iPhone.

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Oh yeah, I know, but I was just confused about being in Afghan, during the cold war, with what is basically an iPhone.

99816507ac383fc9e953fe6c16d6de629b0c2d22

• Like 4

It's basically down to technology and gameplay mechanics becoming so advanced now that it would be unreasonable to force outdated methods of playing, whilst also wanting to make a game set decades ago, regardless how ridiculous it ends up.

6 hours ago, Kaney said:

It's basically down to technology and gameplay mechanics becoming so advanced now that it would be unreasonable to force outdated methods of playing, whilst also wanting to make a game set decades ago, regardless how ridiculous it ends up.

I don't mind that it is ridiculous but it really threw me off guard. I'm sure it'll end up that its all a dream or that a kid is playing the game at the end.

1 minute ago, thatshortguy said:

The story goes that Kojima & Co. had one demand in regards to gameplay:  60 FPS or bust.  This and GTA V were the games that absolutely spoiled me to 60 FPS.

And they should have said that this one should have a coherent storyline >_>

It looks stunning. And all this riding around on a horse in a desert is making me pine for Read Dead.

The graphics and framerate balance is cleverly done in this game. In most console games, developers tend to opt for 30fps in order to make the graphics look nicer, presumably because pretty screenshots sell more copies than a feature you can only see in motion. In MGS V, the textures are actually fairly simple when viewed up close, but the lighting effects are so good that you don't notice, and the less "detailed" visuals allow for the 60fps target to be achieved.