Muhammad Ali passes away

FLiam

It's odd that it's being reported in a lot of places, but not the type of places that I'm confident in. 

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/15904925/boxing-great-muhammad-ali-hospital-respiratory-issue

Muhammad Ali has been hospitalized and is being treated for a respiratory issue, family spokesman Bob Gunnell said in a statement Thursday.

"He is being treated by his team of doctors and is in fair condition," Gunnell said in a statement datelined from Phoenix, where Ali lives. "A brief hospital stay is expected. At this time, the Muhammad Ali family respectfully requests privacy."

This was reported in reliable places yesterday, but I'm not seeing too much about the life support and calling family to bedside from reputable places. Hopefully it's people stretching a story and he'll be fine. 

Edited by Pizza

3 hours ago, Lineker said:

We've still seen nothing here but we've put his obituary on standby, ready to go just in case the worst should happen :( 

Even though I learned how this works years ago, it's still weird to me.

Edited by Blaze09
  • Like 1

Possibly the most famous sportsman ever. There were times when his brash nature went too far, such as in the build-up to the final Joe Frazier fight, but, by all accounts, he mellowed in his later years and without doubt set the standard for showmanship and proficiency in the ring. The Fight of the Century, Thriller in Manila and Rumble in the Jungle are iconic names in sporting history and have led to increasingly uninspired attempts at replication.

It's been sad to see Ali in such poor health for all these years, and, although his death is sad for his family and friends, he at least won't be suffering any more.

I was hoping the media were exaggerating with their reporting of his condition as today progressed, but sadly they were not.

Rest in peace to Muhammad Ali, an inspiration to all and a symbol of hope, pride and excellence for all black people. He'll always be the greatest.